Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618973 [12]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 879 [3]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: Adults have the right to vote; so should adolescents. Admittedly, adol [#permalink]
hey i am confused between c and e . please provide an explaination for the same
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: Adults have the right to vote; so should adolescents. Admittedly, adol [#permalink]
I m confused between c and e . can some one explain what justified e over c

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
confused how the statement qualifies as conceding a point.
concede:
(1) admit that something is true or valid after first denying or resisting it:
(2) surrender or yield (something that one possesses):

The argument is predicated on the fact that adults and adolescents are different - so how does the statement in question qualify as a concession?
Unless they are using the word concede as a synonym for "acknowledge".
IMO poor word choice.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [2]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Adults have the right to vote; so should adolescents. Admittedly, adol [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Adults have the right to vote; so should adolescents. Admittedly, adolescents and adults are not the same. But to the extent that adolescents and adults are different, adults cannot be expected to represent the interests of adolescents. If adults cannot represent the interests of adolescents, then only by giving adolescents the vote will these interests represented.

The statement that adolescents and adults are not the same plays which one of the following roles in the argument?

(A) It presents the conclusion of the argument.

(B) It makes a key word in the argument more precise.

(C) It illustrates a consequence of one of the claims that are used to support the conclusion.

(D) It distracts attention from the point at issue.

(E) It concedes a point that is then used to support the conclusion.

Premise: Admittedly, adolescents and adults are not the same. But to the extent that adolescents and adults are different, adults cannot be expected to represent the interests of adolescents. If adults cannot represent the interests of adolescents, then only by giving adolescents the vote will these interests represented. - The author agrees that adults and adolescents are different, however, argues that this difference should not be the basis of adults representing the interests of adolescents. Further, he/she cements his/her argument by saying that because adults can't represent the interests of adolescents and to represent adolescents, adolescents must be given voting rights.

Conclusion: Adults have the right to vote; so should adolescents. - Just like the adults, adolescents must give vote. Only then adolescents interests are represented.

Only C and E make up to the point of being the contenders. Others are rejected for the highlighted text.
'Consequence' and conclusion both come after something has happened, only that consequence happens naturally - if i say. In C, 'a consequence' seems to suggest that because of adolescents' interests, adults and adolescents are different. And that's too vague of an answer to choose.
The statement is ultimately supporting the conclusion of the argument, it's just that it is laying foundation of that support.

BTW did i use the idiom 'because of' correctly. Let me know.

Answer E.­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
nightblade354
Although i get the point that Option E captures the essence of what the Phrase is, I was unable to Eliminate option C on solid grounds. Please help me understand this better.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts