Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35482 [211]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [58]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [21]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [7]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: According to United States Air Force officials a cannon shooting [#permalink]
Kudos
generis AjiteshArun GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

I managed to narrow it down to A and E and ultimately went to pick E since
noun form sounded better than the usage of an infinitive as in A.

I rejected B,C and D on account of incorrect usage of itself which according to me
refers to some sort of action, which does not make sense in the context of the sentence.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [10]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Re: According to United States Air Force officials a cannon shooting [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 4: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

According to United States Air Force officials, a cannon shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful to demonstrate what kind of damage can result when jets fly into a flock of large birds.

(A) shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful to demonstrate

(B) shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved itself helpful as a demonstration of

(C) shooting dead chickens at airplanes proves itself helpful as demonstrating

(D) that shoots dead chickens at airplanes proves itself helpful to demonstrate

(E) that shoots dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful in demonstrating

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
The best answer or excellent answers explain concepts or provide reasons for eliminating or keeping an answer choice.

When i Speak in English, and it happens very rarely, :lol: i use "helpful" with preposition "for" " i.e. helpful for something

helpful to do something - is not idiomatic expression, i never heard that combination. if it were "helps to demonstrate" that would be fine

Since i excluded "help to demonstrate' hence i will exclude A and D.

Now left with B, C, E

in B "itself" is rebundunt "the gun didnt prove itself"

in C same issue

In E - everything looks fine to me.

so i will choose E :grin:

Method applied in solving SC is POE (PREDICT: OBSERVE: ELIMINATE) WAY OF SAMURAI :grin: :lol:

Originally posted by dave13 on 10 Nov 2018, 11:58.
Last edited by dave13 on 10 Nov 2018, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35482 [9]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

I rejected B,C and D on account of incorrect usage of itself which according to me
refers to some sort of action, which does not make sense in the context of the sentence.

adkikani , look very carefully at the modifiers of the subject of the sentence.

This official sentence is strange.
Its strange quality deepens when the modifiers are understood.

adkikani , one further hint: isolate the modifiers of the subject and the subject.

Of the two options with modified subjects, which modified subject is clearer?

Frequently, we can condense relative clauses (such as a THAT clause) to participles or participial phrases (such as a verbING word or phrase),
but at times meaning is clearer when we do not condense.
If the participle has multiple meanings that create ambiguity, even if that ambiguity is cleared up by the rest of the sentence, choose the
construction that has no ambiguity.

Noam Chomsky, a famed linguist, captured the essence of the issue with this truly ambiguous example:
Flying planes can be dangerous.
Are the objects moving around in the sky dangerous? [flying planes = planes that are flying]
OR
Is being a pilot dangerous? [Pilots are the people who are flying planes.]

In this question, the modifier in the incorrect answer arguably is neither misplaced nor technically ambiguous.
But its potential to confuse should make the correct choice easier.

Hope that helps. :-)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [2]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
adkikani wrote:

adkikani , look very carefully at the modifiers of the subject of the sentence.

This sentence is hilarious. (Maybe it's funny only to native speakers.) This question was on an actual test. Its hilarity deepens when the modifiers are understood.

Hope that helps. :-)

to me its hilarious with or without modifiers because when i read "shooting dead chickens" i understand that chickens were already dead but they were still being shot by gun :)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [4]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Economics, Strategy
Schools: Ivey '22 (A$)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Between A & E, A looks like the better option because of the difference in meaning.

IMO, a cannon *that shoots* ... in E sounds like the cannon proved helpful in demonstrating the results of a jet flying into a flock of birds.
Whereas, as per the meaning, it should be the entire process of shooting dead chickens to demonstrate the impact, as presented in A.

Needs experts view here daagh AjiteshArun .
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [2]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
generis

Please accept my humble apology for not comprehending your hint.

Quote:

In this question, the modifier in the incorrect answer arguably is neither misplaced nor technically ambiguous.

Quote:
According to United States Air Force officials, a cannon shooting dead chickens at airplanes has proved helpful to demonstrate what kind of damage can result when jets fly into a flock of large birds.

Quote:

In both A and E:
Opening modifier: According to United States Air Force officials
correctly modifies the noun: a cannon

In A, a verb-ing modifier without coma i.e. shooting (note that shooting is placed next to cannon) will correctly modify only preceding noun: cannon.
There is no question of coma+verb-ing (causal/ how aspect of preceding clause here)
This is a classic case of verb-ing acting as an adjective.
What type of cannon: the one that shoots dead chickens.

This is similar to your example:
What types of planes: Flying.
Noun: planes
Verb: can be

In E, the noun modifier that correctly refers back to a cannon
Since cannon is singular and the verb for that (shoots) is correct, I see no ambiguity here too.

Let me know your two cents.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [5]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
10 seconds answer :

"helpful in " is the idiom preferred by GMAT ... this is supported by GMATNinja
as soon as i see "helpful" i look for "in" ...that's it .. if more than 1 ans choice has "helpful in" then look for other error
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [8]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AdityaHongunti wrote:
10 seconds answer :

as soon as i see "helpful" i look for "in" ...that's it .. if more than 1 ans choice has "helpful in" then look for other error
That'll get you the answer. In this case. However, it is easy to make sentences in which helpful is followed by something other than in, and the sentence is still correct. Context is important.

It'll be helpful for us to know the meaning behind her words.
That explanation was helpful to us.
You were very helpful.

Look for the in only if there is something that the helpful bit "provided".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
AjiteshArun wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:
10 seconds answer :

That'll get you the answer. In this case. However, it is easy to make sentences in which helpful is followed by something other than in, and the sentence is still correct. Context is important.

It'll be helpful for us to know the meaning behind her words.
That explanation was helpful to us.
You were very helpful.

Look for the in only if there is something that the helpful bit "provided".

Pardon me for being vague..
I should have added that "helpful in" is preferred when a purpose verb ( supposedly defining the purpose) .

Thank you for pointing this out...
Would have misguided fellow students.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Not every cannon but a particular cannon that shoots chicken so "that" is required
Narrow down to D and E

itself in D change the meaning of sentence
So E Is correct answer
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35482 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
generis

Please accept my humble apology for not comprehending your hint.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In both A and E:
Opening modifier: According to United States Air Force officials
correctly modifies the noun: a cannon

In A, a verb-ing modifier without coma i.e. shooting (note that shooting is placed next to cannon) will correctly modify only preceding noun: cannon.
There is no question of coma+verb-ing (causal/ how aspect of preceding clause here)
This is a classic case of verb-ing acting as an adjective.
What type of cannon: the one that shoots dead chickens.

This is similar to your example:
What types of planes: Flying.
Noun: planes
Verb: can be

In E, the noun modifier that correctly refers back to a cannon
Since cannon is singular and the verb for that (shoots) is correct, I see no ambiguity here too.

Let me know your two cents.

adkikani , I am about to post the official answer, and I can't quite tell whether
anyone has picked up on the full extent of the ambiguity.

I think not.

Is shooting an adjective or a gerund?
More on that in the OE.

Yes, in context,
The "cannon shooting = the cannon that shoots projectiles."
And yes, correct, in that case, "shooting" is an adjective.

Nice work.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35482 [8]
Send PM
Kudos