GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 02 Jun 2020, 08:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Age vs. Work Experience (INSEAD & LBS)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Age vs. Work Experience (INSEAD & LBS)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2016, 05:37
Hey all!

It's still early for me but I am trying to decide when to start my MBA (target schools INSEAD & LBS). Basically it comes down to more work experience vs. higher age.

I have already spent almost 2 years on post-graduate studies (which I just really wanted to do because I found the topics exciting), so by the age of 30 I will only have 4.5 years of work experience (in entrepreneurship). I am contemplating to wait another 1-2 years to gather more experience, but then I would be at least 31 (graduating from LBS with 33).

I know age is just a number, but at what point would I be 'too old'? Should I start my MBA rather early or wait some more? I am thinking not just in terms of admission chances but also recruitment - I would like to go into consulting (MBB) after my MBA.

Thanks for the help and happy new year's!

Here is my basic background, just in case (as planned by the time I begin the MBA):
- German, male, GMAT 730
- Undergraduate and Graduate degree in EU and Corporate Law (Uni. Maastricht)
- MSc in Innovation & Entrepreneurship (ESADE)
- 4.5 years WE, mostly in the entrepreneurial sector (venture capital, venture development, co-founder of an own start-up)
- A good amount of leadership experience (also in extracurriculars, student clubs etc.)
- English+German languages fluent, French+Spanish basic. Good amount of intl. experience
- Applying for Round 1
Intern
Intern
B
Age vs. Work Experience (INSEAD & LBS)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2016, 10:58
Hi Mate,

You have enough experience in my opinion.
Put effort into your essays and get good recommendations.
You should be a competitive candidate at both of your target schools
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge
Re: Age vs. Work Experience (INSEAD & LBS)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 01:06
Koopaa wrote:
Hey all!

It's still early for me but I am trying to decide when to start my MBA (target schools INSEAD & LBS). Basically it comes down to more work experience vs. higher age.

I have already spent almost 2 years on post-graduate studies (which I just really wanted to do because I found the topics exciting), so by the age of 30 I will only have 4.5 years of work experience (in entrepreneurship). I am contemplating to wait another 1-2 years to gather more experience, but then I would be at least 31 (graduating from LBS with 33).

I know age is just a number, but at what point would I be 'too old'? Should I start my MBA rather early or wait some more? I am thinking not just in terms of admission chances but also recruitment - I would like to go into consulting (MBB) after my MBA.

Thanks for the help and happy new year's!

Here is my basic background, just in case (as planned by the time I begin the MBA):
- German, male, GMAT 730
- Undergraduate and Graduate degree in EU and Corporate Law (Uni. Maastricht)
- MSc in Innovation & Entrepreneurship (ESADE)
- 4.5 years WE, mostly in the entrepreneurial sector (venture capital, venture development, co-founder of an own start-up)
- A good amount of leadership experience (also in extracurriculars, student clubs etc.)
- English+German languages fluent, French+Spanish basic. Good amount of intl. experience
- Applying for Round 1

You could apply now as well if you want, but as you are applying to European schools (with a higher average age than US schools) you could wait and still get accepted too. The reason I would suggest you apply sooner than later is employment opportunities as those may be the tricky part for an “older” candidate, especially in consulting.

But from an admission point of view I would say both options are fine. Great profile by the way!

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Age vs. Work Experience (INSEAD & LBS)   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2017, 01:06

Age vs. Work Experience (INSEAD & LBS)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto, pabpinor