Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.59
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Booth R1, Tuck, Ross
Send PM
Re: Chicago Booth Class of 2013 [#permalink]
Congrats to all the R2 admits!

For those of you looking for the google group: it's administered by Booth (the fb group was set up by an R1 admit and three of us admits admin it as best we can) and the details are available in the admitted students portal. If you haven't signed in already and generated all your Booth accounts then you should - all the info about what happens next is available there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Haas R1 (Waitlisted), Anderson R1 (Admitted), Booth R2 (Admitted), Kellogg R2
Send PM
Hello my fellow classmates!

Has anyone tried to access the "Chicago Booth Email" link? I keep on getting "HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error". I tried it on all browsers. It might have to do with my account information not synced with their email server yet (I just activated my Booth account today). However, my login info is working everywhere else.

Has anyone faced a similar issue?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Mine worked. Does this mean we now have booth email addresses? I assume if we don't end up going the account gets deleted.
Current Student
Send PM
Yep, if you choose to matriculate you will have an @chicagobooth.edu address for life!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
One more admit from Round 2.

I'm in :-D .
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Financier wrote:
One more admit from Round 2.

I'm in :-D .

Welcome aboard Financier. You've joined the fb and google groups?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
wiredo wrote:
lizzyum wrote:
I was accepted to both Ross and Booth with the same $$. I'm planning on focusing on marketing and brand management. In your opinion, which school is better for marketing? Are they equal? I'm really torn between the two, so I'd love to hear your opinions.

First off, congrats on the two offers!! This is a great situation to be in.

As the playing field has been leveled with equal scholarship $$, I personally would go with Booth to cater the curriculum to my needs and to matriculate at a more highly regarded program. Now, if Ross had offered $$ and Booth hadn't, that might've been a harder decision - if I were in your shoes, that is. That said, I recognize that Ross probably offers more marketing courses than does Booth. If you already know what courses you need in Marketing, and find that Booth doesn't offer them while Ross does, your decision just got easier.

Good luck!

I would like to continue this conversation if any current students, or others have some insight. I am also going for marketing/brand management and have been accepted to Ross and Booth, although Booth offered me $$ and Ross did not.

The more I've been researching Booth's curriculum, the more I believe I can just as easily get a marketing position going there as Ross (possibly even Kellogg, although I'm still waiting to find out if I will have that decision to make or not) I tend to think each schools supposed "strengths" are a bit exaggerated. The employment reports show about 6% from Booth going into CPG, I think Ross was around 20%. However, since Ross isn't known for one definitive strength, it makes sense they will have a more equal distribution among industries/functions. Booth is known for finance/econ so they attract more of these students, but the fact that 6% still go into marketing shows me the opportunities are there, they are probably just less pursued by Booth students. They all seem to have similar courses, the only downside I see is fewer alumni in those companies. I guess depending on the industry that might be a bigger disadvantage for some, but I don't think anyone will deny you an interview having come from Booth vs Ross.

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this? For me, I personally think it is actually beneficial to take more of the econ and stats classes, although I already have 6 yrs marketing/branding experience, so feel I already have a good knowledge base in this area. Would appreciate the thoughts of others on this forum...

And looking forward to meeting you all at admit weekend!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Michmax3 wrote:
wiredo wrote:
lizzyum wrote:
I was accepted to both Ross and Booth with the same $$. I'm planning on focusing on marketing and brand management. In your opinion, which school is better for marketing? Are they equal? I'm really torn between the two, so I'd love to hear your opinions.

First off, congrats on the two offers!! This is a great situation to be in.

As the playing field has been leveled with equal scholarship $$, I personally would go with Booth to cater the curriculum to my needs and to matriculate at a more highly regarded program. Now, if Ross had offered $$ and Booth hadn't, that might've been a harder decision - if I were in your shoes, that is. That said, I recognize that Ross probably offers more marketing courses than does Booth. If you already know what courses you need in Marketing, and find that Booth doesn't offer them while Ross does, your decision just got easier.

Good luck!

I would like to continue this conversation if any current students, or others have some insight. I am also going for marketing/brand management and have been accepted to Ross and Booth, although Booth offered me $$ and Ross did not.

The more I've been researching Booth's curriculum, the more I believe I can just as easily get a marketing position going there as Ross (possibly even Kellogg, although I'm still waiting to find out if I will have that decision to make or not) I tend to think each schools supposed "strengths" are a bit exaggerated. The employment reports show about 6% from Booth going into CPG, I think Ross was around 20%. However, since Ross isn't known for one definitive strength, it makes sense they will have a more equal distribution among industries/functions. Booth is known for finance/econ so they attract more of these students, but the fact that 6% still go into marketing shows me the opportunities are there, they are probably just less pursued by Booth students. They all seem to have similar courses, the only downside I see is fewer alumni in those companies. I guess depending on the industry that might be a bigger disadvantage for some, but I don't think anyone will deny you an interview having come from Booth vs Ross.

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this? For me, I personally think it is actually beneficial to take more of the econ and stats classes, although I already have 6 yrs marketing/branding experience, so feel I already have a good knowledge base in this area. Would appreciate the thoughts of others on this forum...

And looking forward to meeting you all at admit weekend!

Mich, I think you're probably spot on with your analysis on why you see just '6%' of students from Booth going into CPG. As far as alumni support is concerned, I am sure that the Booth name alone will open any door that Ross can or does in the CPG space. After that you are pretty much on your own anyways, and what matters most at that point is how you perform during the interviews etc. If you are talking about finding alumni to talk with, while you try and develop a better sense of the industry, I am pretty sure that even with the relatively smaller alumni base in marketing, you should be able to find 'enough' people who can help you out.

Originally posted by Cookiesn on 27 Mar 2011, 01:15.
Last edited by Cookiesn on 27 Mar 2011, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Congrats to everyone who got in!! I think the amazing yield rate in R1 is one of the many indicators of Booth being one of the most prestigious schools out there.

I have a dilemma: I got into Booth with a sizeable scholarship, and have been waitlisted at Wharton. If I happen to get in, it would probably be with no scholarship. However, I'm in the healthcare field (not biotech/pharma/medical devices, more like research/developing programs, and want to possibly go into healthcare consulting), and the Wharton healthcare management program (HCM) is the best program of its kind. HCM focuses a lot on biotech/pharma/med devices, but it's still highly regarded in any healthcare industry/function.

Although I'll be submitting the first deposit to Booth regardless, I'm waiting to hear from Wharton by May 12. I'd love any insight you might have given that I want to go into healthcare consulting (maybe nonprofit program development IF it helps me pay off loans well enough). I'd love to just mentally accept Booth (I love the people and the city!) and start celebrating and planning for Chicago rather than wait around until May for a possible ding from Wharton. Thoughts? Would really love some help on how to approach the next several weeks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi there - I'm a round 2 admit, planning to attend Admit weekend on April 8/9 with my family. It'd be my first time in Chicago - any recommendations of where to stay? Very excited, looking forward to meeting any of you that are attending.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Cookiesn wrote:
MPP

I don't know much about Columbus Plaza, but I'm on the waitlist here. It seems priced very well for Booth students with lots of amenities. They do take a waitlist deposit ca. $250-300 for a 1BR, but you get that back if you don't get a place. Person I spoke with seemed optimistic though. They do have 5 or so page application, so :shock: . Thankfully I didn't find any essay questions.

"How does living at MPP fit into your plans to study at Chicago Booth? How will your unique background enhance the highly collaborative MPP community?"

"Why now?"
Current Student
Send PM
They could have given you some 'blank pages'...
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V50
Send PM
mjb wrote:
They could have given you some 'blank pages'...

They did send me some depressingly small floor-plans in which to navigate ambiguity and decide how to place more stuff than could possibly fit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
BabyBeagle wrote:
Cookiesn wrote:
MPP

I don't know much about Columbus Plaza, but I'm on the waitlist here. It seems priced very well for Booth students with lots of amenities. They do take a waitlist deposit ca. $250-300 for a 1BR, but you get that back if you don't get a place. Person I spoke with seemed optimistic though. They do have 5 or so page application, so :shock: . Thankfully I didn't find any essay questions.

"How does living at MPP fit into your plans to study at Chicago Booth? How will your unique background enhance the highly collaborative MPP community?"

"Why now?"

Do most of the buildings have waitlists going already? Would it be too late to start scouting out options at admit weekend? This seems early still, is it really hard to get apartments in these buildings?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Michmax3 wrote:
BabyBeagle wrote:
Cookiesn wrote:
MPP

"Why now?"

Do most of the buildings have waitlists going already? Would it be too late to start scouting out options at admit weekend? This seems early still, is it really hard to get apartments in these buildings?

I'm sure their waitlist management process is quite similar to that of Booth's :).

After all there would be a bunch of people who would be graduating in the summer and moving out of Chicago/the building. It serves them well to guarantee occupancy if they make you put down a healthy deposit.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Michmax3 wrote:

Dunno. MPP is the only one I've spent any time with.

Columbus seems to have lots of openings mid-summer, so I wouldn't worry. Their prices seem generally higher than what I've been quoted at MPP, but they might have specials; I don't know.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I remember reading on the admitted students website that Booth negotiates special deals with Columbus and MPP. So it might be worth finding out more about this during admit weekend.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts