Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: advice needed [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TomB wrote:
First of all thank you very much for your prompt response. So far I have covered mgamt guides and tests, and my scores were between 530-590 range. I never had a score of 460 in my practice tests , and i dont know what happened during test. Even I dont have that confidence to retake the gmat. please guide am i capable to retake the gmat with IR section? . How can i know the pricing options for your products?. I heard some where in the forum that to improve RC skills everybody have to read fiction novels. Do i need to start reading those novels before i enroll in any prep course or can i do both things simultaneously. Do I need to know all grammar for sc before enrolling your course if that is the case please suggest me a grammar book. I am sorry if am asking too many question.

I'm happy to answer your questions. :)

1) If you are stronger in Quantitative, you will probably find the IR section more approachable. You can get a taste of the IR questions here: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/nex-gen/int ... rmats.aspx Click on the link for each format, and you will see sample questions. Again, given your relative strength on the Quantitative side, I would think you would find the IR section relatively straightforward.

2) For pricing options on our product, click here: https://gmat.magoosh.com/plans

3) Fiction is not the best. One of the best things you can read in preparation for the GMAT RC is the Economist magazine. See this post:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/reading-fo ... economist/
The NY Times & WSJ & Scientific American are also excellent reading material. Also, academic textbooks & articles in any of the natural or social science would be fine.

4) The Magoosh lesson videos include a long series on grammar for the GMAT SC. It covers everything. You can start "from scratch" on grammar, and we'll give you everything you need.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you very much for your response. I have one more doubt. I am not seeing any practice tests in your pricing plans. How can I get practice tests?. I already practiced gmat prep software and mgmat guides. Are bunch of practice questions sufficient. Do i need any extra books for practice like og 13, qunat guides.

Thank you very much
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
TomB wrote:
Thank you very much for your response. I have one more doubt. I am not seeing any practice tests in your pricing plans. How can I get practice tests?. I already practiced gmat prep software and mgmat guides. Are bunch of practice questions sufficient. Do i need any extra books for practice like og 13, qunat guides.

You can answer the Magoosh questions in individual practice mode or in test mode. That would be one test. I would say: practice the questions individually for a while, and then after a few months, go back to the tests in the GMAT Prep or in the MGMAT (you can do all of those multiple times), and I think you will see a big difference.

As for books, you definitely should own some edition of the OG, and MGMAT books are probably the best printed material available. You can see the study materials I recommend on this 3 month schedule:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... beginners/
(There are other versions of the study plans on the side bars.)

I hope all this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hai mike

I read your 3 version plans. I am more inclined to plan A. My concern is I already completed og 12 and i know almost all answers in og guide. Is that ok to do all known og problems. What about og 13. along with OG , can you suggest any other material for me to practice to know my progress?. In plan A you are told to do sc , rc, cr without watching any verbal videos?. Is that ok.

thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
TomB wrote:
I read your 3 version plans. I am more inclined to plan A. My concern is I already completed og 12 and i know almost all answers in og guide. Is that ok to do all known og problems. What about og 13. along with OG , can you suggest any other material for me to practice to know my progress?. In plan A you are told to do sc , rc, cr without watching any verbal videos?. Is that ok.

You could get the OG 13 --- there aren't that many new questions in the OG 13, just a few dozen in each section. The BIG advantage of getting the OG13 is that it will give you access to GMAC's website with IR practice questions.

Magoosh has hundreds of practice questions, and each one comes with its own video explanation, so if you sign up for Magoosh, you won't be lacking in practice questions. You could review the OG questions you already know --- that review could only help --- but don't worry about seeing enough new questions. You will have plenty.

In Plan A, you watch both math videos and verbal videos --- it's just that there are more math videos, so you start with those. You will see the first three verbal videos on Week One, Day Six. Don't worry --- there are plenty of verbal videos. Incidentally, given your relative strengths, I'm curious why you wouldn't opt for Plan C. From what you've said, it seems to me Plan C would be most concentrated precisely where you most want help. What do you think?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
TomB wrote:
yesterday, I took my gmat test and scored 460( q-40, v-15). Trust me, verbal is really hard for me ,and what i think is i am really doing very well on the test. I really shocked after I saw my verbal score. In mock tests my verbal score is between 26-34. I dont know what to do right now.

Which tests did you take? The GMATPrep? If so there has to be a major anomaly to see such a discrepancy. Did you take the test with the AWA section? Did you take it with appropriate breaks? Did anything different happen on the real test? You would need to give some more insights.

TomB wrote:
I already completed all mgmat tests , og 12 questions and gmat prep tests. Where can i get extra practice tests. Is it worth to sign in in any online prep course?. please give me some insights which test prep course is best to improve verbal score .I really want to improve my verbal score by at least 15 points. please some body guide me how to improve my verbal score. Where can i get info about integrated reasoning?. So far I covered following books:

I run a test prep company that focuses on GMAT Verbal. However no one can really help you unless you analyze your problems. You have already taken a good course i.e. MGMAT books so there is nothing that you DON'T know. So internalize the problem (where did I go wrong? how can I improve?) - don't externalize it (i.e. answer lies in reading another book). Unless you do this no course can give you any improvement.

Don't worry about IR. With your score I would recommend you need to focus on improving your scores first.

TomB wrote:
mgmat 5 guides
mgmat sc
mgmat rc
power score Cr
og 12,
og quant, verbal guides

What did you gain from reading these books? I think you need to ask yourself more incisive questions:

1) In SC, are you able to eliminate the answer options using basic rules of grammar? At a raw score of 15 you really don't need to worry about anything else. Considering you have done the MGMAT book - where are you going wrong?

2) In CR, you have gone through the theory, but are you able to apply them while answer questions? If not, then have you sought any alternate approach? Are you able to understand how to get the assumptions (60%), and how to infer correctly (30%)?

3) In RC, do you have a problem understanding the passage or answering the questions? I would rather have a problem with the former than the latter. Think about it.

Again these are some food for thought - you need to do a better analysis of the situation.

Arun
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hai Arun

Thank you very much for your response. Mistakes I have analysed so far are:

For Rc, I can understand and comprehend the R.c, but I am unable to answer the questions. My main difficulty is I can read the paragraphs and comprehend them seprately but unable to squeeze those paragraphs into one mainpoint.

For s.c, I have gone through MGMATSC so many times but not comprehend it completely. I just skip so many topics as i unable to understand. One major problem for sc is lack of practice material and i started studying OG without knowinng any grammar rules. As a result, after studying MGMATSC when i started studying Og again I automatically knew the answers for Sc.

For c.r, It is same as S.c. I have gone through all c.r question in og so many times without knowing basic questions in c.r. After studying powerscore c.r, I started practicing all og question again as i read them before i dont have any difficulty to comprehend the m. I easily answer those questions, but i really dont know where i stand in c.r questions.

For quant, I know all those topics in Mgmat guides but unable to apply the concepts practically.

This is my situation. So i want to enroll in a prep course in which i can get practice questions other than Og. Please provide your valuable suggestions.
one more point, I am very tensed and totally blanked during the exam
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
TomB wrote:
For Rc, I can understand and comprehend the R.c, but I am unable to answer the questions. My main difficulty is I can read the paragraphs and comprehend them seprately but unable to squeeze those paragraphs into one mainpoint.
For s.c, I have gone through MGMATSC so many times but not comprehend it completely. I just skip so many topics as i unable to understand. One major problem for sc is lack of practice material and i started studying OG without knowinng any grammar rules. As a result, after studying MGMATSC when i started studying Og again I automatically knew the answers for Sc.
For c.r, It is same as S.c. I have gone through all c.r question in og so many times without knowing basic questions in c.r. After studying powerscore c.r, I started practicing all og question again as i read them before i dont have any difficulty to comprehend the m. I easily answer those questions, but i really dont know where i stand in c.r questions.
For quant, I know all those topics in Mgmat guides but unable to apply the concepts practically.
This is my situation. So i want to enroll in a prep course in which i can get practice questions other than Og. Please provide your valuable suggestions.
one more point, I am very tensed and totally blanked during the exam

Dear TomB,

First of all, I don't think you are going to fine high quality GMAT prep at a cheaper price than you find it at Magoosh. See our testimonials. Furthermore, we have close integration between our lessons and practice questions, so that it's easy to get concrete practice and see if you really understand as well as you think you do. BTW, here's a blog about what it means to understand on the GMAT:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/understan ... rformance/

You say that tension & stress is a big problem during the exam. Here's a trio of blogs the address exam-related stress:
a) https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/overcome- ... y-breathe/
b) https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/beating-gmat-stress/
c) https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-gmat- ... g-picture/

Finally, here's the free IR eBook again --- starting tomorrow, you will need this for the GMAT.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-inte ... ing-ebook/

I hope all that's helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts