Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Status:If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: All January GMAT Test Takers [#permalink]
@SyedSan

Good luck! Just as an FYI, you will NOT be able to use the restroom during those 15 minutes after a section unless you raise your hand and have someone come get you. Make sure that you get back before your timer runs out so you can submit your last question. You can't leave your desk until you are on break until the test proctor comes and gets you. So you will have 8 minutes total for food, drink, restroom, and anything else you need from your locker. This is why you want to be careful what you drink, b/c using the restroom could cost you 3-5 minutes in a section. You also want to learn where the restroom is before your test. Trust me, the break will go by VERY fast, so make sure to practice the 8 minute break on your practice tests (after both the AWA AND Quant).

Also, if you have 15 minutes left after the quant section, and you're not scoring Q50 or Q51, I would recommend that you spend a little bit more time checking your answers to questions, and making sure you get as many right as you can. I'd rather have no time left at the end of the section with a higher score then 15 min left with a lower score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
2 days to go! I'm intensively working on my Verbal. My RC skills have improved a lot as I started to make a sketch and to take notes during reading! I have only 0-1-2 mistakes in RC. My SC has improved as well thanks to MGMAT SC book. My biggest problem is CR, I still have lots of mistakes in them (5-6-7), and that makes my verbal score much worse!

I have read MGMAT CR book several times, but despite this fact I still think that CR is really subjective and I can't choose between ACs for sure! I usually do not take notes during CR problems, but now I think I will try this technique, because it has worked with RC too! I am only afraid that i wouldn't be able to practice it enough till the exam (I have to work tomorrow) thus I will be out of time on Verbal!

What do you think about Diagramming on CR problems? Do you think it is worth, or should I find another way to improve my CR skills?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I don't use diagramming, simply because I haven't practiced with it. Might work for you. But, you need to make it a habit and would have to solve all your future CR practice questions with that approach.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMATLA wrote:
@SyedSan

Good luck! Just as an FYI, you will NOT be able to use the restroom during those 15 minutes after a section unless you raise your hand and have someone come get you. Make sure that you get back before your timer runs out so you can submit your last question. You can't leave your desk until you are on break until the test proctor comes and gets you. So you will have 8 minutes total for food, drink, restroom, and anything else you need from your locker. This is why you want to be careful what you drink, b/c using the restroom could cost you 3-5 minutes in a section. You also want to learn where the restroom is before your test. Trust me, the break will go by VERY fast, so make sure to practice the 8 minute break on your practice tests (after both the AWA AND Quant).

Also, if you have 15 minutes left after the quant section, and you're not scoring Q50 or Q51, I would recommend that you spend a little bit more time checking your answers to questions, and making sure you get as many right as you can. I'd rather have no time left at the end of the section with a higher score then 15 min left with a lower score.

GMATLA,

Thank you so much for giving so much thought to my problem!

I generally score 50 or 51 in Q, thus not so worried there but yes it'd be very important to effectively utilize the 15min and be back on the seat to submit last question. Also, U'r right about 8min being very less time to do so much.

btw I've not seen anybody worrying much about AWA, still I wanted to find out whether I would be able get a 5+ using chineeseburned template - I'm sure you have pretty good experience by now. Here is a sample argument that I worked on mgmat-5:

The following appeared in an article in a consumer-electronics magazine:

"Company X's latest model of digital camera to be released next month, the TR12, is being promoted as the most portable, user-friendly digital camera available, and also an excellent bargain. It can be expected to live up to these claims, because Company X's previous model, the TR11, was universally lauded as setting the standard in these areas last year."
Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
The argument claims that company X's latest model, TR12, is most portable, user-friendly digital camera, and is on excellent bargain. It also claims that, TR12 will live up to the expectations because TR11 set a new standard last year. Stated in this way, the argument relies on several assumptions and is rather weak and unconvincing as it fails to mention several key factors that would have justified the conclusion.

Firstly, the argument claims that TR12 is most portable, and without any substance to its claim this argument is very weak; questions such as what makes TR12 most portable or is there no other company in the market with more portable digital camera than TR12 would automatically arise in anyone's mind. Failing to present any supporting evidence, this argument is very weak.

Secondly, the argument states that TR12 is user friendly however it doesn't support its claim with any evidence, survey report or any kind of fact; the argument clearly makes a leap of faith and goes on to claim that the product is available on excellent bargain - again it fails to strengthen its claim with any discounted numbers or new prices, or what makes the offer an excellent bargain. It uses ill defined terminology and doesn't support its claim or define the terminology.

Finally, argument goes on to claim that, since TR11 set the stnadard last year, so TR12 will live up to the new set expectations. Undobtedly, the argument makes a leap of faith and fails to present a big assumption. Questions such as, is TR12 a better version of TR11 automatically arises in customers mind. If it's, what makes TR12 better than TR11 and how will it surpass or live up to the already high set standard. For instance, Windows 2007 was touted a lot by microsoft as better version than Windows 2003; a lot of people believed the initial marketing message only to realize later that windows 2003 is better than windows 2007 - many of these switched back to windows 2003. Hence, even if TR12 is an upgraded version of TR11 we can not possibly conclude that TR12 will live up to the claims because TR11 set the standard last year.

For above presented reasons: most portable, user friendly, excellent bargain and living up to the expectation - one is left with the impression that the argument is more of wishful thinking or judgment than a fact. The argument can be made a lot stronger if author present supporting facts/evidence for each of the claims it made.

In order to assess the merit of a particular situation, we need all the facts supporting or weakening the situation. In this case, the argument makes many assumptions, fails to support these assumptions and hence is a very weak and unconvincing argument.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got my GMAT exam today and scored 690! (Q47, V38) I hoped that I could achieve 700 but I'm quite happy with that also if I compare it to the time allocated for learning (I had a month, but could intensively learn only 7 days).

Thank you for your help and good luck for those who are planning to take the exam!
I hope that I can help you in the future!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
All January GMAT Test Takers [#permalink]
- Edited -
- Edited -
- Edited -
- Edited -

Originally posted by BrainFog on 03 Jan 2012, 12:35.
Last edited by BrainFog on 11 Mar 2015, 02:58, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sanjuro9 wrote:
Jan 3rd.
Targeting - Not sure where? Struggling with timing at the moment.

Hope to have a better prediction of where I may end up by next week :)

Feeling like shooting myself. 720 (Q51, V36). Had almost a brain freeze 20 questions into verbal. Guessed one full RC and more than 3 CR and 2 SC. Perhaps more than 10 questions in verbal.

Would definitely retake in a month. Not because this is a bad score, but because I know I wasn't able to complete the exam (so to speak).

I 'll definitely write a detailed debrief in a day or two.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys,
My test was not good today; I dropped dead to 700(51Q, 34V). I'll retake....I've been thinking a lot on what I did wrong and I think having coffee before the verbal session was not a good practice that I followed throughout my preparation but couldn't follow today.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I got 630 (Q40 V36), I have no clue what happened in the quantitative section as I felt good throughout the test. Won't be retaking anytime soon as I plan to go to graduate school in a few years. I just wanted to get the GMAT out of the way but I guess I didn't.

I will write a debrief once I get my official score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Wharton '15
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Test Date: 1/12/12

Target Score: 740+

Practice Test Scores and Materials:
MGMAT1: 700 (Q43, V42)
Kaplan CD 1: 640
MGMAT2: 670 (Q45, V36)
GMAT PREP 1: 730
MGMAT3: 760 (Q49, V45)
MGMAT4: 780 (Q51, V45)

Any Last Minute Questions: How can I make that last practice test count for the real thing? Please?

Any Last Minute Advice: I'll tell you if I actually do well on this thing...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Biscix1 wrote:
Test Date: 1/12/12

Any Last Minute Questions: How can I make that last practice test count for the real thing? Please?

Take the test outside home. Find a library.
Take the test approximately around the same time your actual test is scheduled.
Don't take more than 8 minute breaks.
Write AWA.
Eat/drink the same stuff you are planning to eat/drink on your test day.

Keep your cool. I am sure you 'll hit a great score. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Test date 18th jan
i am really worried with my scores
Target 700+

kaplan-670 q50 v28
Mgmat-620 q39 v35
Gmat prep1- 620 q46 v30

My scores are varying lie anything..The biggest problem for me is keeping my mind fresh during verbal as when i see the review i get them all right..But during the test i cant concentrate on verbal and feel sleepy..What should i do? Please help me
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
@raghavmehra777

I would recommend that you follow these tips to help with Stamina! 10-tips-to-improve-your-score-app-with-no-extra-studying-124393.html

You also need to practice studying for long periods of time, and not checking answers frequently. To help with Stamina, I would recommend doing 75 minute study sessions with 8 minute breaks. Especially doing 30-40 questions in a row with no break, timed, and no chance to check answers. Stamina is huge, and if you are feeling tired then you are not scoring at your 100%. You need to do more practice tests, including awa, and try to refresh yourself on breaks. Do jumping jacks, get the blood flowing, and move around. this will help fresh your body and mind.

Also, when you feel your mind wondering in any section, especially at the end, close your eyes, take a few DEEP breaths. Sometimes people cover there mouths or actually forget to breath during the test. The lack of oxygen will deplete your energy. I recommend that you take 5 DEEP breathes and attacking the next question. I also recommend that you do not put your elbows on your desk, or rest your head and your hand. This can actually trick your mind into feeling sleepy. Sit on the edge of your chair, straight up, and attack the next question.

Also, to help your motivation, remember how important each question is. 3 correct answers in a row can help boost your score by even up to 50 points! So keep working hard, and Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hey,

I just took the GMAT today and got a disappointing grade of 600 (Q48 V26), I never thought I would get that grade even though awkwardly I felt I did well on the english and bad on the math. It is really disappointing to get such a grade. I guess now I need to really study for the english which is apparently my major weakness. My prep score were as follows:

Kaplan (510, 590, 590, 650)

GMAT prep (610)

and MGMAT (660) (Q45, V35)

Anyone could recommend a gd strategy to improve the english to atleast 36-40?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Wharton '15
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Albuloushi wrote:
Hey,

I just took the GMAT today and got a disappointing grade of 600 (Q48 V26), I never thought I would get that grade even though awkwardly I felt I did well on the english and bad on the math. It is really disappointing to get such a grade. I guess now I need to really study for the english which is apparently my major weakness. My prep score were as follows:

Kaplan (510, 590, 590, 650)

GMAT prep (610)

and MGMAT (660) (Q45, V35)

Anyone could recommend a gd strategy to improve the english to atleast 36-40?

Hey Albuloushi,

The verbal is a lot harder to improve than the math. I posted some suggestions on another forum the other day...hopefully this can help:

need-help-to-get-in-the-690-730-range-125642.html#p1026261
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V46
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hey guys. I took the GMAT today and ended up with a 710 (Q42 V46). I thought I did better than that on the Quant, but I'm generally happy with the result. Did any of you guys take part in the voluntary Integrated Reasoning research at the end of the exam? We're supposed to get something back for that right? I read that last time they would refund something like $20 of your test fee, and possibly the whole $250. Anyone know what the deal is?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 578 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
pataiz wrote:
I got my GMAT exam today and scored 690! (Q47, V38) I hoped that I could achieve 700 but I'm quite happy with that also if I compare it to the time allocated for learning (I had a month, but could intensively learn only 7 days).

Thank you for your help and good luck for those who are planning to take the exam!
I hope that I can help you in the future!

Congrats on your score.My gmat is on 28 and would like to know the length of RC that you got ...How many lines or paras were there and how was the complexity
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4