Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink]
LSEguy wrote:
How good is career services at McCombs? Is there sufficient 'case-study interview' preparation given to students? I read in the placement statistics that M/B/B recruit on-campus at Texas. But I guess they pick 2-3 students each from a batch of 260 odd students.

As far as IBs are concerned, do McCombs students need to travel to NYC/Chicago for interviews? Do banks make an effort to fly down to Austin?

Thanks!

ps: I am also open to a PhD in management. Does McCombs provide sufficient preparation to students in mathematics, OR, statistics? Are there any 'advanced classes' for students interested in a PhD?

I replied to your PM with respect to NY/Chicago. The short answer is that every bank and consulting firm interviews on-campus.

I think career services is very good, particularly the head of CS (Stacy). There a variety of resources to prepare for interviews and recruiting, especially for consulting and banking prep. While it is true that each firm might only hire 1-3 students (per firm), not all 260 are interested in consulting, probably more like 10-15%. McCombs is quite diverse in terms of the desired career paths of the student body so while recruiting is competitive, there are not a huge number of people gunning for each and every spot.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
merkin wrote:
LSEguy wrote:
How good is career services at McCombs? Is there sufficient 'case-study interview' preparation given to students? I read in the placement statistics that M/B/B recruit on-campus at Texas. But I guess they pick 2-3 students each from a batch of 260 odd students.

As far as IBs are concerned, do McCombs students need to travel to NYC/Chicago for interviews? Do banks make an effort to fly down to Austin?

Thanks!

ps: I am also open to a PhD in management. Does McCombs provide sufficient preparation to students in mathematics, OR, statistics? Are there any 'advanced classes' for students interested in a PhD?

I replied to your PM with respect to NY/Chicago. The short answer is that every bank and consulting firm interviews on-campus.

I think career services is very good, particularly the head of CS (Stacy). There a variety of resources to prepare for interviews and recruiting, especially for consulting and banking prep. While it is true that each firm might only hire 1-3 students (per firm), not all 260 are interested in consulting, probably more like 10-15%. McCombs is quite diverse in terms of the desired career paths of the student body so while recruiting is competitive, there are not a huge number of people gunning for each and every spot.

Thanks merkin!! 8-)
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Citi Foundation
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Social entrepreneurship
Schools:Mccombs, USC, NYU
WE 1: Citigroup-Citi Investment Research
WE 2: Citigroup-Global Corporate Bank
Send PM
Hi all! Is it true I need to wait for the scholarship decision before filling out the CFR form required for I-20? I am guessing thats a month's wait till i apply for an I-20 and another till it reaches me :!:

Any body in the same boat?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any scholarship news yet guys? Getting some $$$ from Texas will make my life a lot easier. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi I am a recent admit to McCombs and I was wondering how collaborative the McCombs community is? I know most schools say they are but clearly some are more cut throat than others and I wanted to know if anyone knew about what the culture is like at McCombs?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AJ1 wrote:
Hi I am a recent admit to McCombs and I was wondering how collaborative the McCombs community is? I know most schools say they are but clearly some are more cut throat than others and I wanted to know if anyone knew about what the culture is like at McCombs?

Thanks!

It scores a 9.4 in the Collaborative category of PK Quarterly, for what that's worth.

More seriously, I don't think Texas has a reputation of being cutthroat at all but rather pretty relaxed. I'm sure there will be jerks there as anywhere, but I don't think the system is designed to reward that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
How good is the placement scenario at Texas as compared to other top schools? I believe McCombs is the only top ranked school in the state of Texas.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Harvard R2 - Ding, Stanford R2 - Ding, McCombs R2 - Admit, UNC R3 - Admit
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Communications
WE 2: Not-for-Profit Management
Send PM
Good Morning everyone. I was accepted yesterday. I'm going to register for admit weekend once my access to the 2013 site is working (status changed and still nothing). I hope to see you all there!
Current Student
Schools:Texas '12
Send PM
AJ1 wrote:

Thanks!

McCombs is a very collaborative culture. People are always willing to help. Academically; I’ve both received help from classmates and have helped classmates. I’ve been able to get contact information for employers from students who are competing for the same positions. I’ve also had students who’ve interviewed for positions a few hours before me fill me in on what to expect. The 2nd years have been a great resource as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any scholarship news from McCombs people?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any scholarship news from McCombs people?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Harvard R2 - Ding, Stanford R2 - Ding, McCombs R2 - Admit, UNC R3 - Admit
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Communications
WE 2: Not-for-Profit Management
Send PM
Just an FYI for my soon to be classmates. AT&T Executive Conference center is out of rooms for March 31st, but does have some left in the block for April 1st. Looks like I'll be at the DoubleTree. Anyone know if it is feasible to walk to McCombs from the DoubleTree? Thanks.

Scott

Originally posted by Impalpable on 28 Feb 2011, 07:22.
Last edited by Impalpable on 28 Feb 2011, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Impalpable wrote:
Just an FYI for my soon to be classmates. AT&T Executive Conference center is out of room for March 31st, but does have some left in the block for April 1st. Looks like I'll be at the DoubleTree. Anyone know if it is feasible to walk to McCombs from the DoubleTree? Thanks.

Scott

Google maps has the walk at about 12 minutes. Should be fine.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Austin is a super walkable city, pretty flat and the weather is great (until summer when its hotter than hell). There are a lot of hotel options downtown, if you are planning on enjoying what Austin has to offer though, I recommend staying near 6th. I recommend making time during your visits to enjoy the live music scene, if you spend two years here then you will definitely get to enjoy it.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:McCombs R1 ($$), HBS R1, Stanford R1, Anderson R2, Haas R2
 Q49  V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
I'm going to 2nd LSEguy's question... has anyone heard about scholarships?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Indiana, Texas, Emory
Send PM
Hey guys, I got the call about a week ago so my info hasn't come yet. Can anyone tell me the dates of admitted students weekend?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5