Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Advice needed for international school selection [#permalink]
Thankd bsd_lover and pathfinder_77 for your replies. Can you also shed some light on INSEAD waitlists? I have an admit from McGill as well, but I am more interested in international programs in Europe as I already have my undergrad degree from McGill.

I am sure you already know that a large majority of applicants at LBS R3 either got waitlisted or dinged. Hardly any admits.

I have to make the Oxford decision by June 28. IE admission is good for 2 years so I am not worried. If I plan to wait out for LBS and INSEAD waitlist, I might have to forego Oxford. Do you know if Oxford allows delay in making payment or defer the admission for next year? After your reply, I feel like waiting out.

Will appreciate any input.

Originally posted by asadkiz on 07 Jun 2009, 00:18.
Last edited by asadkiz on 07 Jun 2009, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
asadkiz wrote:
Do you know if Oxford allows delay in making payment or defer the admission for next year? After your reply, I feel like waiting out.
Is it a deposit or full tuition payment? If deposit, what is the cost of the the Oxford "option"?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It is a deposit of 5000 British Pounds. How much to follow, I am not sure, may be an Oxford admit might be able to shed more light.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
That is a pretty serious amount to have a mere "option". Perhaps if you shed some more light on your aims and priorities in terms of what you want from the b-school experience we might be able to go through your options in more depth.

As a guide line, try answering the following :
When do you want to graduate ?
What are your post MBA aims ?
What is your post MBA work location preference ?
What kind of recruiters would you require access too (try to name a few firms if you can)?
How much do you value the UE brand when compared to the E and NE brands ?
What is your b-school "budget" ?

asadkiz wrote:
It is a deposit of 5000 British Pounds. How much to follow, I am not sure, may be an Oxford admit might be able to shed more light.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi Asadkiz,

And congrats with your admits. In my opinion, Oxford is a better choice than IE (especially if you are not planning to take agvantage of IE connections in Spain and Spanish-speaking countries). As for comparison to LBS and INSEAD, Oxford is not there yet: it has some pretty strong areas, but for traditional MBA industries LBS and INSEAD are better choices. Still, for some people with specific career aspirations (like myself) Oxford (or Cambridge) might have advantage even here.

I completely understand your desire to take all possible chances to get to your dream school. And I also know that Oxford deposit of 4650 GBP is quite large to pay it 'just in case'. So perhaps my experience could be of help. I was R1 Oxford admit, and got my decision when my financial situation was very, very poor. I simply had no money to pay that deposit in time. So, I wrote to SBS and explained my situation, and they were kind enough to grant me an extension - and I can say that without it, I wouldn't have now this nice blue avatar :)

So, as you see, the adcom is quite friendly there - perhaps they could give you the time you need. But you still will need to understand if you will play this INSEAD waitlist game till the end (Bsd-lover's experience with LBS was fascinating... but it indeed requires a very strong commitment to the school).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, here is further information about me:

I would like to work for an MNC or an international MC firm. Other choice could be an international organization like World Bank etc.. Would like to travel and work in different countries. I was aiming for INSEAD so the UE will always be the first goal. Although I can live with E. It is not that I would mind working in Spain or Latin America, but it would have to be in a position or a company where I do not need to know Spanish like a native tongue, as post-MBA, I know that there is no way for me to master Spanish even if I study in Spain.

As most of my MBA budget will be borrowed money from banks and other organizations, I cannot comment on budget. Post-MBA in a year or two, depending upon the economic conditions, I would like to work in Dubai, as that will be my favourite place to work. I am 26, and although my heart is set on finishing my MBA by the next year, but if I were to wait for another year (if guaranteed a place) to go to INSEAD or LBS I would do it.

Originally posted by asadkiz on 07 Jun 2009, 06:35.
Last edited by asadkiz on 07 Jun 2009, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Haha that doesn't quite narrow it down too much (at least it doesn't help us eliminate anything). Lets start with Oxford vs IE for now. I wouldn't cause too much controversy by suggesting that between these two, Oxford should be the easy pick. It will cover most of your priorities :
- Superb International Brand (it doesn't really get much better than Oxford)
- Placements in multinationals in roles that will allow lots of travel (perhaps an Oxford admit can confirm whether World Bank hires there or not)
- Great international / diverse class

So I think it will really be a toss up between - how badly do you want that UE brand (LBS/INSEAD) and the uncertainty of WL vs the certainty of Oxford. You should probably also factor in that LBS will cost you appx 90K GBP (when you add up living and fees). Out of this you can realistically only borrow up to 40K GBP via the HSBC plan. The rest will come out of internships + other sources such as savings, personal loans and bank heists. So, is it worthwhile waiting a whole year (LBS class of 2010 will only start next august more than 15 months from now) for LBS ? Additionally, For LBS, I can give you some internal figures that I have access to in the LBS accepted students portal, via pm (believe me those numbers will not please you as a waitlister for 2009).

INSEAD is different. I don't know too much about the school as I was never interested in going there, but it has two intakes - one in January and another in September. So, in theory there should be more movement with the INSEAD waitlist (due to the larger overall class size). However, it might be best to check with an INSEAD admit / student (Nerdboy ?). Because you are prepared to wait, would be worthwhile asking INSEAD for a deferred place in its September intake ? Or would this require a full reapplication ? Even in this scenario you will need to wait nearly 15 months before you can start. Whereas at Oxford, you will be finished with the MBA by then.

So perhaps as greenoak suggested, you could ask Oxford to push out the deposit deadline for you so that you can buy some more time. OR, since you have made it clear that time of graduation is not the biggest priority, you could ask Oxford for a deferral of your place till next year (I know someone who got his LBS admit successfully deferred). This way you will have ALL your options open for next year and you can keep playing the waiting game with the UEs. I can assure you that LBS will definitely reward your patience with special attention next year.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
If you are keen on going to school this year, than go to Oxford. It is fine school at one of the best universities in the World and I'm sure it will play the game for you much better than IE, considering your international experience and goals.

On the other hand, your statistics work for you. Since you are 26, waiting for one more year wouldn't be bad at all for you. That way, you can work on some acpects of the application you find week, although you don't have much weaknesses being WLed at INSEAD and LBS. Maybe you should spend forecomming year in some interesting extraculicular or you could improve your GMAT (if you haven't, of course, scored something like 770 already :) ). Next year, besides reapplying to LBS and INSEAD, you could consider some USA ultra-elites. Some of them will do the trick in your post MBA international career for sure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
So, as you already know, INSEAD is a great fit for your career goals - multinational employer, job that involves a lot of travel. Your work experience looks awesome (much better than mine in fact) and probably you were waitlisted due to a large number of applicants with a profile similar to yours. I don't really know, just speculating.

There is movement on the INSEAD waitlist, or so I've heard. A friend of mine was admitted last year from the waitlist in R3 - here's your anecdotal evidence. Yield is between 70 and 80 per cent and like bsd lover mentioned, the class size is large. According to rumours and random people on the Internet, many Americans with good profiles get admitted to INSEAD and UE schools in the US, sometimes they choose the other schools, you should have a good chance playing the waitlist game. I have no idea about how long waitlisted applicants have to wait for the final decision though. Furthermore, I honestly have no idea about the proper waitlist etiquette, meaning what info to send to the adcom, how often to call, etc.

Just to give you a fuller picture: INSEAD gives deferrals only in truly exceptional cases. The adcom decides on deferral requests and they expect to be impressed with a great story about the unexpected challenge that prevented you from attending. The same goes for re-applications: you need to have a compelling story, which explains why you are applying again and how you have improved since you last applied.

Finally, it is up to you. You may have a good chance with the waitlist and INSEAD is not deferral-friendly and not re-applicant-friendly. If this year is the year you need to start your MBA, go for Oxford. If INSEAD is your first and only love, then sit on the waitlist, because re-applying may be tough.

Originally posted by Nerdboy on 07 Jun 2009, 10:14.
Last edited by Nerdboy on 07 Jun 2009, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks nerdboy. I would appreciate any info you give me regarding the movement in the waitlist at INSEAD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
asadkiz wrote:
Thanks nerdboy. I would appreciate any info you give me regarding the movement in the waitlist at INSEAD.

For R1 admits, the deposit is due on the 26th. After that date, I will be able to report on the first movements, as some people will not pay the deposit for whatever reason and I will see them disappear from MBA connect and new people, presumably from the waitlist, should come up in their place.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks nerdboy, will appreciate your input.
GMAT Club Bot