It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 12:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alberta essay word count limit

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 211

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Alberta essay word count limit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 15:58
Hi mates and mentors :) ,
Why does Alberta not include word limit on its statement of intent? Is it part of the trick, to let you figure out the appropriate word count range? Mine is in three pages of Calibri 14 font (a little below one thousand words :shock: ).
Alright, does anyone know the appropriate word count range for Alberta because two experts have given me two totally different word count for the self same essay. Answers please.
Remember me?
I'm the kudos guy. I give kudos like hell.

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 211

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 138 [1], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Alberta essay word count limit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 04:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Nez wrote:
Why does Alberta not include word limit on its statement of intent? Is it part of the trick, to let you figure out the appropriate word count range? Mine is in three pages of Calibri 14 font (a little below one thousand words :shock: ).
Alright, does anyone know the appropriate word count range for Alberta because two experts have given me two totally different word count for the self same essay. Answers please.
Remember me?

There is no word limit because they do want to leave it up to you to decide how much you need to tell them in order to convey your story. 1,000 is on the long side, so I would recommend revisiting that and looking to reduce it a little. It is hard to say exactly the right number without looking at the essay though.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 138 [1], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 16

Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.06
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Alberta essay word count limit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 20:03
This post received
KUDOS
Nezdem wrote:
Remember me?

Hey Nezdam, may be it's a little late, me responding now, but still would like to leave my opinion here for all future users of the club.
There is no word count or page count when it comes to the essays. The simple trick to figure out the length of your essay is to ask yourself, "Do I really need three pages to let the adcom know all the important stuff about me?" The answer may well be 'YES', and if so, just revisit to see if all the content you've included are really relevant, really impactful and if they can trimmed by choice of better words (I am sure you can bring it down to 2 pages if you restructure the sentences).
My essay to Alberta was in just 1 page, with probably around 350-400 words, cause I did not have much to tell. Mine is a pretty normal profile with not much stuff that stands out from the crowd. My initial essay was a little over 2 pages, and once I started trimming by looking at each of the statements and asking myself "Would adcom knowing this about me make any difference?", I ended up with a 1 page essay. I did get into Alberta. The generally accepted idea is for the essay to be either a 1 pager or at the maximum 2. But if you have a captivating essay that can keep the reader unaware that the essay is 3 pages long, I'm sure the adcom is not going to just look at the length and take it negatively.
So the bottomline is, it all depends on the quality of your essay and what you want to tell the adcom. :) All the very best.

Regards,
Viijay G

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 16

Re: Alberta essay word count limit   [#permalink] 30 May 2016, 20:03

Alberta essay word count limit

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap