Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
Re: After more than four decades of research and development, a new type o [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
semwal wrote:
incorrect portions highlighted.......

A. tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help

TO ME .....THE PORTION......."TESTED THAT COULD EVENTUALLY PROPEL" ......APPEARED AMBIGUOUS ....WHAT COULD " THAT" MEAN.....ie WHAT COULD PROPEL.....THAT SHOULD FOLLOW IMMEDIATELY AFTER WHAT IT MODIFIES....

I totally agree, and I find that structure to be awkward and illogical. The following alternative structures are better.

After more than four decades of research and development, being tested is a new type of jet engine that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit is being tested.

Regardless of whether one could debate that the structure is OK, GMAC should not have used such an illogical, awkward, unfamiliar, and debatably incorrect structure in an OA. The question should have been edited or thrown out.

The structure of the first sentence (in blue) seems illogical to me. Can you please explain the use of "being" in this context and the structure of the sentence?

An introductory prepositional phrase only needs to refer to the main clause, but wouldn't the subject [a new type of jet engine] provide better clarity than "being tested..."?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type o [#permalink]
Hi GMATGuruNY - In E - You mention the usage of comma + and is wrong on another website (screenshot below) - link to post

Specifically you mention the stuff highlighted in yellow was why COMMA + AND is wrong

The usage of comma + and is used to connect two independent clauses that are different but somewhat related. per my understanding.

I dont believe the 2nd clause after comma + and -- HAS TO LOGICALLY FLOW from the 1st clause (that is the case for -- COMMA + VERB'ing, thats when the 2nd clause HAS TO FLOW from the 1st clause)

The two independent clauses (on opposite sides of comma + and) -- just have to be RELATED to each other.

A simple example below
Attachments

comma + and 3.JPG
comma + and 3.JPG [ 57.32 KiB | Viewed 1708 times ]

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 14 Feb 2022, 10:46.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 14 Feb 2022, 11:50, edited 21 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type o [#permalink]
Source - made up

Quote:
(i) I bought a Mercedes, and It is green in color

(i) both independent clauses are 'related to each other' (talking about Mercedes) -- hence, i thought the usage of comma + and is good

By your definition, this would be wrong beause the 2nd clause DON'T FLOW from the 1st clause

Quote:
(ii) John likes to sing, and Alex loves to dance.

(ii) both independent clauses are 'related to each other' (Entertainment genre) -- hence, the usage of comma + and is good

By your definition, this would be wrong beause the 2nd clause DON'T FLOW from the 1st clause

Quote:
(iii) I I bought a Mercedes, and Sam love KFC

(iii) is NOT okay because the 2 independent clauses are NOT 'related to each other' in any meaningful way. Hence usage of comma + and is WRONG

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 14 Feb 2022, 11:43.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 14 Feb 2022, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: After more than four decades of research and development, a new type o [#permalink]
Hello, how could relative pronoun that refer to the far away noun jet engine?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
mdbajaj wrote:

"that" very regularly modifies "far away nouns" on GMAT. There are numerous official sentences that do this.

For example:

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological responses.
- Notice that "that" modifies far away noun "emotional reactions".

However, what makes the current sentence ("Jet engine..") unique is that "that" modifies a noun even before the verb ("is")! This is not at all common, but the fact that this is an official sentence, tells us that this is an acceptable construct.

Remember that nothing can be gained by questioning official sentences; there are only lessons to be learnt :) .

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses modifier issues of "which", their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
mdbajaj wrote:

Hello mdbajaj,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "that" does not follow the same rule as the "comma + which" construction; "that" can very well refer to a noun or noun phrase that is not next to it.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
VP
VP
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
it is generally my practice not to comment on made-up sentences.
That said:

jabhatta2 wrote:
Source - made up

Quote:
(i) I bought a Mercedes, and It is green in color

A sentence in a book is provided context by the other sentences in the book.
An SC on the GMAT is different.
Because there is no context, it must offer -- all on its own - a self-contained story.

I bought a Mercedes, and it is green.
This sentence would not constitute a viable SC on the GMAT.
The story feels incomplete.
Why is the writer connecting the purchase of the car to the color of the car?
A reader has no idea.
Now consider the following:
I have always loved the colors of spring.
Yesterday I bought a car, and it is green.
Whenever I look at the car, I think of spring.

Now, a reader understands why the purchase of the car is connected to the car's color: the greenness of the car reminds the writer of springtime.

E: A new type of jet engine is being tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours.
Here, the story is incomplete.
According to the first clause, the engine is new and only now being tested.
Why is this lack of testing data connected to such an amazing capability -- the ability to propel aircraft anywhere in the world in two hours?
A reader has no idea.
While E might work as part of a newspaper article in which the other sentences can provide context, it does not constitute a viable SC.

Hi GMATGuruNY - would you agree -- the rule that the 2nd clause having to logically follow from / having to connect to the 1st clause is a bit 'subjective'. Its not as cut and dry. Maybe it looks un-related to one reader but perhaps to another reader -- it looks related

For example - regarding your question in the yellow
  • I dont see any indication of lack of testing data
  • I see the connection this way -- The Jet engine is being Tested TO CONFIRM if the engine can eventually have such an amazing capability
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
would you agree -- the rule that the 2nd clause having to logically follow from / having to connect to the 1st clause is a bit 'subjective'. Its not as cut and dry. Maybe it looks un-related to one reader but perhaps to another reader -- it looks related

• I see the connection this way -- The Jet engine is being Tested TO CONFIRM if the engine can eventually have such an amazing capability

Since the engine is of a NEW TYPE that is currently BEING TESTED, the capability of the engine seems unknown.
I cannot envision any circumstance under which the GMAT would use and to connect to the first clause to the second.
VP
VP
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
would you agree -- the rule that the 2nd clause having to logically follow from / having to connect to the 1st clause is a bit 'subjective'. Its not as cut and dry. Maybe it looks un-related to one reader but perhaps to another reader -- it looks related

Since the engine is of a NEW TYPE that is currently BEING TESTED, the capability of the engine seems unknown.
I cannot envision any circumstance under which the GMAT would use and to connect to the first clause to the second.

interesting GMATGuruNY - you mention the capability of this new engine is unknown.

the piece prior to the underline indicates the capability has been already developed over 40 years, no ?

Now that all the amazing capabilities have been developed (over 40 years) --- the testing phase is going on

Quote:
option E)
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
on gmat, we frequently meet a case in which the correct answer is a strange pattern and other choice contain clear error. we can eliminate the choices with clear error and face the remaining choice which is strange. learn to take the strange choice because we have no reason to eliminate it. it is great if we know the strange pattern but not to remember it.

choice b,c and d contain clear error. they contain unparallel items. choice e contain unidiomatic "capability to do" . it should be capability of doing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

(A) tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help
-> Correct. "that" modify the jet engine. could propel...or help...-> perfectly parallel
(B) tested that could eventually have the capability of propelling aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or to help
-> redundancy + parallel error
(C) tested, eventually able to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours, or helping
-> parallel error
(D) tested, and it eventually could propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or helping
-> parallel error
(E) tested, and it could eventually have the capability to propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help[/quote]
-> redundancy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I thought that if we have verbs help or start and verb right after it then it should be 'ing' so for example here it would be help boosting. Given that this is correct, I assume that it's not a case that we always need to have 'ing' after this verb. Am I right?

If I'm right, could you please send me a list of verbs after which we have 'ing' verb?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Piotrek wrote:
I thought that if we have verbs help or start and verb right after it then it should be 'ing' so for example here it would be help boosting. Given that this is correct, I assume that it's not a case that we always need to have 'ing' after this verb. Am I right?

If I'm right, could you please send me a list of verbs after which we have 'ing' verb?

Hello Piotrek,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, yes; there is no rule that the verb "help" must be followed by the "verb+ing" form; here, "help" is followed by the base form of the verb "boost" because it is part of the simple future tense verb phrase "could...help boost".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 240
Send PM
Hi experts!
the "that" comes after tested but modifies the engine, how it is possible?
i thought "that" always modifies the closest word to the right
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
MayaK

You'll find that "always" is not much of a thing in Sentence Correction. Noun modifiers, including phrases that begin with WHICH or THAT, tend to modify the adjoining noun. Occasionally, if the meaning is clear enough, the GMAT will allow an intervening modifier or verb. We just don't want something like "My mom reads a lot of books, who is curious about the world."
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts