Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [16]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 260 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Advertisement: A leading economist has determined that among people wh [#permalink]
The reasoning for OA (C) mentioned by Zeka seems to be a little too vague. Can't a junior employee earn enough to afford a laptop? Can't a junior employee be given a laptop in addition to a computer?
Option C says that instead of laptops causing higher salaries, higher salaries are enabling the purchase of laptop.Seems a little too generalized.

IMO, (A) seems like a better option. The argument relies on the data from only the last year. This is a relatively small number to make such a sweeping generalization that laptops cause higher salaries. (even though, this is slightly vague too, but less compared to option C )
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5739 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Re: Advertisement: A leading economist has determined that among people wh [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gandharvm, even in your argument for (A) you hit on why (C) is correct. You said that it causes something. But we have no idea about correlation equaling causation, which is why (C) is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3
Send PM
nightblade354 I am not sure I understand, kindly elaborate.
To clarify:
In support for (A) I argue that no generalizations can be made using data from only last year.
Against (C) I argue that there is no reason to believe that higher salaries are causing 'laptops'
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5739 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
sunniboy007 wrote:
Advertisement: A leading economist has determined that among people who used computers at their place of employment last year, those who also owned portable ("laptop") computers earned 25 percent more on average than those who did not. It is obvious from this that owning a laptop computer led to a higher-paying job.

Which one of the following identifies a reasoning error in the argument?

(A) It attempts to support a sweeping generalization on the basis of information about only a small number of individuals.
(B) Its conclusion merely restates a claim made earlier in the argument.
(C) It concludes that one thing was caused by another although the evidence given is consistent with the first thing's having cause the second.
(D) It offers information as support for a conclusion when that information actually shows that the conclusion is false.
(E) It uncritically projects currently existing trends indefinitely into the future.

:madd

Pre-thinking

The argument concludes that the ownership of computer led to higher paid jobs. The argument although leaves scope for another scenario: The higher paid job might have led to the ownership of the computer.

Option C, although it is not a must be true statement, suggests that there might be another scenario in line with our pre-thought alternative scenario.

POE

(A) It attempts to support a sweeping generalization on the basis of information about only a small number of individuals.
No generalization

(B) Its conclusion merely restates a claim made earlier in the argument.
The conclusion talks about a cause-effect relation while the previous sentence describes a fact. Hence the 2 entities are different

(D) It offers information as support for a conclusion when that information actually shows that the conclusion is false.
Incorrect

(E) It uncritically projects currently existing trends indefinitely into the future.
Conclusion is about the past, not the future
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
nightblade354 thanks for sharing the links. I understand the explanation from Manhattan, but I have one question.

How do we correctly delineate the premise? Manhattan expert says that "the first thing (a higher paying job = $J) causing the second thing (owning a laptop computer - L) to occur" which is $J --> L. The conclusion states the opposite, i.e. L --> $J.

The premise is in the 2nd part of the 1st sentence: "those who also owned portable ("laptop") computers earned 25 percent more on average". I originally diagrammed it as L --> $J, and this is the same as the conclusion. Obviously, I made a mistake in diagramming the premise. But I have hard time understanding how come $J -- > L. Can you please help? Thank you!
Current Student
Send PM
Expert Reply
mykrasovski, answer choice (C) isn't saying that one caused the other. In fact, it is saying the opposite, of sorts. It is saying that the evidence supports that either could cause the other to exist, as this is a correlation vs. causation confusion. Your writing out that the premise and conclusion are the same is somewhat correct, it just overlooks the fact that the conclusion could be reversed and still be true based on the premise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
nightblade354 oh alright. To make sure I understood you correctly, you mean that the premise is somewhat ambiguous meaning that either (a) L could cause $J OR (b) J$ could case L, while the conclusion is "one-sided" by saying (a).

Thanks much!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5739 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mykrasovski wrote:
nightblade354 oh alright. To make sure I understood you correctly, you mean that the premise is somewhat ambiguous meaning that either (a) L could cause $J OR (b) J$ could case L, while the conclusion is "one-sided" by saying (a).

Thanks much!

That is correct. The premise supports A caused B or B caused A, but the conclusions says it is only one way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
nightblade354
In option C it says that the evidence is against the conclusion, but I cant seem to find any such evidence, this really threw me off. Please help.
Current Student
Send PM
Expert Reply
deveshj21 wrote:
nightblade354
In option C it says that the evidence is against the conclusion, but I cant seem to find any such evidence, this really threw me off. Please help.

deveshj21, let's break down (C): It concludes that one thing was caused by another although the evidence given is consistent with the first thing's having cause the second.

At first glance, you might think, as you asked, that (C) is stating that the information in the premise goes against the conclusion. But this is not what this is saying, as I explained above. (C) is saying that the argument uses a premise to come to a conclusion, when they could use the conclusion to conclude the premise. In basic English, this is a correlation-causation error, and this is what answer choice (C) is trying to say. It is not saying that the premise and conclusion do not align; it says that they are, more or less, interchangeable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
stoolfi wrote:
C. Argument assumes correlation=causation, and might mistake cause for effect.

agree this is right. But option C does not say this. Its pretty vague.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts