It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 23:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an efficient method

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Schools: Booth '15
CAT Tests
Re: Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an efficient method [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2012, 08:01
I guess the reason is, if you have health savings account and do not use it is same as not having health saving account. So, people how have health saving and don use it are same as poor people who do not have health savings account. Thus, some people are likely to get diseases irrespective of their health care account. The conclusion says thet wider use of these accounts are same as not having those accounts!!
:)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Re: Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an efficient method [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2012, 09:40
Got this one wrong. Went with C. Going through the previous explanations, I realized my mistake was in assuming that many cases = most diseases.

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2012, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
maverick05 wrote:
Is C wrong because of the difference between "many" and "most"? If yes, then can someone please explain the distinction?

Yes, C is wrong because of the distinction between many and most. You already seem to know the distinction.
"Many" means a lot, "most" means a large percentage, or the overwhelming majority.

Many people in the world live in the USA (because 300 million do) - that is a lot, a large number.
However, most people in the world do not live in the USA.

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 0

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line

Kudos [?]: 671 [0], given: 70

GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2013, 13:16
Missed it...C is Assumption .....ahh
Actually, there are two reasons given for the cause...the second is present in a rephrased form in option D.....
Easy question but difficult in time constrain..

Archit

Kudos [?]: 671 [0], given: 70

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 22

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-17-2013
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 04:42
gmatnub wrote:
Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an efficient method to reduce medical expenses. However, widespread adoption of these accounts will soon undermine the public’s health. One reason for this is that most people will be reluctant to deplete their accounts to pay for regular preventive examinations, so that in many cases a serious illness will go undetected until it is far advanced. Another reason is that poor people, who will not be able to afford health savings accounts, will no longer receive vaccinations against infectious diseases.

The statements above, if true, most support which of the following?

(A) Wealthy individuals will not be affected negatively by health savings accounts.
This ans choice just talks about one segment of the people (Healthy People), however the argument is about normal people. So wrong answer choice
(B) Private health insurance will no longer be available.
Argument starts with health savings accounts are efficient but later contradicts it with reasoning that it may not be that efficient because of 2 reasons aforementioned. Authors does not specify any where that other methods will not be available to general public
(C) Most diseases are detected during regular preventive examinations.
Extreme answer choice as it says that most disease are detected but the argument says most people will be reluctant to pay for regular examinations
(D) Some people without health savings accounts are likely to contract infectious diseases.
Last premise says that poor people will not receive vaccinations against infectious disease so it can be inferred that these poor people are likely to contract infections
(E) The causal relationship between an individual’s health and that person’s medical care has been adequately documented.

Answer choice [E] - Documents are not mentioned anywhere so can't be sure if it must be true based on the facts available. Information can me maintained using computers also

Thanks & Regards
Yodee

‘A good plan violently executed now is better than a
perfect plan executed next week.’

- General Georg S. Patton

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 06:41
Hi,

Need expert's attention:

The conclusion states that widespread adoption will undermine public health. However, how is the 2nd premise(poor people not being able to afford health savings accounts related to the conclusion? Not being able to afford is the opposite of adoption.

I would have been convinced if the conclusion stated that widespread dependence(instead of adoption) on health savings accounts will undermine public health.

Look forward to some explanation.

Regards

Argha

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 4

Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 10:51
Hi Argha,

Interesting question you raise, and not sure if I qualify as expert, but this is what I think:

The key is that widespread does not mean all

The second premise (about the poor people being unable to afford vacinations) is still valid, because as more (wealthy) people pay into their own savings accounts, rather than the alternative (public health care), then there is less money to cover the poor.

So many people taking up (widespread) will affect those unable to pay themselves.

So it all works...

Does that make sense...

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 18:49
Hi plumber250,

Thanks for the response.

I will not like to stretch it too far.

However, my objection still remains valid. Wealthy people paying into their own savings accounts, rather than the alternative (public health care) thereby making it less difficult to cover the poor(then there is less money to cover the poor) seems too far fetched and out of scope(strictly IMO).

Regards

Argha

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2013, 10:08
Experts, how do u rate this question.

I find some ambiguity between C and D.
no doubt D is IMO, still C sounds very close and not wrong. Can we expect such questions in actual GMAT?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2013, 20:18
Quote:
Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an efficient method to reduce medical expenses. However, widespread adoption of these accounts will soon undermine the public’s health. One reason for this is that most people will be reluctant to deplete their accounts to pay for regular preventive examinations, so that in many cases a serious illness will go undetected until it is far advanced. Another reason is that poor people, who will not be able to afford health savings accounts, will no longer receive vaccinations against infectious diseases.

Type: inference

Claim (later disputed): Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an efficient method to reduce medical expenses.
Conclusion: Widespread adoption of these accounts will soon undermine the public’s health.
Premise 1: Most people will be reluctant to deplete their accounts to pay for regular preventive examinations, so that in many cases a serious illness will go undetected until it is far advanced.
Premise 2: Poor people, who will not be able to afford health savings accounts, will no longer receive vaccinations against infectious diseases.

(A) Wealthy individuals will not be affected negatively by health savings accounts.
(D) Some people without health savings accounts are likely to contract infectious diseases.
(E) The causal relationship between an individual’s health and that person’s medical care has been adequately documented.

I chose D because it is supported by the argument, which states: "Either because they will not want to use their account, or they cannot afford it, many people will not take preventative exams or vaccinations. Both preventative exams and vaccinations help stop illnesses from occurring. Thus, public health is undermined."

Most people seem torn between C and D.

I believe C is incorrect because it is making an unwarranted assumption, like many before me have stated -- nothing in the argument tells us that most diseases are detected during preventative examinations, just that many serious illnesses may go undetected. Even if C said "most serious illnesses are detected during exams", it would still be an assumption.

argha wrote:
The conclusion states that widespread adoption will undermine public health. However, how is the 2nd premise(poor people not being able to afford health savings accounts related to the conclusion? Not being able to afford is the opposite of adoption. I would have been convinced if the conclusion stated that widespread dependence(instead of adoption) on health savings accounts will undermine public health. Look forward to some explanation...
However, my objection still remains valid. Wealthy people paying into their own savings accounts, rather than the alternative (public health care) thereby making it less difficult to cover the poor(then there is less money to cover the poor) seems too far fetched and out of scope(strictly IMO).

If you don't mind me commenting: I agree with you. We cannot infer about what wealthy people are doing and how that affects others. Nothing in the argument sheds light on this.

The argument is just saying "adoption" to mean that many places will now use this type of health provision, and thus, people will end up using it. I don't think it means to say that people will be adopting it, as if they are choosing to; just that it will be adopted, and many people will end up having to use it -- we must accept that people are using the account (regardless of adoption or dependance), simply because this is given in the argument.

The 2nd premise is used to support the conclusion to say that if this account is adopted, then poor people will not be able to afford it, and thus, cannot pay for vaccinations -- if they cannot be vaccinated, they are more susceptible to disease, and thus, public health has been undermined in this way. Why poor people cannot afford it is not stated; all we know is that many people will have trouble financing medical procedures based on the way this account works. Hope that clears things up!

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 184 [1], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
gmatnub wrote:

Between C and D. C is wrong because it is said a serious illness will go undetected without preventive exams, it does not necessarily infer that most diseases ( regular not serious illness) will be detected during those exams. Causation: not A --> not B , we cannot assume A --> B

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 184 [1], given: 148

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 21

GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 06:42
The correct ans - D
Note - Whenever a Question ask for a conclusion that follows from the argument ( note that the correct answer choice will follow 100% from the argument)
C is a TRAP -Most diseases are detected during regular preventive examinations.
(Reason. ......MOST people will be reluctant to .... so that in many cases A serious ILLNESS) & NOT most serious illness -that's why C is wrong.
D - correct ( Some people without health savings accounts are likely to contract infectious diseases.)
100% follows from the argument - Another reason is that poor people, who will not be able to afford health savings accounts, will no longer receive vaccinations against infectious diseases.

hope its clear now - press K .. if u wish to

urban hermit

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 21

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18042 [1], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 01:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. Wealthy individuals will not be affected negatively by health savings accounts.
B. Private health insurance will no longer be available.
C. Most diseases are detected during regular preventive examinations.
D. Some people without health savings accounts are likely to contract infectious diseases.
E. The causal relationship between an individual’s health and that person’s medical care has been adequately documented.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
The passage states that health savings accounts will undermine the health of the
public because people will not use them for preventive care. Furthermore, people
who cannot afford them will not be able to receive even basic care such as
vaccinations. The correct answer will be a conclusion that can be supported
solely by the facts stated in the argument, without relying on outside information
or additional assumptions.
(A) The argument does not provide enough information to conclude that wealthy
individuals will not be affected negatively by health savings accounts. The
argument never specifically mentions wealthy individuals, just people in general.
(B) The argument does not provide enough information to conclude that private
health insurance will no longer be available. In fact, private health insurance is
never mentioned.
(C) The author argues that people will not get regular preventive examinations,
and will therefore not receive medical attention until diseases are advanced. This
logic, even if true, does not allow us to conclude that most diseases are detected
during regular preventive examinations.
(D) CORRECT. The argument states that "poor people, who will not be able to
afford health savings accounts, will no longer receive vaccinations". Based on
this statement, it is reasonable to conclude that some people without health
savings are likely to contract infectious diseases.
(E) The argument does not provide enough information to conclude that the
causal relationship between an individual's health and that person’s medical care
has been adequately documented. In fact, neither the link between medical care
and health nor documentation of such a link is directly discussed.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18042 [1], given: 1990

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 7

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 01:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. Wealthy individuals will not be affected negatively by health savings accounts.
B. Private health insurance will no longer be available.
C. Most diseases are detected during regular preventive examinations.
D. Some people without health savings accounts are likely to contract infectious diseases.
E. The causal relationship between an individual’s health and that person’s medical care has been adequately documented.

Most support is indicating of inference question, something that must be true from the given passage
A> No mention of wealthy individuals. So out of scope answer
B> Cannot comment on private health insurance as no information is given about it. So out of scope answer.
C> Most diseases are detected during regular preventive examination.
Mentioned that in many cases a serious illness wil go undetected until it is far advanced. Many cases doesnot justifies the statement related to most diseases, hence this option is discarded.
D>Some people without health savings accounts are likely to contract infectious disease.
Mentioned that poor people, who will not be able to afford health savings accounts will no longer receive vaccinations against infectious disease.
States that poor people will not be able to afford health savings account==>> hence not receive vaccinations against infectious disease==>> likely to contract infectious disease
Correct
E>The casual relationship has been properly documented: This cannot be verified through the information present in the passage

AD

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 719 [1], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 04:56
This post received
KUDOS
Only D can be inferred from the premise provided.

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 719 [1], given: 80

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18042 [0], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 07:05

Kudos [?]: 18042 [0], given: 1990

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2015, 20:26
Only D can be inferred from the above; Only D can be true if the given argument were true.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2015, 20:27
Only D can be inferred from the above; Only D can be true if the given argument were true.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 06:04
Opted C, because of pre-occupied mind, D clearly wins. C is kind of opposite what is mentioned in the argument. :(

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 594 [0], given: 1474

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 10:51
OA:

The passage states that health savings accounts will undermine the health of the public because people will not use them for preventive care. Furthermore, people who cannot afford them will not be able to receive even basic care such as vaccinations. The correct answer will be a conclusion that can be supported solely by the facts stated in the argument, without relying on outside information or additional assumptions.

(A) The argument does not provide enough information to conclude that wealthy individuals will not be affected negatively by health savings accounts. The argument never specifically mentions wealthy individuals, just people in general.

(B) The argument does not provide enough information to conclude that private health insurance will no longer be available. In fact, private health insurance is never mentioned.

(C) The author argues that people will not get regular preventive examinations, and will therefore not receive medical attention until diseases are advanced. This logic, even if true, does not allow us to conclude that most diseases are detected during regular preventive examinations.

(D) CORRECT. The argument states that "poor people, who will not be able to afford health savings accounts, will no longer receive vaccinations". Based on this statement, it is reasonable to conclude that some people without health savings are likely to contract infectious diseases.

(E) The argument does not provide enough information to conclude that the causal relationship between an individual's health and that person’s medical care has been adequately documented. In fact, neither the link between medical care and health nor documentation of such a link is directly discussed.

KUDO me plenty

Kudos [?]: 594 [0], given: 1474

Re: Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an efficient method   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2015, 10:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 70 posts ] 

Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an efficient method

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap