Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [26]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [5]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31876 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [1]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: All of the athletes who will win a medal in competition have spent man [#permalink]
Bookmarks
this questions shows that outside knowledge cannot be applied to gmat.
test takers should only stick to/with what is written in the passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Re: All of the athletes who will win a medal in competition have spent man [#permalink]
Kudos
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
All of the athletes who will win a medal in competition have spent many hours training under an elite coach. Michael is coached by one of the world’s elite coaches; therefore it follows logically that Michael will win a medal in competition.

The argument above logically depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Michael has not suffered any major injuries in the past year.
(B) Michael’s competitors did not spend as much time in training as Michael did.
(C) Michael’s coach trained him for many hours.
(D) Most of the time Michael spent in training was productive.
(E) Michael performs as well in competition as he does in training.

I got stuck between C and E. I feel the argument will collapse if we negate option C.
Am I correct/wrong? Please explain?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make this question better we should modify a sentence little

All of the athletes who will win a medal in competition have spent many hours training under an elite coach --> necessary condition
All of the athletes who have spent many hours training under an elite coach will win a medal in competition --> sufficient condition
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31876 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
All of the athletes who will win a medal in competition have spent man [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMAT0010 wrote:
Hi,
I'm confused !!!
Between B and C, I chose B because of this logic:
Suppose Mike is coached under an elite trainer and does spend many hours. The information in the passage tells us that Mike needs to spend many hours training . But is that sufficient enough to guarantee that he would win? What about his competitors? What if they practice longer than him? What if Mike spends half the time they've spent training? The logic only talks about the hours required in order to win the competition so.. what's wrong?
Please correct my logic if you find any flaws :)
GMATNinja, nightblade354

Of course the logic in the reasoning is a bit flawed or the question could have been better framed.

But B will not be the answer.

There are 2 requirements - a) many hours of training and b) trg under elite coach.
Now the hours one spends is not inter related to the hours the other spends. It may be both spend many hours but others have spent lesser number of hours training when compared to Mike. But still both meet the requirement (a)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hiii

The only thing matters here is whether Michael will be able to convert several hours of practice under elite coach into a success in tournament.

The supporting premise is ...who will win a medal in competition have spent many hours training under an elite coach.

If he doesn't, the argument conclusion falls apart.

Hence E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q43 V28
GPA: 3.52
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Negation is fun!!! This is actually the first time I am applying negation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
E need not be true.

Neg C breaks the conclusion as it contradicts the given argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
There are three parts which are important in this sentence -

Premise: All of the athletes who will win a medal in the competition have spent many hours training under an elite coach.

Michael is coached by one of the world’s elite coaches;

Conclusion: therefore it follows logically that Michael will win a medal in the competition. ( this is based on the assumption that he will spend "many hours training under the coach")

(A) Michael has not suffered any major injuries in the past year.[Out of Scope: No mention of injuries]

(B) Michael’s competitors did not spend as much time in training as Michael did.[Out of Scope: Nothing has been mentioned about the comparison of hours spent by others in training. ]

(C) Michael’s coach trained him for many hours. [This is in line with our pre-thinking and has to be the CORRECT answer.]

(D) Most of the time Michael spent in training was productive. [Out of scope : No mention of productiveness in the passage]

(E) Michael performs as well in competition as he does in training.[Out of Scope: No mention of performance comparison in training and competition]

Correct answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Since the question explicitly specifies to win a medal one needs to have elite coach + many hours training under him .. hence since Michael already has an elite coach he needs many hours of training to win the medal. Hence C

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
I think it is the conditional reasoning
All of the athletes who will win a medal in competition have spent many hours training under an elite coach
= The athletes who win a medal in competition, they must have spent many hours training under an elite coach.
Sufficient condition: win a medal in competition
Necessary condition: study
=> Every answer choice that does not state this necessary condition will necessarily serve as assumption for the conclusion. For example,
A. Michael performs as well in competition as he does in training => But if he did not spend enough time training for the competition, he won't win
While it could be true, it does not have to be true.
Hope it helps!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
I think it is the conditional reasoning
All of the athletes who will win a medal in competition have spent many hours training under an elite coach
= The athletes who win a medal in competition, they must have spent many hours training under an elite coach.
Sufficient condition: win a medal in competition
Necessary condition: many hours training
=> Any answer choices that does not state this necessary condition will necessarily serve as assumption for the conclusion. For example,
A. Michael performs as well in competition as he does in training => But if he did not spend enough time training for the competition, he won't win
While it could be true, it does not have to be true.
Kudos if it helps ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
All of the athletes who will win a medal in competition have spent many hours training under an elite coach. Michael is coached by one of the world’s elite coaches; therefore it follows logically that Michael will win a medal in competition.

(A) Michael has not suffered any major injuries in the past year.
(B) Michael’s competitors did not spend as much time in training as Michael did.
(C) Michael’s coach trained him for many hours.
(D) Most of the time Michael spent in training was productive.
(E) Michael performs as well in competition as he does in training.

I got stuck between C and E. I feel the argument will collapse if we negate option C.
Am I correct/wrong? Please explain?

(E) Does not necessarily have to be true. It is possible that he does not perform well in the competition but he still win the medal because of the elite level of his ability.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Hi,
I'm confused !!!
Between B and C, I chose B because of this logic:
Suppose Mike is coached under an elite trainer and does spend many hours. The information in the passage tells us that Mike needs to spend many hours training . But is that sufficient enough to guarantee that he would win? What about his competitors? What if they practice longer than him? What if Mike spends half the time they've spent training? The logic only talks about the hours required in order to win the competition so.. what's wrong?
Please correct my logic if you find any flaws :)
GMATNinja, nightblade354
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Ok , so we can't infer details like this directly, but we can give a sure shot answer just from E.
Understood :D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts