Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q150 V156
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Addressing low GMAT score on Application [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi@geauxSwish- this is just my opinion- so take it with a grain of salt- but when I was on the admissions side I just don't think I would have changed my mind on your quant ability from seeing a letter from a tutor. I would have looked at your score itself, your grades in quant classes and what your recommenders said about your quant ability. But perhaps someone else in admissions would see it differently so my advice is do what feels right to you- and just keep things brief as there is no need to make a bigger deal than you need to. They will look at your whole application and this score is just one part- and not the part you want to highlight so just briefly say why you think there are other metrics that show you can handle the quant part of the program. If you think the tutor letter can do that best, then go with that. But be brief and consider what is in the article I sent also. Good luck!
GeauxSwish wrote:
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
GeauxSwish wrote:
I did not score as highly on the GMAT the 2nd time around as I would have liked. I've committed to the optional essay on all of my applications, but I'm not sure how to go about addressing it. In one essay it's almost an exclusively "show don't tell" method where I dont specifically mention the low score or any details about it, I simply refer to it in passing and then proceed to define my other strengths.

I'm not sure if this is the best method and think I might to tackle it a little more head on, but many resources on the internet don't really give sound advice. In your experience, what is the best way to address the low test scores in the essay? Would you happen to have any examples that I could possibly look at?

On a related note, for my second test I hired a math tutor to help with the quantitative section. In your experience would it be wise to include a letter of recommendation from the tutor? If so, what points do they generally all include?

Thank you

So there is no need to beat around the bush here! Go ahead and mention the GMAT concern directly as they will surely notice your score and you might as well be direct about it. You should not make excuses but simply have some other metrics like strong quant performance in work or other classes. I'm not sure the tutor's words would help too much- you don't want to waste one of your rec letters on that- just have your recommenders mention examples of your quant strengths. Hope this helps and this article also helps to offer some tips on how to approach this:
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... e-profile/

If you would like to discuss how an admissions consultant could help you present your strongest story- here is a link for a free consult along with a 5% discount: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/

Thanks. To be clear, the letter from the tutor would be an additional letter of recommendation from the two I already have from my supervisors
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yep. Totally understand, just wanted to clarify that point. Thank you again
GMAT Club Bot