Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Send PM
Re: Advice for Schools - Engineer [#permalink]
Hey Jeff,

You should definitely be focused on your resume first - that's an integral part to preparing your recommenders. Those two components need to be underway before you worry about essays. You're on the right track there.

Ross is a great option there too. Also, their focus on experiential learning can really give you some compelling experiences to talk about during your interviews. We love Ross and one of our consultants bleeds blue and yellow - he probably loves it more than the rest of us combined!

Story - Unfortunately, I can't say this offhand in this forum. I don't mean that to be frustrating but generally when we develop stories with our clients, the conversation takes 1 - 2 hours depending on how many schools we are working on. And that's just story. That isn't the assessment or school selection or anything else. That is solely the story session. We would need to have a much more thorough understanding of you before we could find the hook that is unique, realistic, and compelling. Sorry - I know that isn't the answer you were hoping for!

R1 v. R2 - If you're applying to 5 - 6 schools, spread it out. I would say do HBS, Kellogg, and maybe 1 or 2 of your "varying degrees of aligned" in R1. That will get your applications out to the majority of the programs you're targeting in R1 which is your goal. Then, in R2, do the remaining "varying degrees of aligned" and your safety. This will not only help you space things out, but keep your recommenders from being overwhelmed. There are ways to tweak the above but generally, I would say the majority of your focus goes into R1 with strategic de-prioritized schools in R2.

Does that make sense?

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hey Jeff,

R1 v. R2 - If you're applying to 5 - 6 schools, spread it out. I would say do HBS, Kellogg, and maybe 1 or 2 of your "varying degrees of aligned" in R1. That will get your applications out to the majority of the programs you're targeting in R1 which is your goal. Then, in R2, do the remaining "varying degrees of aligned" and your safety. This will not only help you space things out, but keep your recommenders from being overwhelmed. There are ways to tweak the above but generally, I would say the majority of your focus goes into R1 with strategic de-prioritized schools in R2.

Does that make sense?

Bhavik

Yes it does, thank you. One last question: When is the deposit deadline for R1 at most schools? Would I know the R2 decision before I'd have to put a deposit down? That part is still unclear to me.
Send PM
My pleasure. So unfortunately, no, you wouldn't know R2 decisions. Best case you would have interview invitations by the time R1 deposits are due.

Now, there are two things to this. For one, I mentioned your R2 schools should be your lower priority ones and specifically because of this reason. The thought would be if you got into one of the 3 - 4 schools in R1, it wouldn't matter the decisions in R2 because you would go to one of the R1 schools before the R2 schools anyway. Now let's say by the time you apply to R2 schools things have changed and, for some reason, one of your R2 schools is where you're dying to go. Well, in that case, you would probably still put a deposit down on the R1 school you have as a back up and if you get into the R2 program, you'd lose out on your deposit. It's seems like a lot of money but in the grand scheme, it really isn't. A lost $2K deposit against a $180K MBA has to be kept in perspective, right? However, if you think long and hard about how you prioritize your schools (visits, interviews, research) you can mitigate the risk of this happening.

The other annoying thing about the way the rounds work is that you will need to be working on your R2 applications the moment you submit your R1 apps. The deadlines for R2 follow, in most cases, on the heel of R1 decisions and if you would wait until then, you'd be in a bad spot! For example, if you get R1 decisions mid-December and R2 decisions are the 1st of January, you can't put everything together (including your recommendations) in just 2 - 3 short weeks.

What would be ideal is if all the schools got together and established a common schedule - but - that isn't going to happen :)

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:

The other annoying thing about the way the rounds work is that you will need to be working on your R2 applications the moment you submit your R1 apps. The deadlines for R2 follow, in most cases, on the heel of R1 decisions and if you would wait until then, you'd be in a bad spot! For example, if you get R1 decisions mid-December and R2 decisions are the 1st of January, you can't put everything together (including your recommendations) in just 2 - 3 short weeks.

Plus the fact that R2 deadlines are right after the winter holidays! Not convenient.
Send PM
I suppose that's just another test - do you want an MBA enough to miss the marathon of holiday movies? :)
GMAT Club Bot