Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Cornell '11
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Cornell (Johnson) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink]
I got a place at Gun Hill with 2 other roommates, fully furnished, for only $1278/month total (cable and internet included as well). 3 BR/1 Bath, about half a mile from campus, free shuttle.
Current Student
Send PM
As a reference point too in 2003 I paid about $860 for a studio in a mid-tier Collegetown studio. I think the same apartment now rents for around $950.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
what immersions are you guys pursuing...and what did you think of the overview during DJ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Probably SSO....and maybe Consulting focus. I sat in the on the Sustainable Global Enterprise and Consulting sessions and, to be honest, I almost fell asleep. A little enthusiasm would have been nice. Arent I supposed to wait for classes to start to doze off???

young_gun wrote:
what immersions are you guys pursuing...and what did you think of the overview during DJ?
Current Student
Send PM
formerlehmanite1 wrote:
As a reference point too in 2003 I paid about $860 for a studio in a mid-tier Collegetown studio. I think the same apartment now rents for around $950.

Man, I thought Ithaca was supposed to be cheap!
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Common misconception!

flood wrote:
Current Student
Send PM
Raabend wrote:
Probably SSO....and maybe Consulting focus. I sat in the on the Sustainable Global Enterprise and Consulting sessions and, to be honest, I almost fell asleep. A little enthusiasm would have been nice. Arent I supposed to wait for classes to start to doze off???

young_gun wrote:

Did Mark Milstein do the SGE session? I've heard he tries to liven things up.
Current Student
Send PM
Raabend wrote:
Common misconception!

flood wrote:

It's cold and it's not cheap... are there at least some hot women running around Ithaca?
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
He sure did.....still pretty bland.

flood wrote:
Did Mark Milstein do the SGE session? I've heard he tries to liven things up.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing Management
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
young_gun wrote:

I attended the Strategic Marketing and SSO immerision sessions. The marketing immersion program is amazing. The SSO immersion is definitely for people that love operations and strategy. It felt a bit too technical for my tastes. The site visits with top companies almost sold me on it.
Current Student
Send PM
hmm i'm still shopping around. i only made it to the capital markets and asset management overview. but as far as career prospects, seems to me like investment banking places people pretty well (and not necessarily in investment banking).

i'm kind of wondering how much immersions actually matter as far as targeting employers...i think the reality is that there are plenty of people who go on to companies/careers that seem illogical given their specific immersion. assuming that's true, i wonder if the school places an undue/excessive amount of focus on "choosing the right immersion asap".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
young_gun wrote:
hmm i'm still shopping around. i only made it to the capital markets and asset management overview. but as far as career prospects, seems to me like investment banking places people pretty well (and not necessarily in investment banking).

i'm kind of wondering how much immersions actually matter as far as targeting employers...i think the reality is that there are plenty of people who go on to companies/careers that seem illogical given their specific immersion. assuming that's true, i wonder if the school places an undue/excessive amount of focus on "choosing the right immersion asap".

young_gun can you elaborate on the placement of those in the IB immersion and what other career paths it opens doors to if not IB?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell Johnson School
 Q51  V44
Send PM
I had a great time this past weekend. The weekend just got better as time went by - on Sunday afternoon I didn't want to leave.
DJ was well-planned and not at all showy ie ...there wasn't any artificialty to it.

The highlights for me were Saturday night at the museum (never danced under a dinosaur before!), the student hosted dinner, Saturdays lunch with a faculty of your choice, the housing tour which I felt was very useful, and staying with a student host - you really got to see what the Johnson School was all about.

I found the "team dynamics" exercise pretty lame - was astounded that people could come up with so many lessons from being blindfolded and trying to pitch a tent!

Out of the core faculty, I found Vrinda Kadiyali's enthusiasm outstanding - definitely would enjoy taking a class with her.

I attended the Consulting focus and Customized option immersion sessions - and didn't learn anything other than I won't be doing the customized immersion.

Overall I made friends with many people who I found interesting and humble (very important for me) and I'm very happy I'm going to Cornell.

Go BIG RED!

Originally posted by wonderhaven on 07 Apr 2009, 10:04.
Last edited by wonderhaven on 07 Apr 2009, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell Johnson School
 Q51  V44
Send PM
young_gun wrote:

The feeling I got from speaking with students was that employers don't care what immersion you did. It's an ice-breaker kind of question at most. If you're 100% sure about what career you want to pursue - you obviously want to take that specific immersion, but if you're unsure just take the immersion that's most interesting to you - recruiters don't care.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
glettian wrote:
young_gun can you elaborate on the placement of those in the IB immersion and what other career paths it opens doors to if not IB?

I'm not sure how many people are in the IB immersion this year (I went to Asset Management immersion session), but if I added up the stats correctly, it looks like there were 13 internship offers (11 US, 2 int'l) for the Class of 2010.
Current Student
Send PM
is that information available online?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
young_gun wrote:
is that information available online?

It was in the red Cornell binder that they gave us. There is seperate info for the FT and internship offers (it's on the light blue-green papers).
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8