It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 193 [3], given: 623

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2014, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (01:32) correct 22% (01:44) wrong based on 204 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters. For years, they have primarily served manufacturers of domestic agricultural equipment, and over time, this market has been decreasing. A consultant recommended that, with a minor modification, Algorpal could expand into pneumatic filters for biomedical research technology, a rapidly expanding market. The consultant argued that this single change could reverse a ten-year decline in Algorpal’s profits.
Which of the following would be the most useful to establish in evaluating the consultant’s recommendation?

A.)Whether other markets, such as food processing and food service, would offer greater opportunities for potential profits.
B.)Whether the number of biomedical devices at any single research center is greater than the number of pieces of equipment requiring filters on a single farm.
C.)How the ambient indoor air quality in a biomedical research center compares to the typical outdoor air quality in an agricultural zone.
D.)Whether the competition in the biomedical technology sector would allow for profits similar to what those in the agricultural sector had been
E.)Whether countries with expanding agricultural sectors would use farm equipment similarly to the domestic equipment current served by Algorpal.

All the best guys..in great need of kudos btw :)
reply if OE is required..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Kudos [?]: 193 [3], given: 623

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 886

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2014, 09:48
can you post the official explanation as well

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 886

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 193 [1], given: 623

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2014, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
akhil911 wrote:
can you post the official explanation as well

Here you go mate..! :)

The core of the consultant’s argument is: branching into this new sector will bring new profits, profits to replace what was lost in the agriculture sector. The credited answer is (D): whether branching into this new biomedical sector indeed will replace the former profits.

Choice (A) raises a different question, profits from a third sector not mentioned. This might offer yet another alternative, but it’s not directly relevant to the question: will entering the biomedical sector replace former profits?

Choice (B) might appear to be relevant to the question of profits, but suppose we knew the precise answer to this — suppose we knew, say, that each farm had five machines and each research center had three machines. Then what? How many farms overall are there? How many biomedical research centers overall are there? We don’t know, so we can’t evaluate the question of total profits.

Choice (C) is an interesting distractor. Whatever a pneumatic filter may filter, it probably has something to do with air. Are these filters filtering ambient air in the room, or are they filtering some particular internal channel within the machine? We don’t know, and even if we did, we would still be a long way off from deciding anything about profits.

Choice (E), like Choice (A), offers another option, another avenue that Algorpal might decide to follow instead of, or in addition to, the consultant’s recommendation. The task here, though, quite specifically, is to evaluate the consultant’s recommendation. How successful another avenue would be tells us nothing about how successful the plan recommended by the consultant would be.

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Kudos [?]: 193 [1], given: 623

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2014, 02:46
This is common type question relating to profit. Whenever you see the profit factor in the conclusion of the argument, just find the things relating to profit, revenue, and costs.

This question mentioned about biomedical research technology (new) & domestic agricultural equipment (old). The profit of NEW will overcome the OLD as the conclusion stated.

A.)Whether other markets, such as food processing and food service, would offer greater opportunities for potential profits.
=> Irrelevant to the profits
B.)Whether the number of biomedical devices at any single research center is greater than the number of pieces of equipment requiring filters on a single farm.
C.)How the ambient indoor air quality in a biomedical research center compares to the typical outdoor air quality in an agricultural zone.
E.)Whether countries with expanding agricultural sectors would use farm equipment similarly to the domestic equipment current served by Algorpal.
D.)Whether the competition in the biomedical technology sector would allow for profits similar to what those in the agricultural sector had been
=> The only choice states about the profits.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 44

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 15:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1056

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 15:16
boiled down to D and E.
E is a trap b/c E concerns with "COUNTRIES with expanding market...."
Also, the argument concerns more with the trend in the market, not the buyers.
D directly links with the profits.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 12:23
chesstitans wrote:
boiled down to D and E.

E is actually quite irrelevant. It has nothing to do with the consultant's plan for Algorpal to expand into pneumatic filters for biomedical research. In Evaluating an argument, we want to scrutinize the underlying assumptions/premises made by the author to reach the conclusion.

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

VP
VP
S

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 19:44
zvazviri wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
boiled down to D and E.

E is actually quite irrelevant. It has nothing to do with the consultant's plan for Algorpal to expand into pneumatic filters for biomedical research. In Evaluating an argument, we want to scrutinize the underlying assumptions/premises made by the author to reach the conclusion.

you made an important point. Nevertheless, many test takers mistakes "profits" from "the quantity" in E.

Re: Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters.   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2017, 19:44

Algorpal Industries produces high quality pneumatic filters.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap