Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [62]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Alien words not so "alien" [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
Dear bgs4gmat,

Can I ask you - why are you struggling with timing.

Good that you ask :-)

My current Verbal timings on an average are close to:

100+ seconds for SC
120-150 seconds for CR
6-7 minutes for Short Passages with 3Q
8-10 minutes for Long Passages with 4Q

Anything less then that drastically reduce the accuracy :-(

My observation about my SC problem is: If Q is testing only one or two grammatical concept i am good with it. But as soon as logical comparison, Parallelism, and Meaning Clarity join together to make my life tough, I find myself at loss :-(

I revising my SC concepts and other notes/flash cards.
After that i am planning to redo the VR2/OG12 and OG13 (Unique Q's).

Is that a sound plan?
Should i look at the GMAT Club Grammar book and give it a try? (or for that matter any other Concept Material)
I need a plan to crack these tougher SC problems.

Here is my raw data from last few MGMAT CAT's:

GMATPrep1 (22 July) Score 710 (Q48, V39)
SC 15Q (9 right, 6 wrong), All 6 wrong Q were tough and were testing multiple concepts.

CAT 2 (July 1st)
SC 15Q (6 right 9 wrong), All 9 wrong are from 700 800 level. Overall SC average time of 1 min 25 seconds. 100% wrong in comparison, meaning and parallelism.

CAT1 (June24th)
SC 15Q (8 right, 7 wrong), All of the 7 wrong are from 700 800 level difficulty. Overall SC average time of 1 min 21 seconds. 100% wrong in comparison and parallelism But 100% right in Meaning Questions.

In all of the practice tests till now, My RC and CR goes for a toss because of the jittery feeling i have after struggling with SC. I find it hard to concentrate on RC and CR if i feel i wasn't confident in the last few SC Q's. I gave a practice test with 100% RC and CR accuracy, without bothering about SC.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In our research the key reason that one takes longer to answer questions is lack of a solid foundation. For example, you may take longer to answer questions where logical comparison is involved because you are unable to quickly break a long sentence into its clauses. It could also be that the purpose of words such as "like" and "as" is not clear to you right away.

You need to figure our why (and where) you take longer to understand the intended meaning. This will tell you where you need to improve and allow you to use your time more efficiently. Just blindly taking another resource may not be advisable at this stage.

One more thing, attend my strategy session this weekend if you are curious to know how a solid foundation impacts timing. Look up the calendar bar for the link.

-Rajat
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
egmat, some help would be highly appreciated here
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-little-help-here-136569.html
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.
A. often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again
B. whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again
C. but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
D. who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again
E. then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity

so if the correct statement becomes
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status.
As far as i remember a rule says
independent clause, dependent clause -- correct construction
independent clause, independent clause --NOT correct
independent clause, FOR/AND/NOT/BUT/OR/YET/SO independent clause -- Correct construction
However in the corrected sentence we find
Independent Clause, BUT dependent clause.
Isnt this violating the rule?

Souvik,

First of all you are absolutely correct that the typically Comma + FANBOYS construction is used to connect TWO independent clauses. Secondly, you are correct in identifying that the second clause in the correct sentence is NOT an INDEPENDENT CLAUSE.

So why the disconnect between this "RULE" and the "Official Answer".
Because - this rule is more of a standard practice than a hard and fast rule. When I say hard and fast rule, I mean the rules such as SV must always agree in number, which relative pronoun modifiers should modify nouns or pronouns and not verbs or clauses, etc.
Just take a step back and understand why is it we use punctuation - we use punctuation so that the sentence is readable. In oral communication, we punctuate by varying pauses. In written communicates, we punctuate by using punctuation marks. For this purpose there are some general guidelines in English language that we should follow but at times there may be sentences in which we do not need any punctuation at all and in some other sentences we may need to punctuate even if the sentence does not technically break into independent clauses. (This sentence is an example of the sentence that is overly complex and is not punctuated well).

Now lets take a look at a few example sentences - all of which are CORRECT.

IC - marked in Blue
Phrases - marked in Pink
Punctuation - Marked in GREEN
1: Tom teaches in high school and attends part time Master's program.
2: During the week Tom teaches in school, and on the weekend he works as a freelance tutor.

Sentences 1 and 2 follow typical construction. No issues here at all.

3: During the week Tom teaches in school and on the weekend he works as a freelance tutor.

Sentence 3 does not use a comma to connect two independent clauses. Now this is fine since the two clauses are relatively short and the structure of both clauses is very similar. In fact there is no readability issue with this sentence without punctuation. So we can drop the comma in sentences such as these.

4. Tom teaches in high school in the suburban area on the eastern coast of Mississippi river during the weekdays so that he can financially support his family, and attends part time Master's program during the weekend so that he can accomplish his lifelong dream of getting a Master's degree.

Sentence 4 uses a comma even though what follows comma + and is not an independent clause. Now in this sentence we definitely need the comma to separate out the two portions of the sentences so that the intended meaning can be communicated in the first read of sentence itself. If comma will not be used then we may need to re-read the sentence to make sense out of it.

Now I am sure you will be thinking "so when do I know if I have to use comma + FANBOYS? How do I eliminate choices based on this?"

The answer is - You should not eliminate choices just based on the usage of comma + FANBOYS. First of all this punctuation "rule" is actually a GUIDELINE and a VERY IMPORTANT one since it helps you break the sentence down into smaller clauses. Secondly, as we saw in the official question in question and the example sentences, there are cases when we may or may not use comma. So make a note of following:

DO NOT USE PUNCTUATION ERRORS such as COMMA + FANBOYS to ELIMINATE ANSWER CHOICES IN the FIRST OR SECOND ELIMINATIONS. First use grammatical basis and meaning basis and then if you are down to final two choices and have already evaluated these for more deterministic grammar and meaning/logic based errors, then you may use this punctuation "error".

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO PUNCTUATION WHEN IT COMES TO USAGE OF MODIFIERS or CONNECTING ELEMENTS IN LISTS. See this article for more discussion on how to use verb-ing modifiers.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Payal
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Thank you for this valuable post. I need help on this:

Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.
Thank you for this valuable post.
What would be the best choice had both choice A and B begin with 'and'. can we ignore the 'have' before 'raised' for the reason that the 'have' on the previous verb could be common to the two verbs, reduced and raised. Any help please.

Recently implemented “shift-work equations” based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

(A) fatigue among shift workers, and have raised
(B) fatigue among shift workers, and raised
(C) and fatigue among shift workers while raising
(D) lowered fatigue among shift workers, and raised
(E) and fatigue among shift workers was lowered while raising
(E) in isolation and without contacts with Europeans longer than
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi there,

You ask an interesting question. If Choices A and B had “and” in their beginning, then both the choices would have been correct because in choice B, “have” can be remain understood before “raised”. Let me cite and official example here. Following is the Q#44 from OG Verbal 2 (Blue) with the correct answer choice D.

In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and (to) remain economically viable.

Notice how “to” is understood before “remain” as “to” already exists before “put” and the context of the sentence makes it clear that “to put” and “to remain” has to be parallel. So if we use “to” just before the first entity and choose to keep it understood for the second, then also it works fine.

Same can be applicable for “have” in the OG question at hand. The entities that should b parallel are "have reduced" and "have raised". So, we can use "have" in the beginning of the first entity and keep it understood in the beginning of the second entity.

However, in GMAT, only one and just one answer choice will be correct. The rest will have some error or the other on the basis of which you will be able to discard them and get to the correct one.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
I have a question about OG Verbal 2#103 question (the second question shown in the examples):
What is wrong with choice A?
I seem to find that it's correct....
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [1]
Send PM