Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1400 [24]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [8]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are peo [#permalink]
Yep, I agree with jeeteshsingh. C unambiguously strengthens the argument by pegging the number of children available for adoption to a concrete number, which is far less than the concrete number of parents looking to adopt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are peo [#permalink]
yep C.

The argument --far fewer children for adpation--is based on the fact that there are millions waiting to adapt but only 50,000 adpated in a year. The assumption must be that 50000 children were the only the available ones for adpation.
C confirms that assumption.
D and E are out of scope.
A does not generate any discussion.
B is tricky. It could be the answer if we knew how many people were waiting to adopt in the previous years.
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Bookmarks
shalva wrote:
This argument is yet another example of "shift of the scope" trick that GMAC so loves to pull out.

Premise
Quote:
Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.

That's simply a statement of fact. The number of people who want to adopt is compared with the number of adoptions

Conclusion
Quote:
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt.

In this conclusion number of people who want to adopt is compared with children available for adoption. This comparison is quite different from that in the premise. If we want to show validity of the conclusion - we somehow should establish following connection:

Number of adoptions == Number of children available for adoption

Answ (C) does exactly the same

Good explanation. No wonder you got a 47 on verbal. kudos to you.

Premise is just a fact here. I see the trick. Premise is trying to distract you. If C is not true then the conclusion falls apart.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
shalva wrote:
Number of adoptions == Number of children available for adoption

Almost missed that when reading the answers. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Conclusion: less children available but many people are ready to adopt.
Premise: 2 million people are looking out for children and there were only 50,000 adoptions - This could be due there is a lack of children left to be adopted as the author says or there could be some other reasons. We are required to prove that there are no other options but fewer children available.

mundasingh123 wrote:
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt. Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.
Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim that there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt?
(A) The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly in the last decade. Doesn't matter - Out of scope
(B) The number of adoptions in the current year is greater than the number of adoptions in any preceding year.Doesn't matter - Out of scope
(C) The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period. This says no children are left to be adopted, which means there are fewer children . Demand exceeds Supply :lol:
(D) People who seek to adopt children often go through a long process of interviews and investigation by adoption agencies. - This says that there is another reason for less adoption, which means there are children but the policies makes it difficult - hence weakens
(E) People who seek to adopt children generally make very good parents. - I dont care
This posts invites Discussions not answers - ROGER THAT :-D
Sorce:Mister Eko
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
mailnavin1 wrote:
Conclusion: less children available but many people are ready to adopt.
Premise: 2 million people are looking out for children and there were only 50,000 adoptions - This could be due there is a lack of children left to be adopted as the author says or there could be some other reasons. We are required to prove that there are no other options but fewer children available.

mundasingh123 wrote:
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt. Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.
Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim that there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt?
(A) The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly in the last decade. Doesn't matter - Out of scope
(B) The number of adoptions in the current year is greater than the number of adoptions in any preceding year.Doesn't matter - Out of scope
(C) The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period. This says no children are left to be adopted, which means there are fewer children . Demand exceeds Supply :lol:
(D) People who seek to adopt children often go through a long process of interviews and investigation by adoption agencies. - This says that there is another reason for less adoption, which means there are children but the policies makes it difficult - hence weakens
(E) People who seek to adopt children generally make very good parents. - I dont care
This posts invites Discussions not answers - ROGER THAT :-D
Sorce:Mister Eko

i tnink u have misread the stimulus . Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I still think C would be vaild even though the figure of 50K is from 1982. The fact is this proves that the suuply is short just because there is less children up for adoption rather than some other reason -strengthens argument by alleviating assunption.

Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Its between A & C
but A doesnot tell anything about increase of decrease of the children.

Not fully convience with C , but in between A nd C , C is better..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 787 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
I am finding some problems to buy the explanations given earlier. As the question states, we need to find the statement to strengthen the claim "far fewer children available".

Where option C can support the claim as "fewer children available", it does not support the claim "far fewer" from any angle. I can easily interpret that demand is equal or marginally more than the supply.

Option A states "The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly". In case the statement used the word "wishing" or "wanting" or something similar instead of "waiting", this option could have been ignored. But, when the number of couples, who are waiting, is increasing significantly, definitely demand is equal or more than supply. I don't believe couples would wait should there be necessary supply.

I do not see any reason which can clearly make option C standout over option A. I will appreciate any proper explanation to support C over A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
doe007 wrote:
I am finding some problems to buy the explanations given earlier. As the question states, we need to find the statement to strengthen the claim "far fewer children available".

Where option C can support the claim as "fewer children available", it does not support the claim "far fewer" from any angle. I can easily interpret that demand is equal or marginally more than the supply.

Option A states "The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly". In case the statement used the word "wishing" or "wanting" or something similar instead of "waiting", this option could have been ignored. But, when the number of couples, who are waiting, is increasing significantly, definitely demand is equal or more than supply. I don't believe couples would wait should there be necessary supply.

I do not see any reason which can clearly make option C standout over option A. I will appreciate any proper explanation to support C over A.

A speaks about last decade, i think here we are talking about present decade and that's why i chose C, but A is a good contender, please correct me if i am wrong
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1546 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
2 million couple waiting for adoption, but in 1982 only some 50,000 adoptions. The preceding premise stated that the children need adopting are fewer than the people want to adopt. So, this is clear that the 50.000 adoption is inferred that The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period.

Choice C is correct one.
Manager
Manager
kotela wrote:
doe007 wrote:

A speaks about last decade, i think here we are talking about present decade and that's why i chose C, but A is a good contender, please correct me if i am wrong

"Last decade" might be reason for discarding option A.
Manager
Manager
tuanquang269 wrote:
2 million couple waiting for adoption, but in 1982 only some 50,000 adoptions. The preceding premise stated that the children need adopting are fewer than the people want to adopt. So, this is clear that the 50.000 adoption is inferred that The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period.

Choice C is correct one.

Here the reasoning has no connection with the given options. Rather this a paraphrase of the original statement. I believe we need to answer based on the given choices. Does really option C imply demand to be scanty?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
Argument is that number of children available for adoption is less then number of parent trying to adopt
E is irrelevant and so is D
A state’s growth in parent
B is irrelevant to argument
SO C is remaining and it states that children ready for adoption and adopted cild rate is more or less same, which mean only few children were deemed as not fit for adoption, thus proving the argument
Manager
Manager
neha2785 wrote:
Argument is that number of children available for adoption is less then number of parent trying to adopt
E is irrelevant and so is D
A state’s growth in parent
B is irrelevant to argument
SO C is remaining and it states that children ready for adoption and adopted cild rate is more or less same, which mean only few children were deemed as not fit for adoption, thus proving the argument

Option A does not state growth in parents but the "growth in waiting parents". Waiting increases only when demand is more than supply.
Option C can be inferred as demand is nearly equal to supply.

To me, option C is not stronger than option A. I believe wordings in the choices need to be modified to eradicate ambiguity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
The below is the conclusion"

"There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt.

Answer C is saying

" The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period"

Isnt this restating the conclusion in another way

Is that fine for strengthen questions? I thought we have to look for a new information always.

please let me know

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
raviram80 wrote:
The below is the conclusion"

"There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt.

Answer C is saying

" The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period"

Isnt this restating the conclusion in another way

Is that fine for strengthen questions? I thought we have to look for a new information always.

please let me know

Thanks

Its not restating the conclusion.

"The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period"
This doesn't mean that there are fewer children for adoption. Say there are 1 lac adoption previous year therefore there will be 1 lac adoption this year also. So we can't really say there are fewer children for adoption.

Correct me if i am wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts