It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 13:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

After all the recent political changes, the Syrians are figu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: After all the recent political changes, the Syrians are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 22:54
Mechmeera wrote:
B. to one another and to the city in which they have always lived without quite fully owning – figuring out how to create that city for themselves, both politically and socially, with bricks and mortar.
same errors as in A repeats here.

C. to one another and to the city they have always lived in without quite fully owning – figuring out how to create that city for themselves, politically and socially, as well as with bricks and mortar.

Can someone explain me whether it is wrong to use
in which they have always lived instead of they have always lived in.
As I felt they cannot modify city and in which will do so correctly.

IMHO, both the usages are correct.
1) I think there is nothing wrong in '...to the city in which they have always lived'. And B is wrong for different reasons.

2) '...to the city they have always lived in' is also correct. 'They' is correctly referring to Syrians and not to the city.
Take a look at this:
Jack loves the city Jack lives in. = Jack loves the city he lives in. (as there's just one subject Jack, there is no ambiguity as to what 'He' refers to)

Hope this makes sense. Please correct me if im wrong.

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 142

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 241

Re: #Top150 SC: After all the recent political changes, the Syrians are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 06:13
Answer is C.

Each other refers to two people, whereas one another refers to a group. Therefore A and D are eliminated.

E is eliminated because of the usage of "them" after the hyphen, rather than the plural reflexive pronoun "themselves".

D is eliminated because the phrase after the hyphen suggests that Syrians are creating a city, both politically and socially, with (or using) bricks and mortars, which is illogical

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 241

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Re: After all the recent political changes, the Syrians are figu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 02:23
Hello,

Can some please clarify the difference between choices A and C ?

I have a doubt about the modifier 'as well as bricks and mortar'. I am not sure how on the basis of this modifier we can rule out A.

Please explain.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
After all the recent political changes, the Syrians are figu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 07:28
I have an issue with parallelism here. How can "....with bricks and mortar" be parallel to politically and socially, both of which are are adverbs? The 'with' should have been placed earlier in the sentence as well to form a parallel structure.

Please share your thoughts experts. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

After all the recent political changes, the Syrians are figu   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2017, 07:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

After all the recent political changes, the Syrians are figu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap