GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 12:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Adolphe Menjou, known for being the “most well-dressed man in America”

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User
Adolphe Menjou, known for being the “most well-dressed man in America”  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 08:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (00:53) correct 31% (01:05) wrong based on 74 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Adolphe Menjou, known for being the “most well-dressed man in America” for many years, starring in many movies as an impeccably dressed profession, and, accordingly, he entitled his autobiography “It Took Nine Tailors.”

(A) known for being the “most well-dressed man in America” for many years, starring
(B) known to be the “most well-dressed man in America” for many years, starred
(C) known to be the “most well-dressed man in America” in many years, starred
(D) known as the “most well-dressed man in America” for many years, starred
(E) known as the “most well-dressed man in America” in many years, starring

B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Re: Adolphe Menjou, known for being the “most well-dressed man in America”  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 08:56
Saw the OA to be D . Can any expert please help me differentiate between KNOWN AS and KNOWN TO BE.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Adolphe Menjou, known for being the “most well-dressed man in America”  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 08:57
Mahmud6 wrote:
Adolphe Menjou, known for being the “most well-dressed man in America” for many years, starring in many movies as an impeccably dressed profession, and, accordingly, he entitled his autobiography “It Took Nine Tailors.”

(A) known for being the “most well-dressed man in America” for many years, starring
(B) known to be the “most well-dressed man in America” for many years, starred
(C) known to be the “most well-dressed man in America” in many years, starred
(E) known as the “most well-dressed man in America” in many years, starring

"known for being" and "known to be" are awkward. Eliminate A, B and C.

In E, "starring" is wrong since this choice makes the sentence lack of main verb. D is the correct answer.
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 10:01
This questions is testing the difference between 'known as' and 'known to be'.

"known as" indicates an alias or nickname, whereas "known to be" indicates a characteristic.

For example : The artist formerly known AS Prince was known TO BE provocative.

As per the meaning, this person is known as most well dressed man in America. Hence, known as is the correct form.

(A) known for being the “most well-dressed man in America” for many years, starring --> Missing verb mistake + wrong Idiom.

(B) known to be the “most well-dressed man in America” for many years, starred --> Already explained.

(C) known to be the “most well-dressed man in America” in many years, starred --> Same as B.

(E) known as the “most well-dressed man in America” in many years, starring --> Missing Verb Mistake
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 22:04
OE

Split #1: idiom with “known“. Here, we are talking about a title, a role, so the most appropriate idiom is “known as“. The idioms “known for” and “known to” produce unnecessarily awkward constructions. Only choices (D) & (E) have this correct.

Split #2: the idiom with time. The prompt make it clear — Menjou held this distinction for a long duration of time. Many years refers to when he was holding the distinction: this is what “for many years” implies. It does not refer to an absence of sartorial splendor before him: that is what “in many years” would imply. Choices (C) & (E) use the incorrect idiom, and cannot be correct.

Split #3: missing verb mistake. After the word “and” is a complete independent clause, so we need a full independent clause before it. We have a subject, Adolphe Menjou, but the prompt has no verb for this subject. We need the verb “starred“, not the participle “starring“, to give this a full verb. Choices (A) & (E) make the “missing verb mistake,” and cannot be correct.

The only possible answer is (D).
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 06:28
Imo D
Correct idiom is Known as and we have use completed verb not a gerund
Re: Adolphe Menjou, known for being the “most well-dressed man in America”   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2017, 06:28

Adolphe Menjou, known for being the “most well-dressed man in America”

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap