It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:24

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All-included tour package brochure:

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 21

All-included tour package brochure: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 02:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:57) correct 56% (02:14) wrong based on 279 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

All-included tour package brochure: Tourists joining us on our "all-included" package to the Caribbean are making a wise choice. People who take the so-called "inexpensive" cruises offered by some companies are constantly encouraged to buy "extras" in the form of alcoholic beverages, special day-trips and even the use of the midnight buffet. These unsuspecting tourists often pay an above-average price for such "inexpensive" cruises.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the position presented in the all-included tour package brochure?

Tourists who choose to hire a yacht, and head for the Caribbean independent of any company, ultimately pay less than those who go on inexpensive cruises organised by tour providers.

An accounting calculation made for an "inexpensive" cruising company shows that the average payment per passenger is 5% higher at the end of the cruise when charged individually for a five o'clock buffet and a scuba diving course.

A marketing investigation shows that while more costly, tourists electing the "inexpensive" option tend to return to the same company for their next cruise in higher percentages than those who choose the "all-included" package.

A market assessment made for one of the large cruising companies shows that the tourist who pays a lower nominal fee, yet pays for many "extras", pays insignificantly more than the tourist who pays a higher rate for an "all-included" package.

A survey of customers who took cruises lasting more than two weeks shows that tourists that traveled with friends from home enjoyed themselves more than those that left alone or just as a couple.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Regards,
Kudos please..help me unlock the tests :)

Intern
Intern

Re: All-included tour package brochure: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 02:58
can someone explain on point D pls?

Regards,
Kudos please..help me unlock the tests :)

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
S

Kudos [?]: 2043 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 03:28
I commented on this problem on another forum:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/master-gmat- ... 86135.html

It's a poorly written question, and I don't think it's worth studying. It would be helpful if you could specify the source of these questions when you tag them.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2043 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2015, 06:28
IMO D should be correct

Can somebody post OE plz

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2015, 08:06
Hi,

The only viable option is B, which is the correct answer. Explanation below.

The 'All included' cruise staff are saying that their's is the best cruise in terms of economics.

We need to support the the stand of 'all included' staff.

[Assumption is...'All included' cruises are cheaper or more cost efficient than the 'inexpensive' cruise. The strengthener for this assumption will be either 1. 'All included' cruises do not charge any extra once the passenger is on board or 2. 'Inexpensive' charges extra once someone is on board]

Option A: Unrelated to the argument.

Option C: Weakener.

Option D: (Says in mathematically..., (Initial fee+ extra) of 'Inexpensive' < 'all included' cruise [Weakening the statement]

Option E: unrelated.

Only stands B. (Although the additional words such as scuba diving or is irrelevant or you can say are there to distract the reader)

Hope this helps.

target2015 wrote:
All-included tour package brochure: Tourists joining us on our "all-included" package to the Caribbean are making a wise choice. People who take the so-called "inexpensive" cruises offered by some companies are constantly encouraged to buy "extras" in the form of alcoholic beverages, special day-trips and even the use of the midnight buffet. These unsuspecting tourists often pay an above-average price for such "inexpensive" cruises.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the position presented in the all-included tour package brochure?

Tourists who choose to hire a yacht, and head for the Caribbean independent of any company, ultimately pay less than those who go on inexpensive cruises organised by tour providers.

An accounting calculation made for an "inexpensive" cruising company shows that the average payment per passenger is 5% higher at the end of the cruise when charged individually for a five o'clock buffet and a scuba diving course.

A marketing investigation shows that while more costly, tourists electing the "inexpensive" option tend to return to the same company for their next cruise in higher percentages than those who choose the "all-included" package.

A market assessment made for one of the large cruising companies shows that the tourist who pays a lower nominal fee, yet pays for many "extras", pays insignificantly more than the tourist who pays a higher rate for an "all-included" package.

A survey of customers who took cruises lasting more than two weeks shows that tourists that traveled with friends from home enjoyed themselves more than those that left alone or just as a couple.

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 113

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 05:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 94

GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 12:59
[quote="shriramvelamuri"]Hi,

The 'All included' cruise staff are saying that their's is the best cruise in terms of economics.

[Assumption is...'All included' cruises are cheaper or more cost efficient than the 'inexpensive' cruise. The strengthener for this assumption will be either 1. 'All included' cruises do not charge any extra once the passenger is on board or 2. 'Inexpensive' charges extra once someone is on board]

Option D: (Says in mathematically..., (Initial fee+ extra) of 'Inexpensive' < 'all included' cruise [Weakening the statement]

Only stands B. (Although the additional words such as scuba diving or is irrelevant or you can say are there to distract the reader)

Hope this helps.

[quote="target2015"]All-included tour package brochure: Tourists joining us on our "all-included" package to the Caribbean are making a wise choice. People who take the so-called "inexpensive" cruises offered by some companies are constantly encouraged to buy "extras" in the form of alcoholic beverages, special day-trips and even the use of the midnight buffet. These unsuspecting tourists often pay an above-average price for such "inexpensive" cruises.

hi shriramvelamuri,
In D they say that the tourist who pays a lower nominal fee pays insignificantly more than the tourist who pays a higher rate for an "all included", with that is not enough to say that the all included is cheaper?

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 13:00
shriramvelamuri wrote:
Hi,

Hope this helps.

target2015 wrote:

hi shriramvelamuri,
In D they say that the tourist who pays a lower nominal fee pays insignificantly more than the tourist who pays a higher rate for an "all included", with that is not enough to say that the all included is cheaper?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 110

GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
I think 'insignificantly' is the key word in D and hence it is not the right answer? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 110

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 256

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 20:59
Option D - A tourist who pays a nominal fees + money for the extra services, ends up paying slightly (insignificantly) more than a tourist who pays for an all included package. Thus, at the end he does pay more than what an all included tour would cost. Hence, this statement is actually strengthening the argument.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 256

Stern Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 23:22
The key in ruling out D is the 'insignificant' part. It's basically saying that while the cost inexpensive package is greater than the all-included one, it's hardly significant, which in a way weakens the argument

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 58

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 09:01
wannabemba28 wrote:
The key in ruling out D is the 'insignificant' part. It's basically saying that while the cost inexpensive package is greater than the all-included one, it's hardly significant, which in a way weakens the argument

Yes , the key word here is insignificant which can be missed while reading :(

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 58

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 499

All-included tour package brochure: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 05:46
In B,

The highlighted part distracted me. I was thinking maybe only if passenger chooses five o'clock buffet and a scuba diving course, the passenger will end up paying 5% higher. But If passenger does not choose those options, the cost could be more than "all-included" or less than "all-included", we never know.

Please correct me if i am missing anything.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 499

All-included tour package brochure:   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2017, 05:46

All-included tour package brochure:

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap