Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [3]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of [#permalink]
Thank you so much for this very clear explanation !
This is true I should not think about how to better write the sentence and rather pick the best one... the issue was that I was tempted to disregard it in my final choice
I will have to keep in mind that, even if I don't like how this structure sounds, I should consider it right :)
Thanks again and have a nice day !
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello thereisaFire,

Thank you for the Pm. :-)

I want to clarify one doubt I have in choice E.

Quote:
The verb-ing modifier "extending .....Chile" modifies the previous action/clause. Now, since we know that the Doer of the modifier and the Doer of the modified entity should be same.
Here, the subject or the doer of the modified action is "The Incan Highway" and I think it does not make sense to say that the highway did the action of extending.
Hence, as per this logic, E should have been wrong.

Please let me know where I am faltering.

Appreciate it

Yes, it is true that the action presented by the comma + verb-ing modifier must logically connect with the subject of the modified action in modifying this action. This condition does stand in the correct answer choice of this question.

The comma + verb-ing modifier "extending... Chile" modifies the preceding clause "the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long" by presenting logical explanation of this clause. The highway itself extended from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile. So, the modifier action does connect logically with the subject (the Incan highway) of the modified action.

Let me know if you need further clarification on the same.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
While I understand why option C is incorrect and in this case option E seems the most correct option, I am still confused by the arrangements of clauses in option E.

the main clause ' the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long' is between two commas, and I have read on this forum several times that the main clause can not be inserted between two commas.

Experts, please help resolve this query.

Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Green12345554 wrote:
While I understand why option C is incorrect and in this case option E seems the most correct option, I am still confused by the arrangements of clauses in option E.

the main clause ' the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long' is between two commas, and I have read on this forum several times that the main clause can not be inserted between two commas.

Experts, please help resolve this query.

Thanks

You have to be really careful about making up "rules" that may or may not hold true on every single GMAT SC question. There simply isn't a rule saying that the main clause can't be between two commas. (C) starts with a modifier, goes into the main clause, and then ends with another modifier. That is absolutely fine!

Much of the time, information between two commas contains non-essential modifying information. But that doesn't mean that the stuff between commas is always non-essential. If the sentence makes sense and doesn't contain any black-and-white grammar errors, then you should leave it in and seek lower-hanging fruit in the other options.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile.

A. Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending “which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile” tells us more about the Incan Highway, but this sentence does not have a main verb.

B. Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, which had extended “had extended” implies that it does not extend that far anymore.

C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended “which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile” tells us more about the Incan Highway, but this sentence does not have a main verb.

D. Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended This sentence makes it seem like it was extended because it was over 2,500 miles in length.

E. Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending The clause beginning with“, extending” properly describes the Incan Highway.

- Nitha Jay
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
"this road is extended to point B" is correct. "this road is extended from point a to point b" is incorrect. this is purely meaning problem. so, choice d is wrong.

we have to find out a meaning problem for a sc questions. after eliminating 2 or 3 choice with structure error, we have to find the meaning error. focus on meaning to find meaning errors . this is realy hard. sometime, we feel some choice is better than the other but dont know why the first is better because we can not analyse the meaning for a short time
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
GMATNinja,

Based on your example, can we say that Verb-ed always have a doer whereas Verb-ing may or may not have a doer?

GMATNinja wrote:
Abhishekrao12 wrote:
I have a couple of questions :

1) My question is why cant i consider the extended as a past participle that is modifying the Incan highway?
I initially thought that "over 2,500 miles ... and extended (past participle) " will act as a modifier modifying the Incan highway.

2) I do understand that if i consider extended as a past participle , then i will have a prepositional phrase "over 2,500 miles..." parallel to a past participle modifier. So i can eliminate this option for nonparallel structure. Is my understanding correct ?

GMATNinja

There is a subtle difference between these two options:

1) "The Incan Highway, extended from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile, ..." - This implies that someone or something extended the highway. As described in this post, that isn't quite what we want here.
    2) "The Incan Highway, extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile, ..." - With "extending", there is no implication that someone or something extended the highway. Instead, the highway simply stretches out in distance.

Similarly, if we write, "The highway was extended...", we suggest that someone or something stretched out the highway, and that isn't the right meaning here.

And, yes, you could also argue that the parallelism is off here. But even if we get rid or the word "over" in choice (C) and make it, "... which was 2,500 miles in length and extended...", we'd still have the same issues described above.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
Based on your example, can we say that Verb-ed always have a doer whereas Verb-ing may or may not have a doer?

Nah. I could write, "Tired after a long day of chasing squirrels, Tim collapsed on the sofa and ate his weight in Cheetos." Here, "tired" describes "Tim," but the -ed modifier doesn't really have a doer.

So, no universal rule to memorize here. There's no avoiding it. You're going to have use context and... think. :)

I hope that clears things up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
aniket16c wrote:
rishabhmishra1993 wrote:
scorpio7 wrote:
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile.

(A) Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending
(B) Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, which had extended
(C) Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended
(D) Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended
(E) Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending

SC37620.01
Verbal Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

manhattan RonPurewal Sir i feel e is correct but i have a doubt, when ,ing modifier is used you said it must satisfy with the previous clause subject and ron sir said that previous subject is personally doing that thing, but in this option highway can't extend himself on its own. PLEASE REPLY!!!! need urgent help

Dear experts,
RonPurewal egmat GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo @empowergmat daagh mikemcgarry
I have the same doubt.
"Verb-ing + comma" plays 2 major roles - either it presents the result of previous clause or it presents the how aspect of the previous clause. However, in addition to this, the doer of the action needs to be the same.
While, I am thoroughly convinced that "extending ..." clearly describes the "Incan highway" I cannot convince myself about how can Incan highway be the doer of the action "extending .."

I have the same doubt. Request experts to clarify.
Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Sravan95 wrote:
aniket16c wrote:
rishabhmishra1993 wrote:
manhattan RonPurewal Sir i feel e is correct but i have a doubt, when ,ing modifier is used you said it must satisfy with the previous clause subject and ron sir said that previous subject is personally doing that thing, but in this option highway can't extend himself on its own. PLEASE REPLY!!!! need urgent help

Dear experts,
RonPurewal egmat GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo @empowergmat daagh mikemcgarry
I have the same doubt.
"Verb-ing + comma" plays 2 major roles - either it presents the result of previous clause or it presents the how aspect of the previous clause. However, in addition to this, the doer of the action needs to be the same.
While, I am thoroughly convinced that "extending ..." clearly describes the "Incan highway" I cannot convince myself about how can Incan highway be the doer of the action "extending .."

I have the same doubt. Request experts to clarify.
Thanks in advance.

We attempted to address this question earlier in the thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest ... l#p2515476.

Let us know if you have any follow-up questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
I have a question for this problem

In GMAT Prep the options are a little bit different :

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile.

A. Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending
B. Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended
C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended
D. Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended
E. Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending

Could any experts please elaborate on (B)?

(B) Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended

I'm not whether it is wrong just because of " , and" .

[The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus] is noun

was is a verb

extended can also be a verb parallel with was

Why is (B) wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Doesn't choice E place vital information between two commas? I'm struggling to differentiate between choices B & E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
cby21 wrote:
Doesn't choice E place vital information between two commas? I'm struggling to differentiate between choices B & E

Hi cby21,

That's not a pair of commas. The first comma is for the initial modifier (the greatest road system...), while the last comma is for the final modifier (extending...).

Quote:
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chile.

The element in the middle is the main subject-verb combination (the Incan highway was).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of [#permalink]

(A) Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending 'and' suggests that we have parallelism here but the distance and 'extending' is not parallel. Also ", which," is wrong in my opnion
(B) Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, which had extended the length extended from location A to location B or the highway did?
(C) Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended okay at first glance, parallelism works. which -> refers to the highway. Lets keep. but wait! what is the verb in the sentence? the subject in the greatest road... but theres no verb here!
(D) Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended alarm! GMAT doesnt like 'being'. Is there anything else wrong here? is 'was' necessary here?
(E) Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending extending modifies the highway, Good! and acts as a verb to the whole sentence so no to repeat c's mistake - CORRECT
* Notice that in (E), the subject is actually the highway, which is great! it makes sense. The first clause of the sentence modifies the highway as well as the last part
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM

Option Elimination -

(A) Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending - "which" introduces a relative clause, but there is no verb here.
(B) Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, which had extended - the reference to "which" is ambiguous, and neither makes sense. "which" referring to "length" is wrong. Moreover, "had extended" means an action before another past action "was extended." Are we saying before it was the Incan highway, it was already extended? No. These actions are simultaneous. Wrong.
(C) Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended - No verb. Wrong.
(D) Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended - usage of "being" as a modifier is an issue because of a wrong meaning. Usage is ok if
1. used as a noun/noun phrase such as Being punctual is an essential trait in the business world/The philosophy course explores the nature of being (here the nature of being refers to the philosophical inquiry into existence and reality or
2. passive continuous verbs such as - The car is being repaired by the mechanics.

Moreover, In a passive construction, "the road system was extended" doer? Did someone hold it from two corners and just extend it? Is it a clay toy? No. Wrong.

(E) Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending - ING is adverbial and modifies the preceding clause "highway was over 2,500 miles long." Ok.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts