Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [26]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [2]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2729 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [1]
Send PM
Re: According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries i [#permalink]
Bookmarks
A. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than
B. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as [– more closely than – not as - Eliminate it]

C. whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and
hippos—than they are – they has referent issue

D. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as they are [– more closely than – not as - Eliminate it]

E. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than – a group includes - agreement issue

Answer:A
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries i [#permalink]
Bookmarks
prince13 wrote:
Hi, encountered this on GMATPREP ... any ideas/explanation? thx

(Q28 of Practice Test 1)
According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

A. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than
B. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as
C. whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than they are
D. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as they are
E. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than

A.
1. needs that
2. More than
2. a group ......... that .......... includes.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2729 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT TIGER wrote:
A.
1. needs that
2. More than

GMAT TIGER, I sometimes get confused with the usage of "that", when do we know that the sentence requires "that" ?

I really appreciate any help :)

Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
amitdgr wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
A.
1. needs that
2. More than

GMAT TIGER, I sometimes get confused with the usage of "that", when do we know that the sentence requires "that" ?

Thanks

My rule for this one: when there are two clauses, the "that" as a conjunction is better to use. Lets see how it looks like with and without that:

1: With that:

According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

2: Without that:

According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

with that sounds better, right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Hi guys,

IMHO: A

B the sentence between '-' has an error: the subject is 'group' and therefore, it should be 'includes' instead of 'include'

C same error

D it has being... I usually discard answers that containg the word 'being'

E same error than B and C

OA?

Cheers

prince13 wrote:
Hi, encountered this on GMATPREP ... any ideas/explanation? thx

(Q28 of Practice Test 1)

B. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as
C. whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than they are
D. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as they are
E. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3891 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I looked for conjunction "that" it is only in A and B, so eliminate C, D and E. now in B idiomatic error "more ...so" there fore eliminate B as well and the ans is A.

IMO A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
A it is

recent fossil discoveries show that A, B, and C are more closely related to X than to Y.

group is singular and thus need "includes"

A. that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than - CORRECT

C. whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than they are - also 'that' is missing

D. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—as they are - 'that' is missing

E. whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than - 'that' is missing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [4]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries i [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
There are 2 very easy decision points here
1) A group of hoofed mammals :- SINGULAR , so correct verb would be "INCLUDES" not "INCLUDE"
2) The correct idiom is MORE THAN

So look out for the correct SV (Subject-Verb) and Idiom use in the given options

According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—"a group of hoofed mammals" that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

CORRECT:- This is a perfect Grammatical composition. Nothing wrong with it

WRONG SV + WRONG IDIOM "More as"

WRONG SV

WRONG IDIOM "More as"

WRONG SV

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 06 Aug 2016, 22:34.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 03 Aug 2020, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
amitdgr wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
A.
1. needs that
2. More than

Thanks

Sentence Structure
Subject Verb
According to two teams of palaeontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

Simplifying the sentence (for easy understanding)
According to two teams of palaeontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates—a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos—than to any other mammals.

The two underlined portions are clauses which should be connected properly. They are connected properly only in answer choices (A) & (B).

P.S. Answer choices (C), (D), & (E) are also incorrect for other errors.

Thanks
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil [#permalink]
According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - than to any other mammals.

a) that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - than - Correct
b) that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - as --> idiom issue -- more .. than
c) whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - than they are - show that is needed
d) whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - as they are - show that is needed
e) whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates - a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos - than - show that is needed

Answer A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hello, can anyone clarify the comparison used in A and C ?
Are they correct or not ?

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Experts, can you please clarify the use of "that".
For instance, consider this question: "According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show THAT whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest ... "

If do not find any specific reason why "THAT" is required.
As far as I know, "that" can be omitted if a noun/noun phrase follows it.

A similar question was raised here and the respondent has explained that it sounds better.
Can you please shed more light on it?
PS: I am not even able to comprehend the specific reason why I used "That" in the sentence "A similar question .. better"
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries i [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
aniket16c wrote:
For instance, consider this question: "According to two teams of paleontologists, recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show THAT whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest ... "

Hi Aniket, let's consider the following two options, one without "that" and the other with "that":
(i) ...recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show whales...
(ii) ...recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show THAT whales...

When you see these two options, the question you should be asking is: Did recent fossil discoveries show whales or Did recent fossil discoveries show something about whales?

Clearly, the answer is that recent fossil discoveries show something about whales (that whales are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates). Hence, addition of that is important from a meaning clarity perspective.

Note that in some sentences, GMAT might not consider this meaning related nuance an issue at all (if none of the five answer choices mentions a that), but in cases where some options do mention that and other's don't, you should perform the above meaning analysis to arrive at the right answer.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this meaning nuance, its application and examples. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aniket16c wrote:

If do not find any specific reason why "THAT" is required.
As far as I know, "that" can be omitted if a noun/noun phrase follows it.

A similar question was raised here and the respondent has explained that it sounds better.
Can you please shed more light on it?
PS: I am not even able to comprehend the specific reason why I used "That" in the sentence "A similar question .. better"
If we see a that after show, we normally expect a clause after the that.

Research shows that these strategies are of no use.
these strategies + are

Here you can choose whether to keep the that, or drop it and end up with something like this:

Research shows these strategies are of no use.

Both are correct, although I'd advise you to prefer an option that keeps the that in the sentence.

However, if you don't see a clause there, the question could be asking you to take a grammar call.

Research shows these strategies to be of no use.
Research shows that these strategies to be of no use.

Option C:
Recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates...
Read this as show X to be Y. If you use a that instead, you'll get:

Recent fossil discoveries in Pakistan show that whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates...
Here we don't have a verb for whales, porpoises, and dolphins, which means that we can't go for a that after show.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
show sombody to do
exist in the dictionary.

show something as
dose not exist in the dictionary

can I conclude that "show something as" is incorrect and that "show something to do" is correct?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
prince13 wrote:

(A) that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates — a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos — than

(B) that whales, porpoises, and dolphins are more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates — a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos — as

(C) whales, porpoises, and dolphins to be more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates — a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos — than they are

(D) whales, porpoises, and dolphins as being more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates — a group of hoofed mammals that today includes cows, camels, pigs, and hippos — as they are

(E) whales, porpoises, and dolphins as more closely related to some of the oldest known even-toed ungulates — a group of hoofed mammals that today include cows, camels, pigs, and hippos — than

(Q28 of Practice Test 1) Hi, encountered this on GMATPREP ... any ideas/explanation? thx

without going to comparison we can still get the OA. but I want to talk more of comparison
comparison sentence is hard. you can find some official comparison problems and see how hard they are.

the purpose of comparison is to make clear comparison. we normally use ellipsis . ellipsis makes parallelism which makes comparison clear. if ellipsis make misunderstanding, it is wrong.

if the cut off phrase is the beginning or ending phrase of the second clause, normally we have good sentence. if ellipsis is the phrase in the middle of the second clause of comparison, it make misunderstanding

look at choice c
"than they are to any other animal". is this correct?
in this ellipsis , the middle word is cut off , which is "related".
we can think that we add "related" to "are....to ", and we have correct sentence. but language dose not permit misunderstanding
we do not have "are to any other animal" in the preceding clause, we can not have that phrase in the second clause.

in choice a, "than to any other animals" is correct because we have " more related to some" in the preceding clause.

this is gmat thinking. this thinking is proved by the following sentence from og 2020
Most of the country’s biggest daily newspapers had lower circulation in the six months from October 1995 through March 1996 than a similar period a year earlier.

(A) a similar period

(B) a similar period’s

(C) in a similar period

(D) that in a similar period

(E) that of a similar period

I am not confident of cut off midle phrase, pls comment on this point. thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Here singular 'includes' is needed because if the author intends to give 'include' to mammals he would not have mentioned the 'group' in the first place.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts