GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Mar 2018, 16:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:02) correct 33% (01:04) wrong based on 2208 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Edit: This discussion has retired. Find the new thread HERE

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

Originally posted by jerrywu on 07 Sep 2006, 09:02.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 25 Mar 2018, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 15:58

Hi Jose,

Thanks for posting your question here. :-)

The correct answer choice indeed presents a bewildering use of comma + but. Generally, comma + but (FANBOYS) is followed by an Independent Clause. But in this case we see that is certainly not happening.

What we need to understand here is that "but" is not used as one of the FANBOYS here. It is not used as a coordinating conjunction. It is rather used as a parallel marker that denotes the parallel list in the sentence and shows contrast.

After several years of rapid growth, the healthy care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying doctors and hospitals.

Let's approach the sentence from the meaning standpoint. The sentence says that the healthy care company became one of the largest health care providers. This is the positive point about the healthy care company. The later part of the sentence says that it proved unable to handle the increase in business, and as a result, they failed months behind in paying doctors and hospitals. This certainly is the negative point of the healthy care company. Use of "but" clearly and correctly brings about this contrast.

The use of comma before "but" actually provides that much needed pause in the sentence to understand that the first part is talking about the positive aspect. So this comma actually enhances our reading in order to understand the meaning better.

Also. all the other answer choices have glaring grammatical errors. Choice E is the only one free of any grammatical error. So we learn something new here. comma + but can also be used to indicate parallel list in the sentence. It is not necessary that comma + but has to be followed by an independent clause.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2007, 12:56
After several years of rapid growth, the healthy care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to --at the same time? No, the meaning is not
B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying--What does the "it" refer to? "its paying" is definitely wrong here.
D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying --correct
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2008, 09:32
IMO :E
My reasoning in line ...

Its a 2/3 split question ..
Between C D and E .
C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind
in its paying...sounds akward .
D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind
in paying..wrong tense
E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind
in paying

"CEO in making"

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2009, 07:50
I like this question as it tests several concepts.
E.

The meaning suggests that we need contrasting "but", not "while" in the way it is used.
See below for other comments.
Minheequang wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals

(A) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to
(B) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying ask yourselves, do we really need a pronoun "it"? What if we can make "but" portion of the sentence parallel with the first part of the sentence? Say, "company became blah blah blah but then proved blah blah blah" is much better. In this case, "company" is the subject of both "became" and "proved", and therefore there is no need for "it". Such "it"s introduce circularity to the sentence and therefore should be be avoided. Also, "it" can refer to "Metropolitan area"
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying "proving" is not parallel with "became"
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying Correct - See C

It's in Gmatprep, one of the hardest questions I have ever faced. Who can have the clearest answer ? I think it's all about meaning, which is sometimes above my knowledge

P?S: with each post, I will pose question against your explanation until I meet a stronger one than mine
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2009, 11:32
E . WE can eliminate D for using proving...A,B and C are emoved because they use "it" and its not clear what "it" refers to...So E is the answer...

Choose Life

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 19:36
Answer is E.

As mentioned before there is a subject verb misalignment. Payment in the original should have been plural. Leaves us with D & E.

D can be be comfortably crossed out as it refers to present cont. whilst this is to have been in the past.

OA pls?

-talent is the desire to practice-

Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2009, 00:04
Here's how to ellipse:

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became \(X(\)one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area\()\), but then proved \(Y(\)unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying\()\)

company became X but (then) proved Y

falling... is a descriptive verb modifier, which the GMAT absolutely loves.

Final Answer, E.

Hades

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2009, 13:55
E , imo
"but" is needed to introduce the contrast.
C would be right if it were something like this. Also "in its" in C is wrong.

"but then it proved (that it was) unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
SVP
SVP
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2011, 12:25
Minheequang wrote:
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals

(A) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to
(B) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to
(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

It's in Gmatprep, one of the hardest questions I have ever faced. Who can have the clearest answer ? I think it's all about meaning, which is sometimes above my knowledge

P?S: with each post, I will pose question against your explanation until I meet a stronger one than mine

OA is E

Here's how I went about it:

Step 1) While vs but then

I knew that the "healthcare company became one of the largest"---and then the part where it says "unable to handle the increase in business"---implies that the transition word we need is something that implies "however"

The idea is the company became really bit...BUT THEN...it couldn't handle being big.

So that's what I saw in (C), (D), and (E). I crossed off (A) and (B) for now.

Step 2) It proved Vs proving Vs proved.......
"Proving" in (D) doesn't make sense here. "but then proving unable to do blah blah blah, [something here]"
But that's not the sentence structure we see. So we know (D) is no good.

As far as "it proved" vs "proved in choices (C) and (E)---it's hard to say definitively so I keep reading the sentence.

Step 3) Looking closer at (C) and (E).
Then I notice they're trying to test me on "In its paying doctors" Vs "In paying doctors"

Well, "in its paying doctors" sounds kind of awkward. "In paying doctors" is much simpler and gets to the point

So there we have it--answer (E) but just doing a few simple thought processes the GMATPill way.

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2012, 23:05
[quote="Minheequang"]After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the Metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals

(A) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to (While modifier eliminate)
(B) while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its payment to ( While modifier eliminate)
(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying ( But then it proved eliminate)
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying ( proving.. doesnt make sense eliminate)
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying ( Correct )

DARK KNIGHT

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2013, 21:27
After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A and B are ruled out because use of while is incorrect
A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its
payment to

B. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business and fell months behind in its
payment to

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
Correct Answer
i. 'IT' in the first part is used as a placeholder, please refer MGMAT SC book if you are not comfortable with Placeholder IT.
ii. in the second part, use of 'its' is correct as it indicates that the company wasn't able to pay its staff and not all the doctors in the city as implied by other statements

use of proving is wrong
E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
does not qualify as correct as discussed for option C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2013, 01:38
Hi,

The answer to me is 'E'.

In C you do not need the two extra 'it' and 'its' - There is only one subject in the sentence 'health care company' - as there is no potential for confusion you do not need to repeat it.

There would be more justification for the second 'its' if the word order was slightly different.

Currently:

'in its paying'

better would be

'in paying its'

This would be qualifying whose doctors are being paid, currently it is an awkward way of saying who is doing the paying
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2013, 05:01

(C) but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying
(D) but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying
(E) but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

The official answer is E, as I saw on few threads discussing this question

somehow I don't understand how official answer can be E as clearly a comma and but indicate an independent clause (I presume there had not been any typos while posting and that comma is indeed out from the underlined part) then how can E be the answer as it clearly lacks subject....The answer must be C....I would like to have some expert opinion here if E really is the answer..or please if someone who has come across this question can clarify if the comma is in the underlined part
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2013, 09:41
ratinarace wrote:

The official answer is E, as I saw on few threads discussing this question

somehow I don't understand how official answer can be E as clearly a comma and but indicate an independent clause (I presume there had not been any typos while posting and that comma is indeed out from the underlined part) then how can E be the answer as it clearly lacks subject....The answer must be C....I would like to have some expert opinion here if E really is the answer..or please if someone who has come across this question can clarify if the comma is in the underlined part

Dear ratinarace,

I'm happy to help with this. :-) This question is about parallelism. The noun "the health care company" is the subject, and the best sentence has two verbs in parallel for this subject. This is exactly what (E) has:

.... the health care company became ......, but proved .....

Those two underlined verbs are in parallel. We don't need a pronoun before the second verb --- that actually makes the sentences longer and clunkier. The most concise and efficient sentence puts the two verbs directly in parallel.

Does this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:59
ratinarace wrote:

Hi Ratinarace.

First, according to Manhattan Gmat, you cannot use a comma to separate two independent clauses. A comma is only used to connect two dependent clauses. If we have same subject, we can omit the subject in the second clause. For instance: I like apple, but always eat orange.

Next, the answer cannot be C. Let analyze the last two parts in C and E.
C: falling months behind in its paying doctors
E: falling months behind in paying doctors

What makes them different. the difference lies in "its".
In C, Because there's "its", so "paying" plays like an adjective and modifies doctors, not the health care company. Hence, the meaning is that the company is falling behind "the paying doctors". It doesn't make any sense.
In E, paying is real modifier that gives us more information about how the company proved unable to handle the increase in business (Because the company is falling behind in paying salaries for doctors and hospitals)

Hope it's clear now.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2013, 12:58
Long compound sentences comprising two ICs that are connected by coordinating conjunctions such as and , or, but and so on ( there are seven of them called fanboys) generally use a comma before the conjunction; But this is skippable in short sentences

He hoped that he could get through his GMAT with over 700, but could hardly manage just 550
He wanted not tea but coffee
In the second case, we have not used any comma before but although the conjunction connects two independent nouns namely tea and coffee.
So connecting two ICS is only one of the functions of these fanboys, although they also connect other things as tow adverbs, verbs, adjective, adverbs, prepositional phrases etc
It may be also seen that in compound it is perfectly ok to skip the subject of the second IC in order to avoid redundancy, provided the subject of the first IC can also stand for the second IC.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Jun 2017, 20:38
After several years of rapid growth, the healthy care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to doctors and hospitals.

A. while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to

Correct ANS:
After several years of rapid growth, the healthy care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying doctors and hospitals.

Analysis:
Independent clause 1:
"After several years of rapid growth" this is a prepositional phrase modifying "the healthy company"

"the healthy care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area",

Independent clause 2:but then proved unable to handle the increase in business,

Verb-ing modifier modifying 2nd independent clause:falling months behind in paying doctors and hospitals.

My doubth is:For each independent clause there should be independent subject and verb.IC1 has got its own subject and verb "the healthy care company became"

But IC2 ,which starts with coordinating conjunction "but" is lacking of subject, it has only verb "Proved".
From the context, it is clear that the subject of the second IC is the health care company, if this is the case, my doubt is can a subject of one independent clause acts as the subject of another Independent clause?

Another point: "But" can act both as preposition and coordinating conjunction.
in this case, if this "But" is acting as a preposition or as a connector , then really the "comma" is required or not?

How can we know, whether " But" is using as coordinating conjunction or as a preposition?

Originally posted by josepradeep on 06 Sep 2013, 14:24.
Last edited by broall on 28 Jun 2017, 20:38, edited 4 times in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 11:21
email2vm wrote:

in option E but (conjunction) is preceded by comma which means that 'but' should be followed by an independent clause. But I do not find any noun in it.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi email2vm

First, just want to correct your thought of conjunction "but". Coordinating conjunctions connect NOT ONLY clauses, but also words, phrases.

In this question, yes, but should connect two clauses. However, we should not repeat the same subject to make a sentence concise.
For example: Peter is very smart but he is very lazy ==> we can rewrite the sentence: Peter is very smart but he is very lazy.

The idea is the same for E.

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area, but then the company proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying

Note: "falling months behind in paying" is verb-ing modifier + comma ==> modifies the preceding clause "bu then proved unable to handle the increase in business".

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 09:56

Lets break the sentence:

Phrase 1: After several years of rapid growth - Correctly modifies health care company
Clause 1: the health care company became one of the largest health care providers in the metropolitan area - health care company is the subject and became is the verb.

Clause 2: while it then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its payment to[/u] doctors and hospitals. - while starts new clause in whic it is the subject and proved is verb: Now while does not present contrast. Sentence intend to present contrast here

C. but then it proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in its paying - But starts a new clause. It (sub) refers to health care company and proved is verb. comma+ing modifier correctly tells that how it proved unable. This should be the correct answer

D. but then proving unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying - No subject and verb in but clause

E. but then proved unable to handle the increase in business, falling months behind in paying - No subject in but clause

I don't understand that why E is correct. egmat can you please tell

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: After several years of rapid growth, the health care company &nbs [#permalink] 08 Oct 2014, 09:56

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

After several years of rapid growth, the health care company

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap