Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [98]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [39]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [9]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [4]
Given Kudos: 74
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Agricultural scientists continue to search for a strain of [#permalink]
Kudos
very good example of Parallelism . Initially i got wrong but after going to Pqhai explanations , i understood this .
We should take "and" as a parallel marker and look for words joined by "and" ,check whether these words (joined by and ) have a similar priority or make up similar idea.
Here in this question , hardy and disease -resistant are properties of strain of wheat. So these two properties have to made parallel by combing hardy "and" disease-resistant. These two properties make up similar idea/or of same rank.

Yields is advantage of Wheat and this should not be in parallel to Properties(hardy and disease resistant).So this is separated by "and" is made parallel to first "that is"
"that yields " || "that is".

Hence C:)
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Agricultural scientists continue to search for a strain of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Alamel wrote:
Wrt
E.hardy, disease-resistant, and yielding
Wrong. Although the structure is parallel, the meaning is wrong. "Hardy" and "disease-resistant" are characteristics of the strain of wheat, but "yielding" is the advantage of the grains, so we cannot put them together in a parallel structure.

is yielding more grain per acre is a characteristic of the strain, along with other characteristics hardy and disease resistant.
It is modifying the strain of wheat and is a noun phrase. So why is it wrong

Option E has a serious parallelism problem. "Hardy" and "disease-resistant" are adjectives,but " yielding" here is a verb in present continuous tense (is yielding), Two adjectives are wrongly made parallel to a present continuous verb.

("is yielding" is not a modifier - it is the verb for the subject "that")
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Agricultural scientists continue to search for a strain of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Alamel wrote:
got it thanks
just coz its -ing it need not be a gerund, the purpose of the word is what defines it role

Absolutely. Verb+ing could be a verb in progressive, a noun (gerund), an adjective or a present participle.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
sayantanc2k wrote:
Alamel wrote:
Wrt
Wrong. Although the structure is parallel, the meaning is wrong. "Hardy" and "disease-resistant" are characteristics of the strain of wheat, but "yielding" is the advantage of the grains, so we cannot put them together in a parallel structure.

is yielding more grain per acre is a characteristic of the strain, along with other characteristics hardy and disease resistant.

Option E has a serious parallelism problem. "Hardy" and "disease-resistant" are adjectives,but " yielding" here is a verb in present continuous tense (is yielding), Two adjectives are wrongly made parallel to a present continuous verb.

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong but as per my understanding VERB+ING can not stand alone as a verb, it needs a helping verb such as IS + VERB+ING or ARE + VERB+ING. A stand alone VERB+ING acts as an adjective and always modifies the noun.

The error i see in option E is the second part of the sentence is a FRAGMENT as it lacks verb.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
"is" should not be underlined.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
vibhav wrote:
Agricultural scientists continue to search for a strain of wheat that is hardy, disease-resistant and yields more grain per acre.

A.hardy, disease-resistant and yields

B.hardy, resists disease, and that yields

C.hardy and disease-resistant and that yields

D.hardy and resist disease, yielding

Moderators,

Please update the question
verb is should be out of underlined portion. Otherwise it does not make any sense.
When verb comes out of underline then Parallelism - that is X ,Y and that yields - makes sense
When verb is inside the underlined portion , it will be replaced by hardy in the beginning and form a fragment - that hardy, disease-resistant and that yields

Hence the question should be
Agricultural scientists continue to search for a strain of wheat that is hardy, disease-resistant and yields more grain per acre.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
tryambaks wrote:
vibhav wrote:

Moderators,

Please update the question
verb is should be out of underlined portion. Otherwise it does not make any sense.
When verb comes out of underline then Parallelism - that is X ,Y and that yields - makes sense
When verb is inside the underlined portion , it will be replaced by hardy in the beginning and form a fragment - that hardy, disease-resistant and that yields

Hence the question should be

Good observation, thanks. ...changed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Wrt

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi thanks for the reply.

How is the role of yielding here different from the word throbbing in the below sentence
She has a headache that is painful, irritating and throbbing.
yielding - is a gerund and not a verb - correct me if i am wrong similar to throbbing in the above sentence
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Alamel wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply.

How is the role of yielding here different from the word throbbing in the below sentence
She has a headache that is painful, irritating and throbbing.
yielding - is a gerund and not a verb - correct me if i am wrong similar to throbbing in the above sentence

First, none of the -ing constructions in your sentence or in option E are gerunds - gerunds are nouns and here these -ing forms are either a verb or an adjective.

In your sentence: throbbing is an adjective - remove painful and irritating. You are left with:
....that is throbbing. - throbbing is not a action by pain but an adjective referring to pain.

In option E: yielding is a verb. remove the two adjectives hardy and disease-resistant. You are left with:
..that is yielding more grain per acre. - yielding is an action by wheat.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
got it thanks
just coz its -ing it need not be a gerund, the purpose of the word is what defines it role
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
C is correct because hardy and disease-resistant are both adjectives, while yield is a verb --> hardy and disease should therefore be parallel to one another and yield will be treated separately.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
aman15390 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Alamel wrote:
Wrt

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong but as per my understanding VERB+ING can not stand alone as a verb, it needs a helping verb such as IS + VERB+ING or ARE + VERB+ING. A stand alone VERB+ING acts as an adjective and always modifies the noun.

The error i see in option E is the second part of the sentence is a FRAGMENT as it lacks verb.

Hi aman15390,

Yes, second IC in the option E doesn't have a subject. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
A is wrong because ‘hardy’ does not parallel ‘disease-resistant’
B is wrong because it does not need the that. ‘that is’ has to parallel ‘resists’ and ‘yields’
C is correct ‘hardy’ parallels ‘disease-resistant’ and ‘that is’ parallels ‘that yields’
D is wrong because ‘a strain’ is obviously singular and ‘resists’ is plural.
E is wrong because ‘hardy’ and ‘disease’ resistant’ are qualities of the wheat, while ‘yielding’ is a quality of the grain. This means that they cannot be put together.

So, C is the only correct option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM

Issues in this question - We don't know which elements are parallel in the list. First identify if there are two lists of parallelism or three elements in parallel.

There can be two list of parallelism - hardy, diseases -resistant and that is and that yields or hardy, resists diseases and yields.

Now, in this question, we have two lists of parallelism. identify this by checking two things - parallel lists should a)logically and b)grammatically parallel.

Logically, three elements can be parallel but these elements hardy, diseases -resistant are adjectives whereas yields more grain is a clause so that is not necessarily an error.

Grammatically, if you would see substitute "is" with every element of list and see if it makes sense.

is hardy, is diseases -resistant and is yields more grain per acre.

So, there are two lists. If that is the case, then we need a) "and" between hardy and diseases -resistant & b) that before yields to show two requirements.

Remove one parallel list - So, remove A, E. E can also be removed because it has verb-ing can't be parallel to adjectives. Eliminate D because that changes the meaning. Now, B and C are left.

In B, apply is before resists diseases which is incorrect. So, C is the answer.

A.hardy, disease-resistant and yields -

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
vibhav wrote:

parallelism is missing therefore out

Similar reasoning as A

THe meaning along with the parallelism is perfect therefore let us hang on to it

parallelism issue in addition disease-resistant is more idiomatic therefore out

Even though parallel the meaning is out therefore out

THerefore IMO C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts