It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 16:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: The world s best coffee beans come from

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 31

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 16:40
C is the clear answer.
Suppose,
Kreemo sells 100 pounds of coffee and uses 50 pounds of Colombian beans.
XYZ another company sells 20 pounds of coffee and uses 20 pounds of beans.
XYZ sells better quality blended coffee than Kreemo because it uses 100% Colombian beans.

I hope it is clear.

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 31

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 5

Concentration: General Management
Advertisement: The world s best coffee beans come from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2012, 06:52
ssarkar wrote:
Advertisement: The world’s best coffee beans come from Colombia. The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend, and no company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee, Inc. So it only stands to reason that if you buy a can of Kreemo’s coffee, you’re buying the best blended coffee available today.
The reasoning of the argument in the advertisement is flawed because it overlooks the possibility that
(A) the equipment used by Kreemo to blend and package its coffee is no different from that used by most other coffee producers
(B) not all of Kreemo’s competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell
(C) Kreemo sells more coffee than does any other company
(D) Kreemo’s coffee is the most expensive blended coffee available today
(E) the best unblended coffee is better than the best blended coffee

will go with C - Kreemo's buys the most Colombian beans as it sells more coffee than any other company - so it may not be using more Colombian beans in a blend than any other company which buys less Colombian beans (this company may be using more beans in blend but have less sales than Kreemo's)

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 105

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Re: Advertisement: The world s best coffee beans come from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2012, 11:09
I got the answer rather quickly but may have been lucky. When I read the prompt I immediately made the connection that purchasing more beans does not mean having more beans in the product you sell. The only answer choice that highlighted this discrepancy was answer C.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 105

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2012, 03:13
well tricky question.
good explanation by matt +1

thanks

--shadab
Gmat FlashCard For Anki

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 38

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2012, 04:48
I think its C...easy one!
Cheers..

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2012, 15:24
Advertisement: The world’s best coffee beans come from Colombia. The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend, and no company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee. Inc. So it only stands to reason that if you buy a can of Kreemo’s coffee, you’re buying the best blended coffee available today.

The reasoning of the argument in the advertisement is flawed because it overlooks the possibility that

(A) the equipment used by Kreemo to blend and package its coffee is no different from that used by most other coffee producers
(B) not all of Kreemo’s competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell

According to most posts on here, this is supposedly a weaken question. However, the question askes to identify the flaw in the reasoning - which points to a FLAW question, an entirely different type of question.

KAPLAN BOOK: For Flaw questions, find the conclusion, evidence, and central assumption(s), then pre-phrase an answer that indicates the logical fallacy of the assumption

What is the central assumption? The central assumption is, that since Kreemo buys most of the Colombian coffee (which is the best) that it sells the highest quality blend.

A flaw question requires you to find the logical fallacy of the assumption.

(A) If the central assumption is that the amount of colombian coffee purchased is the only indicator for a high quality blend, it certainly includes the assumption that any kind of 'blending' would be indentical among competitors - which may not be the case. By considering that the 'blending' also impacts the quality, the argument becomes flawed.

(C) If the central assumption is that the amount of colombian coffee purchased is the only indicator for a high quality blend, the fact that Kreemo sells more coffee than its competitor has nothing to do with the amount of the blend in it - at least without massive mental fabrication of coffeebean ratios. Since Kreemo buys more Colombian coffee than anyone else, it is reasonable to assume that this fact alone is the cause.

Lets try this again, assuming this is a weaken question.

For Weaken questions, find the conclusion, evidence, and central assumption(s), then pre-phrase an answer that denies (weakens) a central assumption, then go to answer choices

The conclusion is that Kreemo makes the best coffee blend. The Evidence is that Kreemo buys more colombian coffee than any other competitor and the central assumption is that the coffee quality only relies on the amount of colombian coffee in the blend.

A similar logic than above can reasonably be applied.

If this is an official GMAC question and (C) is the official answer, I would like to hear what the fact that Kreemo sells more coffee than anybody else has to do with the central assumption - WITHOUT adding excessive fabrication and numerous additional assumptions about the quality of coffee that may or may not be thinned out or blended with other coffees.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 02:07
confused... . all options seem wrong to me :)

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 06:19
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Everybody seems to be on the right track with this one, but I wanted to respond to a few complaints. This is a VERY realistic GMAT question. There are no ambiguous answers. The problem is only if you spend too much time writing stories in your head, in which case, any answer choice can begin to look good. This argument says they buy the most Colombian beans, but think of it this way:

If I buy 10 beans and you only buy one bean, it may look like I must have the best coffee.

But if you only sell one cup of coffee, your one bean means the overall quality of your coffee is super excellent.
If I then sell 10,000 cups of coffee, splitting my ten beans between them, the overall quality of my coffee is super poor.

This is why the answer is what it is. Don't get into thought processes involving the history of the company, why people buy their coffee, what effect technology may have...ANYTHING that isn't in the passage itself. Keep in mind that this question asks you weaken THE ARGUMENT, not THE CONCLUSION, so you won't be bringing in any new information.

Word up.

Hope that helps!

Hi,

Hope we can discuss no matter what the correct answer is:
Conclusion Kreemo’s Coffee Buying the best blended coffee available today.

Consider this :

Kreemo's Sale : 10 M.....Near Competitor : 9 .5 M

Kreemo's no doubt selling more coffee than others , but this has no relation with buying and blended coffee.

Regards
Sanjiv

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3546 [0], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2013, 02:36
I picked C.
The flaw is lied on the statistic. Buying more coffee beans does not mean having more beans in the blend per cup. If Kreemo sells more coffee cups, the amount of coffee beans in the blend per cup will be reduced. Hence, C is correct.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3546 [0], given: 123

Sloan MIT Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 36

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Darden '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2013, 01:30
I chose C because the passage said that The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend and claim that no company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee and ask for flawed in the argument in the advertisement.

It's possible for another brands of coffee to have more Colombian bean than Kreemo because if they sell less coffee they won't need to buy the coffee as much as Kreemo to achieve more Colombian ratio in the blend.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2014, 09:30
why can't it be option B ?

Conclusion - So it only stands to reason that if you buy a can of Kreemo’s coffee, you’re buying the best blended coffee available today.

the above sentence means - some of Kreemo's competitors use CCB in the blends of coffee they sell. IMO argument is flawed because even though the quantity of the beans is not mentioned, we didn't care about the chance of other players selling coffee with CCB(unknown proportion of beans).

Please counter my argument as I have seen no one discussing about this option.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 20:57
perfectstranger wrote:
snipertrader wrote:
Advertisement: The world’s best coffee beans come from Colombia. The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend, and no company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee, Inc. So it only stands to reason that if you buy a can of Kreemo’s coffee, you’re buying the best blended coffee available today.

Premise 1: The world’s best coffee beans come from Colombia
Premise 2: The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend, and no company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee, Inc.
Conclusion: it only stands to reason that if you buy a can of Kreemo’s coffee, you’re buying the best blended coffee available today

The sentence need an assumption : Kreemo's sales figure must be comparable that of others if the quality will be compared. If Kreemo sells more coffee than others than it is incorrect to assert that their coffee is best since The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend,
C

It should be C...as we are using a comparison word Best...but we do not know exact sales figures of coffee

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 178

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 05:16
karlsyf wrote:
I'd say C.

The statement says that ratio of Colombian beans to total beans in a blend affects quality.

So

Colombian beans
---------------- = quality (roughly)
Total number of beans

The conclusion is therefore the more Colombian beans purchased, the higher the quality.

However the second part of the equation is not clear, i.e. how many beans total they use.

So if Kreemo's sales are sufficiently high, they may be diluting their coffee with lesser quality beans, and hence not have the highest quality coffee. This is also born out by real world experience (not that I'm suggesting you rely on that for GMAT =) ).

Using process of elimination, A states all equipment used is the same, and therefore removes a possible alternative factor affecting quality, strengthening the argument rather than weakening it. B also strengthens it. D price has no connection to quality, or to the argument made, which is solely referring to quality. E may be true, but the statement specifically says "You're buying the best blended coffee available today" and so is out of scope.

Both methods reach the same conclusion so I'm fairly confident.

What is OA?

Hi,

Can u please explain how B strengthens the claim.IMO if for example no/very few coffee makers use Colombian beans then even if Kreemo uses 5 gms of coffee in the blend,then it can be said that they use the most COlombian coffee.However that very little quantity of CCoffee might not be enough to really improve the quality.
Could this be a correct explanation,or is it too far fetched!?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 178

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 12:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 346

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 23:13
assumption is buying more means adding more beans to blend
What if the company is not adding more beans
example company buying 100 gm beans and using 10 gm per coffee , actually selling 10 cups
another company buying 50 grams and adding 5 gm er cup , we can say Kreemo coffee is adding more beans to blend
What if adding K comp adding 5 gm er cup and selling 20 cups. C is the answer

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 346

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 02:56
It says that more the beans, better the blend. X brand purchases it more than anyone other company and hence the best.

But what if they sell lot of coffee cans and hence they need more of those beans. So the actual proportion of the beans in that coffee could be less.

C

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 140

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1024

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 19:02
this question is not clear enough, and I suppose all options are wrong. It is because the option is based on an assumption that the company will use more beans in a blend when the company buys the largest amount of Colombian beans. For this reason, C may not be the answer.

From this question, I learn that what if there are more than one flaws in the argument, what should test takers do?

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1024

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 32

Re: Advertisement: The world s best coffee beans come from   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2017, 09:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ] 

Advertisement: The world s best coffee beans come from

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap