GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 30 Mar 2020, 12:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Admitted Goizueta ($$) one year: Consulting chances

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Admitted Goizueta ($$) one year: Consulting chances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 09:55
Hi

I've recently been admitted to Goizueta's one year MBA program with 60% scholarship.

For reference, I'm an older international candidate (age 33) with Canadian PR (which I'm hoping will make me a little more attractive to employers given the H1B gamble). I have close to 10 years' managerial experience in internal strategy and operations in energy and technology with a couple of years' tech sales experience in South East Asia managing lifesciences clients. My GMAT is 750. I'm awaiting next round results from Kellogg 1Y (had a great interview), MIT and Oxford Said (still awaiting interview decision).

Now, ideally I'd want to move into MBB, ATK, Deloitte at project leader/EM level. I'm aware they mostly hire at the associate level but my Kellogg interviewer from BCG said it was not impossible (since I had relevant experience). Otherwise I'd target med-tech/tech-product space. Anywhere in US (location agnostic) while aware that Atlanta will be my best shot.

I understand MBB is somewhat tough for Emory but I'm wondering if I'll be at any disadvantage vis a vis the 2Y program? I am hopeful that I will network well thanks to my sales experience. Also, wondering if a lack of internship may hurt me severely due to an industry (non-consulting) background? Finally, I'd very much appreciate an update on the current sponsorship scene!

Thanks!

Requesting GyanOne, bb and anyone else to contribute to the discussion.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Admitted Goizueta ($$) one year: Consulting chances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 16:28
This is a great question for abhimahna - he would have a decent idea though not sure how it really works for older candidates.

PS. You can see this post for some perspective:
   https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-after-30-in-retrospect-300397.html

B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 17:35
bb: Thank you for sharing that post. Although I can't say I was completely oblivious of the possibility of such scenarios.

This brings me to another related question from a back-up perspective. How does the cachet of a top 20 (M-7 and non-M7 let's say) compare to a Rotman, Ivey or Schulich if one has to go job-hunting in Canada? Would a Canadian school serve better than a Kellogg / Cornell / Emory?

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 18:48
I am sorry, I don’t a whole lot about recruiting In Canada. I feel MBA degree has a lesser value in places like Australia and Canada where you will be strongly judged by your work experience rather than your MBA achievements.

I would probably recommend looking for a job in the US first. I would feel that the M7 would always be a tighter knit network with fewer people but more loyalty and responsiveness. I think M7 would always win unless you had a full ride somewhere else.

B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 19:09
Thanks again bb.

abhimahna: Would love to get your insights on sponsorship scene, MBB/next tier's interest towards one year Emory grads with relevant industry experience and Emory's influence in health-tech (Medtronic, GE health, Genentech, Baxter etc.) or pure-tech (Google, Microsoft, Amazon etc.)

Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2020, 04:49
Hey RoWin ,

Thank you for the tag and congratulations for the admit. :)

I am currently a 2nd year MBA student at Emory and I can assure you that recruitment for one years or 2nd year MBA student is no different. You guys enter the same pool for the full time recruitment as we do. Having said that, I would say it all depends on how much efforts you put into the recruitment as a one year because it's tough considering academics and recruitment together within a year.

Regarding sponsorship, it is true that alot of companies have started backing out from sponsoring internationals, but that's independent of the school you get admitted to. Deloitte for example declared that they won't sponsor from this year onwards. But the other companies you mentioned do sponsor. Emory is still growing in the tech space. We, as the leaders of technology club, are putting alot of efforts to help the 1st years to ease off this recruitment. You will definitely get a few opportunities via school but I would say Alums of our schools at these firms are the best source for us to get help in our recruitment.

I hope that helps, feel free to let me know if you have any other question. Good luck :)

RoWin wrote:
Thanks again bb.

abhimahna: Would love to get your insights on sponsorship scene, MBB/next tier's interest towards one year Emory grads with relevant industry experience and Emory's influence in health-tech (Medtronic, GE health, Genentech, Baxter etc.) or pure-tech (Google, Microsoft, Amazon etc.)

Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
Have OPT questions? - Post them here.
Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2020, 05:58
Thanks abhimahna! While it's reassuring to know there isn't any difference in recruitment between one and two year programs, my question was more in the context of, do companies (consults or industry players) prefer to hire through the internship route (which one year folks obviously don't get) as that may implicitly put the shorter program at some disadvantage (regardless of school).

Secondly, is it possible to get a cut of the largest (by hire) employers on campus across industry and consulting (including MBB)? It would be useful to know the ones that were open for sponsorship. Especially outside of consulting (since I believe consults mostly are open to sponsorship)?

I'm also interested in statistics around non work authorised one year folks employed 3 months out? The website shows this for the two year program but not for the one year program.

CEO
CEO
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2020, 06:14
Let me try to add my thoughts on this (qualification: 2Y MBA from Kellogg, engineering --> amazon --> Oliver Wyman management consulting in US, Canadian citizen)

a) Canadian PR will not hold any sway for US employers as you wont be able to work on TN visa unless you are a Canadian citizen. If you were referring to leveraging your PR for Canadian offices, do note that MBB or any other consulting company's Canadian offices are going to be smaller than the ones in US and hence more competition not only from other folks in Canada but also from top Canadian MBA programs. Another requirement for Canadian offices in the knowledge of French which will come into the picture if you are pitied against another strong candidate who knows French.

b) Your age + lot of experience might actually play against you as you dont have prior 'actual consulting' experience. You should be open to getting hired as an Associate and probably look to getting promoted earlier than your peers. If you are not this flexible, you will be dinged as I have seem some folks who couldnt show that they are willing to learn at this stage. Humbleness and eagerness to learn plays a huge rule the longer you are in industry roles.

c) Coachability is particularly important for tech roles. I come from Amazon where again the issue of people with a lot of industry experience couldnt show me that they were willing to learn new things.

d) Sponsorship is bad, better chances for targeting either the Canadian offices or offices in the MEA (Doha, Dubai etc.).

Good luck and happy to discuss more.

RoWin wrote:
Hi

I've recently been admitted to Goizueta's one year MBA program with 60% scholarship.

For reference, I'm an older international candidate (age 33) with Canadian PR (which I'm hoping will make me a little more attractive to employers given the H1B gamble). I have close to 10 years' managerial experience in internal strategy and operations in energy and technology with a couple of years' tech sales experience in South East Asia managing lifesciences clients. My GMAT is 750. I'm awaiting next round results from Kellogg 1Y (had a great interview), MIT and Oxford Said (still awaiting interview decision).

Now, ideally I'd want to move into MBB, ATK, Deloitte at project leader/EM level. I'm aware they mostly hire at the associate level but my Kellogg interviewer from BCG said it was not impossible (since I had relevant experience). Otherwise I'd target med-tech/tech-product space. Anywhere in US (location agnostic) while aware that Atlanta will be my best shot.

I understand MBB is somewhat tough for Emory but I'm wondering if I'll be at any disadvantage vis a vis the 2Y program? I am hopeful that I will network well thanks to my sales experience. Also, wondering if a lack of internship may hurt me severely due to an industry (non-consulting) background? Finally, I'd very much appreciate an update on the current sponsorship scene!

Thanks!

Requesting GyanOne, bb and anyone else to contribute to the discussion.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2020, 06:37
Thanks ENGRTOMBA2018! Loved the succinctness!!

I am totally aware that my higher experience will probably work in my disfavour. Especially in consulting where keeping costs in check and maintaining hierarchy are important too. In all likelihood if they find me interesting enough, they might show me a fast track as you mentioned. But then, if not that, I'm older and my family will probably not get any time if I slog at associate level too long.. so I could have to take a call on that vs seeking industry roles.

The Canadian PR, I was hoping might interest some employers who have "joint" North American operations and could just transfer me there if the H1B doesn't work out. Or otherwise just post me there with an L1/B1 visa. But this is all very hypothetical of course. They've to like me enough to go through all these hoops!

Which brings me to a question I'm hoping you being a Canadian will be in a position to answer better :). Given the scenario that I could have to move to Canada (which may wife & I may prefer in the sense that my wife could work too there), would Emory still hold me in good stead with the employers there? Or would they prefer a Rotman / Schulich over a T20 US school? Does the situation change at all with an M7 (Kellogg) for them? Also, about French, I was hoping it wouldn't be a deal breaker outside of Quebec.

CEO
CEO
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2020, 10:30
RoWin wrote:
Thanks ENGRTOMBA2018! Loved the succinctness!!

Which brings me to a question I'm hoping you being a Canadian will be in a position to answer better :). Given the scenario that I could have to move to Canada (which may wife & I may prefer in the sense that my wife could work too there), would Emory still hold me in good stead with the employers there? Or would they prefer a Rotman / Schulich over a T20 US school? Does the situation change at all with an M7 (Kellogg) for them? Also, about French, I was hoping it wouldn't be a deal breaker outside of Quebec.

a) Emory isnt a strong enough brand in Canada, unfortunately. So youll have to do a lot more than others while networking and working on leads. Rotman/Schulich/Desautels would def be above some of these US based b-schools.
b) As for M7, a lot of Canadians go into these schools and then recruit out of Canadian offices. So these companies (MBB and the like) know the drill and have a strong OCR presence.
c) As a consultant out of Canadian offices, you will need to have a working knowledge of French as you dont want to handicap yourself on projects that need both languages.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 17:42
Hi abhimahna

Gentle reminder on this. Would be useful if you can help with this information. Thanks!

RoWin wrote:
Thanks abhimahna! While it's reassuring to know there isn't any difference in recruitment between one and two year programs, my question was more in the context of, do companies (consults or industry players) prefer to hire through the internship route (which one year folks obviously don't get) as that may implicitly put the shorter program at some disadvantage (regardless of school).

Secondly, is it possible to get a cut of the largest (by hire) employers on campus across industry and consulting (including MBB)? It would be useful to know the ones that were open for sponsorship. Especially outside of consulting (since I believe consults mostly are open to sponsorship)?

I'm also interested in statistics around non work authorised one year folks employed 3 months out? The website shows this for the two year program but not for the one year program.

Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 11:50
Hey RoWin ,

Apologies for the delay. Some firms do prefer to hire only through Internship route while others have both full time and internship process recruitment. So, yes - odds are less compared to full time students but not few. Regarding employment stats, I believe this link might help. I don't have exact information on sponsorship vs non sponsorship.

RoWin wrote:
Hi abhimahna

Gentle reminder on this. Would be useful if you can help with this information. Thanks!

Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
Have OPT questions? - Post them here.
Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Admitted Goizueta ($$) one year: Consulting chances   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2020, 11:50

Admitted Goizueta ($$) one year: Consulting chances

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: RicAssassin