It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 23:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a c

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18148 [1], given: 1992

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a c [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 03:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:15) correct 47% (01:33) wrong based on 637 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18148 [1], given: 1992

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 143 [1], given: 216

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a c [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 23:34
This post received
KUDOS
Can we have an expert opinion here ?
If I have a parallel construction :
Ramesh is not clear with his goals; he rejected ISB, saying he doesn't want to live in India, while at the same time accepting admission in IIM-A.
Is the construction correct ? or it should be :
Ramesh is not clear with his goals; he rejected ISB, saying he doesn't want to live in India, while at the same time accepted admission in IIM-A.

Kudos [?]: 143 [1], given: 216

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a c [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2015, 00:43
I found it to be very easy A.
B C D are wrong right at the beginning
E is wrong at the end

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2015, 02:29
Yes, Good question.

the one question I have is, can one subject refers to two verbs". I am not sure who is 'saying....'

souvik101990 wrote:
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 113

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2015, 02:34
they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting.
Yes, its "they" and they both say and support

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 05:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A recent poll indicates that
many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e.,
they denounce big government,
---saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful,
while at the same time supporting
many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

>>"But" is a conjunction, used to connect two independent clauses.
>> Missing proper conjunction to connect 2 clauses or verb.
>>Missing independent clause by starting the sentence with subordinate cluase "while".
>>Same as D.

Selected A by POE but sentence structure in A is still weird. Request others to share their view.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18148 [0], given: 1992

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 21:42

Kudos [?]: 18148 [0], given: 1992

Verbal Forum Moderator

Concentration: Technology, Other

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 21:48
many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e.,
they denounce big government,
while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

Nothing to backup my reasoning. just that, I was expecting verb denounce and support || to each other.
Something in line with below example.
Because he wanted to talk to me, he called me on cell.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 176

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 05:53
Met this question at least 3 times, did all wrong, review, and wrong again....
:(

---------------------------------------------------------
Please kudos me if this helps. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 176

5 KUDOS received
Rice (Jones) Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 94 [5], given: 147

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 06:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think most people get confused in this question because they expect verb support rather than supporting after while.

they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

while is a dependent clause/adverbial clause marker so people expect that they should see a subject and a verb after while. "while at that same time supporting..." is indeed an adverbial clause but it's a reduced adverb clause. Here is the expanded form of this sentence:

they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time they support many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

Adverbial clauses can be reduced when subjects of the adverb clause and the main clause are same. Here they is the subject of both the adverb clause and main clause. I have observed this concept on a lot of official questions. When I learned about this concept, I wrote an article on GC. Interested people can read the following article:

although-is-a-dependent-clause-dc-marker-so-it-has-to-start-a-dc-200260.html#p1540391

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Kudos [?]: 94 [5], given: 147

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 08:27
BUT is a conjuction which connect two clause, two noun, or two adverb...

while is used to connect dependent clause to independent clause.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 916

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 546

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 15:15
Hi!
Can we call our verbal experts for some more analysis and sloving this question..
i am struck between A & C.
thoughts for C... they denounce... while they support...
daagh
chetan4u
magoosh ...mike plz
veritas karishma
egamt..
anyone please?
thanks

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 546

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 127

Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 18:17
souvik101990 wrote:

I am no expert but here are my views--

The sentence should start with the subject i.e 'they'.Eliminate 'D' & 'E'.

Not in 'B' ,use of but is not apt we need while as both the things are happening simultaneously.Thus Eliminate 'B'.

Now the hard part--Between 'A' & 'C' I choose 'A' because in last part of 'C', 'they' is not fitting in. Its not parallel with the previous statement and is redundant.

IMO 'A' is the correct choice.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 127

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3653 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 11:25
The structure of the sentence in option A (OA) is as follows:

Main clause: they denounce.....
2 present participle modifiers in parallel: 1. saying.... , 2. supporting....
The 2 modifiers are joined by conjunction "while"

Kudos [?]: 3653 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 02:46

--> Correct.

(B) they denounce big government - they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful - but supporting at the same time

--> conjuntion but in this case requires a bare infinity verb, not a present participle phrase.

(C) they denounce big government , say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

--> , say is wrong. it is redundant.

--> Fragment.

(E) while they are denouncing big government - they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful - supporting at the same time

--> it is redundant. Fragment.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 10:17
Can someone please explain what is the issue with option 'C'?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2059 [1], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
The biggest issue with (C) is that it seems to be making a botched attempt at parallelism:

Quote:

The subject "they" performs two parallel actions in (C): "denounce" and "say", but there's no conjunction ("and") between the two verbs. The only other way this could be acceptable is if there's a conjunction ("and") followed by third parallel verb -- something like "they denounce big government, say X, and support Y..." -- but that's not the case here.

(A) correctly turns the verb "say" into a modifier: "saying...". And that makes tons of sense: "saying government is doing too much" is giving us extra information about the previous clause ("they denounce big government"). In (C), the parallelism isn't structured correctly because there's no conjunction between the two verbs "denounce" and "say" -- but you could also argue that those two actions shouldn't be parallel, anyway. "Saying government is doing too much" just modifies the phrase "they denounce big government."

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2059 [1], given: 465

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 146

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 03:00
GMATNinja wrote:
The biggest issue with (C) is that it seems to be making a botched attempt at parallelism:

Quote:

The subject "they" performs two parallel actions in (C): "denounce" and "say", but there's no conjunction ("and") between the two verbs. The only other way this could be acceptable is if there's a conjunction ("and") followed by third parallel verb -- something like "they denounce big government, say X, and support Y..." -- but that's not the case here.

(A) correctly turns the verb "say" into a modifier: "saying...". And that makes tons of sense: "saying government is doing too much" is giving us extra information about the previous clause ("they denounce big government"). In (C), the parallelism isn't structured correctly because there's no conjunction between the two verbs "denounce" and "say" -- but you could also argue that those two actions shouldn't be parallel, anyway. "Saying government is doing too much" just modifies the phrase "they denounce big government."

I hope this helps!

Hey GMATNinja,
All the options look wrong to me.
I feel in A, there is a lack of proper parallelism. they denounce big governments, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while supporting at the same time..........here denounce is not in parallel to supporting. I dont think supporting can be parallel to saying (just to justify the right answer). While introduces a dependent clause and needs to have a verb and must match in parallelism with the independent clause.
So, if all the options look wrong, how do we pick the best of them?

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2059 [0], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 13:11
sunny91 wrote:

Hey GMATNinja,
I feel in A, there is a lack of proper parallelism. they denounce big governments, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while supporting at the same time..........here denounce is not in parallel to supporting. I dont think supporting can be parallel to saying (just to justify the right answer). While introduces a dependent clause and needs to have a verb and must match in parallelism with the independent clause.

I'm thinking "out loud" a little bit here, and I'm not sure that I have this completely correct... but I don't think that the word "while" necessarily demands parallelism, or at least I never think of it that way. Whenever I see "and" or "or", I know that something HAS to be parallel, and those are the two parallelism "triggers" that show up the most often on the GMAT. But if there's a conjunction that joins a dependent with an independent clause, I don't actually think of it as parallelism, other than the fact that both clauses -- by definition -- need to have a subject and a verb. But that's not a very interesting form of parallelism, and there's no reason why the verbs couldn't be different tenses.

In this case, though, I think you might be struggling with a different issue: "while" doesn't explicitly require you to join a dependent clause with an independent clause. Here's a great explanation of the concept: https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-is- ... l#p1540391.

See if that article helps at all?

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2059 [0], given: 465

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 19:18
GMATNinja wrote:
sunny91 wrote:

Hey GMATNinja,

I'm thinking "out loud" a little bit here, and I'm not sure that I have this completely correct... but I don't think that the word "while" necessarily demands parallelism, or at least I never think of it that way. Whenever I see "and" or "or", I know that something HAS to be parallel, and those are the two parallelism "triggers" that show up the most often on the GMAT. But if there's a conjunction that joins a dependent with an independent clause, I don't actually think of it as parallelism, other than the fact that both clauses -- by definition -- need to have a subject and a verb. But that's not a very interesting form of parallelism, and there's no reason why the verbs couldn't be different tenses.

In this case, though, I think you might be struggling with a different issue: "while" doesn't explicitly require you to join a dependent clause with an independent clause. Here's a great explanation of the concept: https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-is- ... l#p1540391.

See if that article helps at all?

Thanks GmatNinja,
I got the answer from the reference u mention in the post. If although does not hve a subject in it's own sentence and has a subject directly attached to it in the independent clause, then we can avoid parallelism or although work without a verb.

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a c   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2017, 19:18

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a c

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap