GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
G
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 08:28
him1985 wrote:
E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying - No subject in but clause

If the deconstruct the sentence, the core structure of the sentence is:

the health care company became....but then proved....

So, the parallelism is between became and proved (both are verbs). Basically, the health care company is the subject of the second clause as well.

Perhaps an easier example would help illustrate: Peter worked hard but did not perform well in the exam.

Peter is the subject of the second clause (did not perform well in the exam) as well.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 01:05
Notice A, B and C unnecessarily repeat the subject by using the word “it”. “Became.. but…proved” in E is correct, rather than “became…but..proving” in D, as others have said. I didn’t like the singular “payment” in A and B. “Payments” sounds better to me. This problem is avoided in the correct answer, E. “But” emphasises the necessary contrast better than “while” does. “While” can sometimes be used as a word of contrast, but it can also be used to link two activities happening at the same time. The contrast is clearer in this sentence with the use of “but”.

Economist GMAT Tutor
Claim your completely free, full-access trial: http://econgm.at/GMATFreeTrial
Follow us @econtestprep
Contact us at (866) 292-0660 or support@gmat.economist.com

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 06:23
email2vm wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

in option E but (conjunction) is preceded by comma which means that 'but' should be followed by an independent clause. But I do not find any noun in it.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Am I right in understanding that it is not a rule that 'BUT' followed by ',' is an indication of complete clause? Please suggest

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 14:02
Divyadisha wrote:
email2vm wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

in option E but (conjunction) is preceded by comma which means that 'but' should be followed by an independent clause. But I do not find any noun in it.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Am I right in understanding that it is not a rule that 'BUT' followed by ',' is an indication of complete clause? Please suggest

an indication only - but not a confirmation. One may use Comma + but as a non-essential modifier.

Modifier: A skilled swimmer, but not as skilled as Michael, Jack covered 100 meters in 25 seconds.

When used to start a clause, the following rules apply:
2 clauses (correct): I went to the shop, but I could not find what I wanted.
1 clause with 2 verbs (correct) : I went to the shop but could not find what I wanted.
incomplete clause (wrong): I went to the shop, but could not find what I wanted.
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 06:51
D sounded awkward so I chose E.

Can anyone tell what exactly is wrong with D?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 07:08
sillyboy wrote:
D sounded awkward so I chose E.

Can anyone tell what exactly is wrong with D?

After several years of rapid growth, the healthy care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area
, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

Notice that there are two independent clauses joined in the sentence using "but".

But in D, proving and falling lack the verb, thereby making it a run on sentence. Hence, INCORRECT.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company &nbs [#permalink] 26 Feb 2017, 07:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap