GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologis

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2013, 23:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (02:08) correct 66% (02:14) wrong based on 517 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they will feel less satisfied with their lives.

A. After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they will
B. After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believe that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they would
C. Psychologists, having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, claimed that the majority of parents believed that they will probably be happier without children although many stated that they would
D. Having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children; nevertheless, many stated that they would
E. Upon reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many state that they would

Could someone explain the official answer and why its correct.
It seemed to me that the answer choice A was also correct.

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Premium Member
Re: After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 01:32
Hi akhil911

Let me try to help.

First of all,the rules of reporting sentence are:

Present + Would ==> WRONG
Past + Will ==> WRONG
Past + Present ==> WRONG

Present + will ==> CORRECT
Past + Would ==> CORRECT

For example:
I believed I will pass the test <== Wrong.
I think I would pass the test <== Wrong.
I thought I would pass the test <== Correct.

Let apply to your question.
After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they will feel less satisfied with their lives.

A. After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they will
Wrong. Past + will <== wrong.

B. After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believe that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they would
Wrong. Present + would <== wrong.

C. Psychologists, having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, claimed that the majority of parents believed that they will probably be happier without children although many stated that they would
Wrong. Past + will <== wrong.

D. Having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children; nevertheless, many stated that they would
Correct.

E. Upon reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children although many state that they would
Wrong. Present + would <== wrong.

Hope it's clear now.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

General Discussion
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 04:13
@pqhai

Hi
two things I like about you. First, your display pic. "you never fail until you stop trying", and Second, the way you apply the tricks to solve the SC.

Regards.

p.s.: If you have a database of these tricks, then please share. :P
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 13:29
Agree with above.

A reported verb in the past should generally also show the 'reported verb' in the past.
The other way to think about it is as a prediction from the past. In general, when you predict from the present you use 'will. However, when predicting from the past, you use 'would'.

For example: In the 1970s, scientists predicted that humans would have 50% more leisure time at their disposal.

In addition, the semicolon (;) is sometimes used to clarify an overly 'clausy' sentence. Sure you can have multiple clauses in a sentence but it sometimes gets very busy. SO the semicolon, like a conjunction, helps organize the sentence. Just remember that both sides of the semicolon should contain a full clause (and be connected).

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/GMATTutorEcon
(866) 292-0660

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 13:45
Quick clarifying question about the sentence below:

Having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children; nevertheless, many stated that they would feel less satisfied with their lives

Why is it okay to use they, and their in this sentence when we have two different antecedents that could be responsible for the pronouns? is it because the parents is closer than psychologists?
Retired Moderator
B
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 13:50
anujkhatiwada wrote:
Quick clarifying question about the sentence below:

Having reviewed a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believed that they would probably be happier without children; nevertheless, many stated that they would feel less satisfied with their lives

Why is it okay to use they, and their in this sentence when we have two different antecedents that could be responsible for the pronouns? is it because the parents is closer than psychologists?

YES and also note that the first 'they' is used for parents and once we use a pronoun for a particular antecedent we can reuse the same pronoun again (for the same antecedent)

HTH

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 15:05
Agreed mostly.

As a general rule though you need to remember the following. A pronoun that can replace more than one noun in a sentence is NOT necessarily incorrect if what is being replaced is, from a contextual and logical standpoint, the only thing that can be replaced. Many students believe that have an it and two singular nouns means automatic ambiguity- not so.

In the above case it makes no sense that the psychologists are the 'they' because the psychologists are looking into the survey about parents and parenthood not about themselves as parents...

Finally, an ambiguity is 'lower' on the scale of eliminable answer choices. Grammar is at the top, so everything else being equal (eg all other answer choices are grammatically eliminable yet the one that stand has an ambiguity, it will win out...sad, but true [not very often though!]). In all though remember to check for the logical/meaning aspect of the agreement as this is often quite important.

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/GMATTutorEcon
(866) 292-0660

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 19:22
Everything past - believed, would, claimed - only D was satisfied enough to be chosen by me. :D
IMO its D
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 04:34
Pls correct the answer C) as its current form seems right (must be 'will' instead of 'would' o/w 2nd 'would' is right ).
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 07:32
AlexGmat2017 wrote:
Pls correct the answer C) as its current form seems right (must be 'will' instead of 'would' o/w 2nd 'would' is right ).

Everything is in past. so i think it should be would rather than will.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 07:57
Hi mikemcgarry,

I have a question for choice D. I totally agree with the tense form used in Choice D. However, i have a small concern. In the Second independent clause, "many" does not have a proper noun to refer to. For.eg. it could be Many of psychologists or Many of the parents. Can we resuse the pronoun in first independent clause (as mentioned in the earlier threads) in the second independent clause? Please help
Thanks.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 16:00
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

I have a question for choice D. I totally agree with the tense form used in Choice D. However, i have a small concern. In the Second independent clause, "many" does not have a proper noun to refer to. For.eg. it could be Many of psychologists or Many of the parents. Can we resuse the pronoun in first independent clause (as mentioned in the earlier threads) in the second independent clause? Please help
Thanks.

Dear hellosanthosh2k2,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, in my opinion, this is a mediocre SC practice question. The underlined portion is immense, but the vast majority of that shows no variation--most of the differences between answer choices involves formulaic issues regarding verb tense. This question was written by someone who understood the format that the GMAT uses but who doesn't really understand the high standards that the official GMAT SC questions embody.

The word "many" is an indefinite pronoun. See:
GMAT Sentence Correction: Indefinite Pronouns and Agreement
GMAT Sentence Correction: Indefinite Pronouns and Logic

Many issues, at many levels of analyses, go into the pronoun-antecedent relationship. There is the obvious issue of number--both the pronoun & antecedent must have the same number (i.e. singular vs. plural). Proximity plays some role. Students, especially non-native students, often underestimate how much rhetoric plays a role this relationship.

Here, in the first part of the sentence, which group is rhetorically prioritized? The parents. First of all, the initial clause presents parents as the topic. The psychologist are merely in a neutral reporting role. The parents are the ones who are making an interesting, memorable, even shocking statement. Parents are the principal rhetorical focus of the first half of the sentence, so it's very clear that a contrast beginning with "many" points univocally to them.

Students, again especially non-native speaking students, typically misunderstand the GMAT SC as a test of grammar. In fact, on the GMAT SC, grammar and logic and rhetoric are equally important, and in a well-constructed sentence, these three work together to support a clear meaning. Students who focus only on grammar are missing more than half of what is going on.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 08:07
mikemcgarry wrote:

My friend, in my opinion, this is a mediocre SC practice question. The underlined portion is immense, but the vast majority of that shows no variation--most of the differences between answer choices involves formulaic issues regarding verb tense. This question was written by someone who understood the format that the GMAT uses but who doesn't really understand the high standards that the official GMAT SC questions embody.

Hi Mike! mikemcgarry
I understand that you are not thrilled with this question, but let me ask you somehow related question. The option B states:

B. After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologists claimed that the majority of parents believe that they would probably be happier without children although many stated that they would feel less satisfied with their lives.

Is there any chance that this option is correctly uses tenses in reported speech? My logic here:

1. As "believe" is something general, we can use present tense for this verb in reported speech that itself is in past tense , and as "would be happier" is hypothetical, we can use it despite present tense of "believe".
2. "Many stated" is in past as this is finished action. What if the 2nd "would" were changed to whould have been, would it make the answer B correct?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologis &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jul 2018, 08:07

After reviewing a recent survey into parenthood, psychologis

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap