Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [47]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy

GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [7]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32915 [5]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Advice from a computer security expert, on passwords used for accessin [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Thanks for the post Genopath! :)

As the OA mentions, the answers would be 'Sacrifice of Time' and a 'Gain of Security'. An argument can be made for the Sacrifice of Money as well, but the second paragraph gives more emphasis on the time factor than the cost of the software, and as mentioned the software can be procured for little or no cost at all.

Regards,
Arpan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Advice from a computer security expert, on passwords used for accessin [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi experts,
I got confused with the fundamental part of the question. When the question reads "For a computer user with multiple accounts who would not otherwise use a different strong password on every account, the expert's advice amounts to suggesting that users make certain sacrifices in order to make certain gains.", I interpreted it the part "for a user with multiple accounts who would not use a different strong password" as "a user who wouldn't actually install a software but continue to have several accounts with the same difficult password". I have difficulty in breaking down this part and eventually selected the exact opposite of the correct answer i.e security as sacrifice and time as gain. Kindly help me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [4]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
SubashRajesh wrote:
Hi experts,
I got confused with the fundamental part of the question. When the question reads "For a computer user with multiple accounts who would not otherwise use a different strong password on every account, the expert's advice amounts to suggesting that users make certain sacrifices in order to make certain gains.", I interpreted it the part "for a user with multiple accounts who would not use a different strong password" as "a user who wouldn't actually install a software but continue to have several accounts with the same difficult password". I have difficulty in breaking down this part and eventually selected the exact opposite of the correct answer i.e security as sacrifice and time as gain. Kindly help me.

Hi SubashRajesh,

Not 100% about your confusion point. I'll give it a quick try anyways.

"For a computer user with multiple accounts who would not otherwise use a different strong password on every account, the expert's advice amounts to suggesting that users make certain sacrifices in order to make certain gains."

In this case, we are talking about a computer user who has multiple accounts, and for all we know these accounts could all have the same password, strong or weak, or all have different but weak passwords, or a mix of all this. For this type of user, we are asked to identify what would be gained and what would need to be sacrificed to follow the expert's recommendation.

As per paragraph 1, the expert's advice is to have a different AND strong password for every single account. The expert then makes a suggestion on how to achieve this without having to remember multiple difficult passwords, which most users can't do.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, I thought the same as SubashRajesh did. However, if we are asked to identify "sacrifice" or "gain" of people who don't have a different strong password for every single account (having the same password, strong or weak, or all have different but weak passwords, or a mix of all this as Hadrienlbb said), why these people gain security and lost time?
So, "For a computer user with multiple accounts who would not otherwise use a different strong password on every account" is about user who doesn't have the same password? Words "different" and "otherwise" here make me so confused.

Anyone please help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Sacrifice security or time
Gain security or time

It can be argued either way as it is based on just one single same action/observation (someone uses one single easy password), so it all depends on what your focus is which dictates your perspective.

One could think sacrifice security - to gain time. which is a layman's or my answer.
However this article is about promoting security (ie, it is from a security expert), so he will be arguing for security.
Therefore he will be saying: one want to sacrifice time - to gain security.

If you ask me, this is a rubbish question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Kudos
SubashRajesh wrote:
Hi experts,

I've got the same problem. I thought on a person who does not use a strong password and neither use the software. So he would sacrifice security, but gain time, because he would use the same password for every account or because he would not need to spend the time filling the software with information :|
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SubashRajesh wrote:
Hi experts,

I think you missed the word 'otherwise'.

The text says, "For a computer user with multiple accounts who would not otherwise use a different strong password on every account, the expert's advice amounts to suggesting that users make certain sacrifices in order to make certain gains."

The 'otherwise' here indicates that this user wouldn't use a different strong password on every account WITHOUT THE SOFTWARE.

Thus, the question pertains to this user who wouldn't adhere to the expert's advice without the software.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11178 posts