GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1492
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 03:47
what is the source of this question?
C is right b/c of " previously".
I do not think this question belongs to one of official questions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 08:08
nitya34 wrote:
16. After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot cycle of the Sun for 36 years, scientists have found that high levels of sunspot activity precede shifts in wind patterns that affect the Earth’s weather. One can conclude that meteorologists will be able to improve their weather forecasts based on this information.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) Weather forecasts are more detailed today than they were 36 years ago.
(B) Scientists can establish that sunspot activity directly affects the Earth’s weather.
(C) Evidence other than sunspot activity has previously enabled meteorologists to forecast the weather conditions that are predictable on the basis of sunspot activity.
(D) Scientists have not determined why the sunspot activity on the Sun follows an 11-year cycle.
(E) It has been established that predictable wind patterns yield predictable weather patterns.


IMO Option C is a right answer given that the last part of the sentence which states "on the basis of sunspot activity" is removed.
Essentially answer option C is ambiguous the reason being we cannot definitely ascertain whether the evidences are predictable basis the sunspot activity or the forecast is predictable basis the sunspot activity.

So kindly provide explanation to this.
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 22 May 2018
Posts: 49
CAT Tests
Re: After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 22:39
Quote:
After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot cycle of the Sun for 36 years, scientists have found that high levels of sunspot activity precede shifts in wind patterns that affect the Earth’s weather. One can conclude that meteorologists will be able to improve their weather forecasts based on this information.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?


Conclusion: Meteorologists will be able to improve their weather forecasts based on weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot cycle of the Sun.

Quote:
(A) Weather forecasts are more detailed today than they were 36 years ago.

Out of scope. Nothing about improvement of weather forecasts.

Quote:
(B) Scientists can establish that sunspot activity directly affects the Earth’s weather.

Scientist's establishment does not matter. Out of scope.

Quote:
(C) Evidence other than sunspot activity has previously enabled meteorologists to forecast the weather conditions that are predictable on the basis of sunspot activity.

This is directly countering the conclusion. Correct.

Quote:
(D) Scientists have not determined why the sunspot activity on the Sun follows an 11-year cycle.

Reason for sun's 11-year cycle is immaterial.

Quote:
(E) It has been established that predictable wind patterns yield predictable weather patterns.

This options gives no relation between weather forecasts and wind patterns/Sun cycles.
_________________
Kudos if you liked my post. Please help me reach next level.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Posts: 223
Re: After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 16:26
nitya34 wrote:
16. After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot cycle of the Sun for 36 years, scientists have found that high levels of sunspot activity precede shifts in wind patterns that affect the Earth’s weather. One can conclude that meteorologists will be able to improve their weather forecasts based on this information.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) Weather forecasts are more detailed today than they were 36 years ago.
(B) Scientists can establish that sunspot activity directly affects the Earth’s weather.
(C) Evidence other than sunspot activity has previously enabled meteorologists to forecast the weather conditions that are predictable on the basis of sunspot activity.
(D) Scientists have not determined why the sunspot activity on the Sun follows an 11-year cycle.
(E) It has been established that predictable wind patterns yield predictable weather patterns.


GMATNinja VeritasKarishma generis
I do not find the option C convincing enough....

Although there are evidences other than sunspot activity that have previously enabled meteorologists to forecast the weather conditions that are predictable on the basis of sunspot activity ,
information about the sunspot activity can improve the weather forecasts .
I dont find option C a weakener....

Can you please throw some light VeritasKarishma generis GMATNinja ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Posts: 143
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 13:28
sayan640 wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
16. After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot cycle of the Sun for 36 years, scientists have found that high levels of sunspot activity precede shifts in wind patterns that affect the Earth’s weather. One can conclude that meteorologists will be able to improve their weather forecasts based on this information.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) Weather forecasts are more detailed today than they were 36 years ago.
(B) Scientists can establish that sunspot activity directly affects the Earth’s weather.
(C) Evidence other than sunspot activity has previously enabled meteorologists to forecast the weather conditions that are predictable on the basis of sunspot activity.
(D) Scientists have not determined why the sunspot activity on the Sun follows an 11-year cycle.
(E) It has been established that predictable wind patterns yield predictable weather patterns.


GMATNinja VeritasKarishma generis
I do not find the option C convincing enough....

Although there are evidences other than sunspot activity that have previously enabled meteorologists to forecast the weather conditions that are predictable on the basis of sunspot activity ,
information about the sunspot activity can improve the weather forecasts .
I dont find option C a weakener....

Can you please throw some light VeritasKarishma generis GMATNinja ?


In a nutshell, C says that in the PAST meteorologists used some other indicators/source to collect data in order to predict weather and that this NEW finding will provide the same information to predict weather. So it means that nothing will change, and thus meteorologists will not be able to improve their predictions, which will be based on the same but from a different source.

I hope this helps
GMAT Club Bot
Re: After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot   [#permalink] 26 May 2019, 13:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

After observing the Earth’s weather patterns and the 11-year sunspot

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne