It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 10:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 440 [3], given: 50

Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge
Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 03:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (01:51) correct 71% (01:57) wrong based on 1232 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on beverage containers are necessary for environmental protection because they help to ensure that plastic and glass bottles as well as aluminum cans are recycled. This is, the advocates say, because the five-cent redemption programs provide a strong incentive to return the used containers to recycling facilities. However, a recent study found that states without a bottle deposit had more success in implementing comprehensive recycling programs, which include paper, plastics, and steel, in addition to the beverage containers, than did states with a bottle deposit law.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in analyzing the significance of the study referenced above?

A) Did any of the states surveyed lose revenue on the bottle deposit program?
B) Do the citizens of the states that were studied prefer five-cent redemption programs on beverage containers?
C) When the five-cent deposit programs were implemented, were the citizens of the states that began programs as enthusiastic about recycling as the citizens of the other states?
D) Did citizens of the states with and without bottle deposit programs purchase comparable numbers of beverages in plastic, glass and aluminum containers?
E) Where the bottle deposit and comprehensive recycling programs given equal funding?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Last edited by SOURH7WK on 18 Aug 2012, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 03:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on beverage containers are necessary for environmental protection because they help to ensure that plastic and glass bottles as well as aluminum cans are recycled. This is, the advocates say, because the five-cent redemption programs provide a strong incentive to return the used containers to recycling facilities. However, a recent study found that states without a bottle deposit had more success in implementing comprehensive recycling programs, which include paper, plastics, and steel, in addition to the beverage containers, than did states with a bottle deposit law.

Which of the following, if true, would help explain the results of the study?

(A) Bottle deposit programs are increasingly unpopular in state legislatures and may soon be replaced with comprehensive recycling programs.
(B) The level of motivation for individual consumers to recycle materials other than beverage containers remains the same regardless of which program is used.
(C) Individuals have a greater financial incentive to actively recycle beverage cans and bottles if a bottle deposit program is in effect.
(D) Aluminum cans have so much value that when these cans are included in the comprehensive recycling program, instead of recycled separately, they pay for the costs of the entire program.
(E) There are more states with bottle-deposit programs than with comprehensive recycling programs.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Last edited by SOURH7WK on 18 Aug 2012, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 349 [3], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 04:23
This post received
KUDOS
D) Aluminum cans have so much value that when these cans are included in the comprehensive recycling program, instead of recycled separately, they pay for the costs of the entire program.correct
individual pay back on bottles doesn't lure people as much as the cost of entire program.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 349 [3], given: 75

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7609 [0], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 05:37
Critical thinking implies any program need to be profitable for sustainable continuance. It is known world universally that recycling is one of the profitable strategies. It is not enthusiasm that will be the mainstay of any project. Let us take this case; the passage says that there are states without deposit law, but still continuing to recycle beverages, along with many others. One might enthusiastic to start with any schemes, but would not bother a while later, if they were to lose money consistently. So I would reckon that the deposit law countries were losing in spite of the incentives on cans, sand hence they are lagging behind other countries.

A) Did any of the states surveyed lose revenue on the bottle deposit program? --looks like it is the best choice -it is all in the money, you see
B) Do the citizens of the states that were studied prefer five-cent redemption programs on beverage containers? …. Preference is irrelevant here.
C) When the five-cent deposit programs were implemented, were the citizens of the states that began programs as enthusiastic about recycling
as the citizens of the other states? ---- Initial enthusiasm is not a valid reason for project's sustenance
D) Did citizens of the states with and without bottle deposit programs purchase comparable numbers of beverages in plastic, glass and aluminum containers? --- does not take into account the other comprehensive recycling programs
E) were the bottle deposit and comprehensive recycling programs given equal funding? ------ funding cane compared on such wide ranging factors. Funding can be compared only between bottle recycling vs. bottle recycling and not with steel, paper or plastics. Irrelevant comparison

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 06:02
A program that has plenty of profit overall has the resilience to carry other less profitable projects associated with it. This is what is happening in Aluminum recycling. So, over a period, comprehensive programs that would include aluminum recycling, would sustain and win over bottle recycling programs that are run exclusively

A) Bottle deposit programs are increasingly unpopular in state legislatures and may soon be replaced with comprehensive recycling programs. ---state legislature is an unnecessary insinuation in the context.

B) The level of motivation for individual consumers to recycle materials other than beverage containers remains the same regardless of which program is used. ----does not help to resolve the paradox

C) Individuals have a greater financial incentive to actively recycle beverage cans and bottles if a bottle deposit program is in effect. --- If it were true, the finding turns irrelevant

D) Aluminum cans have so much value that when these cans are included in the comprehensive recycling program, instead of recycled separately; they pay for the costs of the entire program. --- Must be the reason, why comprehensive programs are over performing compared to stand-alone bottle recycling

E) There are more states with bottle-deposit programs than with comprehensive recycling programs. --- Contra to the professed findings of the study

D is the best

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 08:34
Spelling and grammar mistakes in both stimulus and answer choices. What's the source of this question?

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 08:53
Here's a link to the solution if you are interested.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/instructor-h ... 92121.html

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [2], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Dear daagh et al,

This question was authored by a Veritas Instructor; according to him the answer is C. Personally, I like to attempt only validly certified critical reasoning questions from GMAC or the LSAC, because I think many CR questions authored by non-psychometricians lack a certain je ne sais quoi.

Anyway, if you are still interested in answering this question, here's the link to the author's explanation:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/instructor-h ... 92121.html

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz

Kudos [?]: 76 [2], given: 6

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2014, 20:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 58

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 09:11
I don't understand the answer to this.
Nowhere is it mentioned that people will get money if they recycle.
In fact, the opposite can be understood. There is no program, so there is no reimbursement on recyclables.

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 58

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16269 [4], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2014, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
New Project - Reviving the hardest questions on GMAT Club. Kudos for every reply with an explanation in the first 24 hours!

Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on beverage containers are necessary for environmental protection because they help to ensure that plastic and glass bottles as well as aluminium cans are recycled. This is, the advocates say, because the five-cent redemption programs provide a strong incentive to return the used containers to recycling facilities. However, a recent study found that states without a bottle deposit had more success in implementing comprehensive recycling programs, which include paper, plastics, and steel, in addition to the beverage containers, than did states with a bottle deposit law.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in analyzing the significance of the study referenced above?

B) Do the citizens of the states that were studied prefer five-cent redemption programs on beverage containers?
C) When the five-cent deposit programs were implemented, were the citizens of the states that began programs as enthusiastic about recycling as the citizens of the other states?
D) Did citizens of the states with and without bottle deposit programs purchase comparable numbers of beverages in plastic, glass and aluminum containers?
E) Where the bottle deposit and comprehensive recycling programs given equal funding?

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16269 [4], given: 1953

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [1], given: 253

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2014, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:
New Project - Reviving the hardest questions on GMAT Club. Kudos for every reply with an explanation in the first 24 hours!

Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on beverage containers are necessary for environmental protection because they help to ensure that plastic and glass bottles as well as aluminium cans are recycled. This is, the advocates say, because the five-cent redemption programs provide a strong incentive to return the used containers to recycling facilities. However, a recent study found that states without a bottle deposit had more success in implementing comprehensive recycling programs, which include paper, plastics, and steel, in addition to the beverage containers, than did states with a bottle deposit law.

I think the correct Answer should be D . Here's why:

A) Did any of the states surveyed lose revenue on the bottle deposit program? Incorrect This is not relevant to evaluate the argument

B) Do the citizens of the states that were studied prefer five-cent redemption programs on beverage containers?Incorrect The preference of the citizens doesnt matter to the relevance of argument.

C) When the five-cent deposit programs were implemented, were the citizens of the states that began programs as enthusiastic about recycling as the citizens of the other states?Incorrect Enthusiasm of the citizens is not relevant here

D) Did citizens of the states with and without bottle deposit programs purchase comparable numbers of beverages in plastic, glass and aluminum containers?Correct If we take this choice to extremes that no of containers were not same then it weakens the conclusion that recycling programs for states which did not implement five cent program were more successful , on the other hand if the number were same then it strengthens the argument that yes states without 5 cent program were more successful.

E) Were the bottle deposit and comprehensive recycling programs given equal funding? Incorrect Funding is not relevant here.

Thanks
AK
Please press Kudos for the encouragement :-D

Kudos [?]: 59 [1], given: 253

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 886

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 05:00
Can someone post the answer to this question.
It seems that none of the choices match the answer.

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 886

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 806 [1], given: 30

Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE: Science (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
:Analysis:

State X: On beverage (plastic, glass and aluminum) containers consumer need to submit 5 cents as per law
: The 5 cents can be returned to get back their hard earned money back

State O (Others): Have no such program as state X

Effectiveness of recycling program (Paper + Plastic + Steel + Beverages waste):

State O > State X

Pre thinking:

So what could be most critical possibilities to analyses this argument. I though of following possibilities:

(a) There could be less amount of recyclable waste in state O

(b) There could be high amount of recyclable waste (other than beverages), which could be managed in much better way

(C) Citizens of state O are actually more environmental friendly and hence willing to participate in recycling irrespective of the financial incentives

Hmn...So choice C is looking good for me.

Moreover earlier I got confused with (D) but comparable purchases does not necessarily mean that it will generate similar proportion of waste. Or we can not derive any correlation what so ever.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by WillGetIt on 06 Feb 2015, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 806 [1], given: 30

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16269 [0], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 12:04

Kudos [?]: 16269 [0], given: 1953

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 66

Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS

We require a question that will supply us an answer that will help us figure out why the states without a bottle deposit had more success in implementing comprehensive recycling programs.

Revenue is irrelevant to the implementation of the recycling programs.

We only care about why the states that did have a bottle deposit were not recycling as much as the states without the bottle deposits.

States who are enthusiastic about recycling and don't have bottle deposits may recycle more than states who don't like to recycle but have a bottle deposit program.

The success isn't measured by the quantity of recyclables but by the rate of beverage containers that become recycled.

Irrelevant comparison. The bottle deposit and comprehensive recycling programs are not the same and thus can not be compared.

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 66

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2014, 05:02
souvik101990 wrote:

Answer should be C, imo.

What I did was, focused on the question stem. It says, most useful in analyzing the significance of the study referenced above. So now I know what I'm looking for in the argument (this argument is very, very dense!)

A - Irrelevant. We are not concerned whether any states lost any revenue. If 1 of the states loses revenue and the others don't, this won't align with the argument.
B - Irrelevant. Citizens' preference is not in question.
C - Sort of relevant. If the citizens were less enthusiastic about the bottle deposit law/program, the number of people using the program would be fewer. Hence, the program wouldn't be as successful.
D - Irrelevant. Comparable number isn't an indication.
E - Same as above.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 806 [0], given: 30

Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE: Science (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2014, 06:09
After thorough analysis I think it is (C).

Looking for expert replies.

Last edited by WillGetIt on 06 Feb 2015, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 806 [0], given: 30

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Schools: Katz '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2015, 06:56
It should be C

If the citizens of the states that began programs were as enthusiastic about recycling as the citizens of the other states (where recycling was successful without this program) - Then the states were this bottle program was implemented would have achieved the intended recycling objective without this program - then no need of program.

If these citizens were not as enthusiastic about recycling as the citizens of the other states - then bottle program did wonders.

So if as enthusiastic - then there is no role that bottle program played
and if not as enthusiastic - then bottle program played a vital role.

So C is the Evaluation point and most useful if analyzing whether bottle program was responsible or otherwise people were already enthusiastic.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 09:15
souvik101990 wrote:

Here we are told that comprehensive recycling program was more successful than five cent redemption.
Whether citizens were enthusiastic or not about five cent deposit program does not matter about bcz ultimately it was not successful.
In d,if the basis of comparison is not just then argument will certainly fail.(variance test)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 49

Re: Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2015, 09:15

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 33 posts ]