Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [64]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [2]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 318
Send PM
Re: After observing thirty-year-old albatrosses, biologists determined tha [#permalink]
Kudos
Was between C and E.

I chose C

E goes too far in saying that the lifespan of other fledglings is more important to albatrosses after their first molting than it is after thirty years.

We cannot infer that the lifespan was important or not. It was just directly related to the migration distance of albatrosses after thirty years.

Maybe the bird doesn't want to migrate and wants to relax :lol:

I hope its clear

Thank you
Arunabh saxena
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: After observing thirty-year-old albatrosses, biologists determined tha [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I select option C. I followed option elimination only to arrive at my choice. A can't be inferred from the argument as nothing was mentioned about molding before or after maturity. Choice B seemed close however it is confusing as it relates migrations distance of albatrosses to the migration distance of fledlings but the finding was about fellow fledlings. Option D & E are irrelevant. So it is C for me.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 : Can you use this question, as question of the day. its a hard level question and official too. thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 211
Send PM
Can an expert please post the OE of this question pls. Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [0]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
aaba wrote:
After observing thirty-year-old albatrosses, biologists determined that migration distance in mature albatrosses is directly tied to the lifespan of other fledglings in their brood. Albatrosses that hatched alone or whose fellow fledglings did not survive after their first molting were observed to follow shorter migration paths after thirty years than those that had been accompanied by one or more other fledglings.

If the biologists' determination is accurate, it follows that

A a few albatrosses who molted before maturity are capable of migrating further after thirty years as a result

B the migration distance of thirty-year-old albatrosses is connected to the migration distance of other fledglings

C it is the survival of other fledglings rather than just the birth of those fledglings that more directly affects the migration distance of albatrosses after thirty years

D albatrosses that migrated long distances after their first molting are more likely to migrate long distances after thirty years as well

E the lifespan of other fledglings is more important to albatrosses after their first molting than it is after thirty years

The last sentence says " Albatrosses that hatched alone or whose fellow fledglings did not survive after their first molting were observed to follow shorter migration paths after thirty years than those that had been accompanied by one or more other fledglings.".

Option C echoes the same...and hence it's the answer.

Nothing has been mentioned about option E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [3]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
This question has similar framework to another official question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/researchers- ... 81016.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
how are we able to infer that survival rather than birth affects migration distance "more directly"?

Thanks!:)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo please could you help me understand why (E) is incorrect while (C) is
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Dear Experts,

Albatrosses that hatched alone or whose fellow fledgelings did not survive after their first moulting were observed to follow shorter migration paths after thirty years than those that had been accompanied by one or more other fledgelings.

C it is the survival of other fledgelings rather than just the birth of those fledgelings that more directly affects the migration distance of albatrosses after thirty years

How can we infer that the survival of fledgelings has more effect than its birth? I can't find any comparison in the given passage.

Please help. Thanks in advance :)
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
GMATNinja sir VeritasKarishma mam nightblade354 sir generis sir Please guide for this question, how are we able to infer that survival rather than birth affects migration distance "more directly"?

Please explain POE for this question
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
After observing thirty-year-old albatrosses, biologists determined tha [#permalink]
VeritasPrepHailey mam please guide for this question with POE
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [3]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
After observing thirty-year-old albatrosses, biologists determined that migration distance in mature albatrosses is directly tied to the lifespan of other fledglings in their brood. Albatrosses that hatched alone or whose fellow fledglings did not survive after their first molting were observed to follow shorter migration paths after thirty years than those that had been accompanied by one or more other fledglings.

C: biologists determined that migration distance in mature albatrosses is directly tied to the lifespan of other fledglings in their brood
P: Albatrosses that hatched alone or whose fellow fledglings did not survive after their first molting were observed to follow shorter migration paths after thirty years than those that had been accompanied by one or more other fledglings

Simple argument: Because the birds we observed with less siblings took shorter migrations paths after 30 years, therefore we can determine that distance is tied to lifespan of their siblings. So many assumptions being made, chiefly that correlation is causation, but we are not trying to weaken the argument. We simply need to know the facts, so don't overthink the question!

If the biologists' determination is accurate, it follows that

A. a few albatrosses who molted before maturity are capable of migrating further after thirty years as a result -- What does pre-maturity have to do with the argument? This is a set of the species that we never discussed. Out.

B. the migration distance of thirty-year-old albatrosses is connected to the migration distance of other fledglings -- We have to be careful with this answer. We would be attributing the cause to a different catalyst. We would be saying that distance is caused by birds following others and not because of age. And this is, of course, not supported by the argument.

C. it is the survival of other fledglings rather than just the birth of those fledglings that more directly affects the migration distance of albatrosses after thirty years -- Perfect answer. Per the conclusion, there is a direct link between mortality of siblings and flight distance. We are never told about the number of siblings (so long as there is at least one), but we are told that the older they live, the further they fly. We do not know if quantity is the issue. We are just told quality is what determines distance.

D. albatrosses that migrated long distances after their first molting are more likely to migrate long distances after thirty years as well -- How do we know this? We only know about 30 year old birds. Maybe they didn't. Maybe every other year the birds travel far, but on the off years they travel a short distance. We just don't know about the past travel distances compared to the birds that they are describing in the argument.

E. the lifespan of other fledglings is more important to albatrosses after their first molting than it is after thirty years -- OK, but what does this have to do with our argument about distance? This just says there is a connection, but one that fades over time. We have no idea if this is true, per our argument.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos