It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 22:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil int

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1721 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil int [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2012, 12:31
Yes I agree. In fact, if one is doing good then he will not face any such problem.
This problem is a special case of such problems where we can eliminate the answer choices just on the basis of referent.
Regarding the concision issue, I asked Tommy about this and he told that concision should be taken as last resort. Their might be several issues with the help of which we can eliminate the answer choices.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1721 [0], given: 62

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18094 [0], given: 1992

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil int [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2012, 12:33
I dont know you know.
Tangible concision is my fav way to eliminate answers
like annual per year
per capita per person
sufficient enough.
these are almost always wrong and I used to fail to notice these apparently insignificant things.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18094 [0], given: 1992

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2012, 18:04
Marcab wrote:
The issue raised here is the referent.
In A, what is "its" referring to? State's economy or state
In B, what is "they" referring to?
In D, what is "its" referring to?
In E, what is "they" referring to?

A good advice: When you encounter any of the deadly five: it, its, they, their and one more, just get to their referent. If there is an ambiguity, immediately eliminate it.
Hope that Helps.
-s

the It in has to refer to State's right... there is no ambiguity here!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2012, 04:16
Jp27 wrote:
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.

(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state's economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted

OA after some discussion....

One more confusion , IN option C it says "after oil reserves are exhausted " so after whose "oil reserves are exhausted" the funds will support the state's economy?

Besides that why is A wrong? Any one has good explanation for this problem?

Cheers

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2012, 03:47
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves - usage of its is wrong
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state's economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves - refers to the intention of the funds not that of the state
(C) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted - Correct
(D) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after exhausting its oil reserves - wrong usage of its
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted - fund is not intending to do anything but the state is

Correct choice - C

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2012, 03:20
73. Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special
fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its
oil reserves.
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of
its oil reserves0
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have
exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are
exhausted

Why A is wrong & C is right ? .... is it due to : " .. fund, with the intention to sustain .... & ....fund intended to sustain ...." .... please explain in detail ??

Last edited by Vips0000 on 16 Nov 2012, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to correct forum.Edited subject

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1720 [0], given: 116

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2012, 03:32
rgohil wrote:
73. Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special
fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its
oil reserves.
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of
its oil reserves0
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have
exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
exhausted

Why A is wrong & C is right ? .... is it due to : " .. fund, with the intention to sustain .... & ....fund intended to sustain ...." .... please explain in detail ??

IMHO I dont find anything wrong with A as far as grammar is concerned. I think C gains preference only due to concision.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Kudos [?]: 1720 [0], given: 116

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Schools: Jones '15

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2012, 06:38
rgohil wrote:
oil reserves.
its oil reserves0 with the intention, wordy
exhausted their oil reserves the intention of which... wordy
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted correct
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves tense error. after exhausting vs after exhausted
exhaustedthat??? they??? who is they? Alaska should be treated singularly here

IMO, A is ruled out because of concision properties. In one of the Manhattan chapters the rule was to drive the VAN. Prefer verb over adjective over Noun. What you can say concisely in fund intended is not so concise in fund, with the intention of.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3852 [0], given: 2464

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2013, 08:57
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion
of its oil reserves.

(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state's economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted

My preference was to D official answer is C

Apart from this i have also one query.
In choice A "with the intension .........oil reserves" seems to modify the verb 'deposits'
Inchoice C "intended to .............are exhausted" seems to modify 'fund'
How should one decide/recognize which word logically be modified by the modifier.

100+ Interview Debriefs from GMAT Club members

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 961 [1], given: 184

Concentration: Strategy, Finance

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2013, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
-- The pronoun "its" is ambiguous, it can refer to both economy or alaska. Hence choice (D) is incorrect.

In choice A "with the intention .........oil reserves" seems to modify the verb 'deposits'
-- Choice (A) has redundant comma prefixed to "with", because of which the "with clause" appears to modify the entire first part of the sentence. Such constructions are usually less preferred in GMAT (including few OG solutions). And yes, "with intention" refers to the Alaska's action "deposits".

Inchoice C "intended to .............are exhausted" seems to modify 'fund'. How should one decide/recognize which word logically be modified by the modifier.
This is VERB-ED type modifier. Refer to below article and you will be more clear about this type of modifier.
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE GMAT Practice Tests: Vote Here
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Looking to finance your tuition: Click here

Kudos [?]: 961 [1], given: 184

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [1], given: 29

GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2013, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
C

A is incorrect because it is wordy.

B is incorrect is wordy too and uses "they" without giving it a proper antecedent. One could assume "they" refers to "Alaska", but that would also be incorrect as Alaska is not a group of anything.

D is incorrect because it implies that the fund itself will exhaust the oil reserves. D is incorrect because it modifies the sentence's meaning.

E is incorrect because of the ambiguous "they".

I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Kudos [?]: 76 [1], given: 29

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2013, 03:07
PraPon wrote:
-- The pronoun "its" is ambiguous, it can refer to both economy or alaska. Hence choice (D) is incorrect.

In choice A "with the intention .........oil reserves" seems to modify the verb 'deposits'
-- Choice (A) has redundant comma prefixed to "with", because of which the "with clause" appears to modify the entire first part of the sentence. Such constructions are usually less preferred in GMAT (including few OG solutions). And yes, "with intention" refers to the Alaska's action "deposits".

Inchoice C "intended to .............are exhausted" seems to modify 'fund'. How should one decide/recognize which word logically be modified by the modifier.
This is VERB-ED type modifier. Refer to below article and you will be more clear about this type of modifier.
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Thanks PRAPON, COMMDIVER for the article link and response.

100+ Interview Debriefs from GMAT Club members

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 16:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 12:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 16:31
Request you not to write your queries/answers/opinions in question window. It prevents ppl from analysing the question. The whole purpose of GMAT Club forum goes wasted by doing so.

You have response windows to do all such things.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 102

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 02:56
I am still not able to understand why "A" is wrong.
I think the author intends to say "Alaska deposits the money...with an intention to sustain economy".
But option "C" talks about the intention with which the fund was created. Why is "C" correct even though it changes the meaning?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 102

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 04:09
C - uses "intended" as Noun Modifier modifying "fund".

A - uses "with the intention" as verb modifier modifying verb "deposits"

Why C : 1. Problem of "its " in A

2. C - Worded concisely.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 04:19
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.

A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted

I was doubting between options A and C. The key to discarding A was the fact that "intention to sustain" is wrong. It should be "intention of sustaining".

However, I have a question regarding the logicality of option C. Can a fund sustain (or be intended to sustain) somebody or something? I do not think so.

Your thoughts on this latter doubt will be greatly appreciated.

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 01:49
The answer is C. Before going into the explanation consider the following example of official GMAT paper test

Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.

(A) with the intention
(B) the intention of which is
(C) intended
(D) and intending
(E) so intended as

Here the ans is C. coz it clearly refers to the what the portfolios are created for. They are created for turning in good results.

Whereas, "with the intention" shifts the referent to the Asset allocators, thereby distorting the intended meaning.

The same logic can be extended to the discussed question.

Hope it helps. Kudos if you like.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 19:41
inactived wrote:
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted

Can someone explain why "..... fund intended to..." is working on this sentence? I can't understand what role does "intended to" play here?

Many thanks

Why is D incorrect? In D it is clear that the state's oil reserves, in C this clarity is missing.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Re: Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil int   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2016, 19:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 86 posts ] 

Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil int

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap