GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 18:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!

After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 02:06
daagh wrote:
Quote:
Also, I did not have a clear indication about the use of the pronoun ''its''. Is the pronoun ''its'' is being used for ''California'' or ''declines''?

How can the singular "its" be ever used for the plural "declines?"

Yes. It should not be. But, I correlated ''its'' with ''declines'' because the use of pronoun 'its' does not fit with 'California' to me. :)

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Director
Director
G
Re: After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 02:25
Quote:
After years of record drought, declined water reserved in California are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

I've a curiosity about the above sentence. Is this sentence is ok with proper intended meaning?
Thank you...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 04:48
iMyself wrote:
Quote:
After years of record drought, declined water reserved in California are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

I've a curiosity about the above sentence. Is this sentence is ok with proper intended meaning?
Thank you...

No, it is not correct. The water itself did not decline, the reserves declined.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 11:05
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Quote:

Thank you...

No, it is not correct. The water itself did not decline, the reserves declined.

Thank you sayantanc2k. I'm talking about ''declined water'' which is reserved in California. Is the sentence ok if the intended meaning is meant by this way?
Thanks again...

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 11:12
iMyself wrote:
daagh wrote:
IMyself wrote

Quote:
A) Changes in this SC edits by MartyMurray can give us an important point to discuss blah blah blah.....
A) Changes in this SC discusses in gmatclub forum can give an important point to blah blah blah....

In order to understand your point in its perspective, it might help to know in what part of speech are the words "edits" or "discusses" used in your examples. While "edits" can be a plural noun, "discusses" can only be a present tense verb used for singulars. In the topic under issue, "reserves" is a clear plural noun. Therefore, it is rather difficult to make out what your second example tries to convey.
Could you pl. help?

My thinking says that the word ''reserves'' is being used as ''adjective'' in the official correct sentence. So, for that reason, I drew some examples in which 'edited' and 'discussed' has been used as 'adjective'. If the word 'reserves' is being used as 'plural countable noun', then the use of 'reserves' is ok to me. But, how ''reserves'' is used as countable noun. Longman Dictionary says that the word ''decline'' is countable and plural when it is related with sales, profits, and production (become less). So, my question is how the word 'declines' is related with THESE things in this official sentence?
Thank you...

May I have your attention sayantanc2k, daagh, DmitryFarber in this question?
Thank you...

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 11:18
Interesting question. Will go for A.
Retired Moderator
S
After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 11:51
iMyself wrote:
iMyself wrote:

My thinking says that the word ''reserves'' is being used as ''adjective'' in the official correct sentence. So, for that reason, I drew some examples in which 'edited' and 'discussed' has been used as 'adjective'. If the word 'reserves' is being used as 'plural countable noun', then the use of 'reserves' is ok to me. But, how ''reserves'' is used as countable noun. Longman Dictionary says that the word ''decline'' is countable and plural when it is related with sales, profits, and production (become less). So, my question is how the word 'declines' is related with THESE things in this official sentence?
Thank you...

May I have your attention sayantanc2k, daagh, DmitryFarber in this question?
Thank you...

The reserves became less. So the usage of "declines" is alright.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 11:59
But the word "reserves" is not related with Sales, profit, and production.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 12:13
iMyself wrote:
But the word "reserves" is not related with Sales, profit, and production.

Sales, profits and production are just representative examples, not the comprehensive list.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 12:19
I get it. Many many thanks brother @sayantanc2k

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 13:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2018, 13:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap