GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 19:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 07:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:52) correct 31% (01:55) wrong based on 494 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label themselves conservative, liberal, or middle-of-the-road politically. Of the students, 25 percent labelled themselves conservative, 24 percent labelled themselves liberal, and 51 percent labelled themselves middle-of-the-road. When asked about a particular set of issues, however, 77 percent of the students endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position.

If all of the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) All students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.

(B) More students who labelled themselves middle-of-the road than students who labelled themselves liberal opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.

(C) The majority of students who labelled themselves middle-of-the-road opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.

(D) Some students who labelled themselves conservative endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.

(E) Some students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a conservative position on that set of issues.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 06:52
adityadon wrote:
Unable to understand this question.
Initally 25% said they are conservative , 24% liberal , and 51 % said Middle.
But with specific set 77% of them gave answer which is considered as liberal ..
Is my understanding of premise correct ?

Also please provide explanation for answers .

Yes, your understanding of the premise is absolutely correct.

The answer is OA D.

Reason:
Those who support i.e. liberal = 24%
Those who don't support i.e. conservative = 25 %
Those who are in the "Maybe" zone = 51%

Now, when specific set is given, 77% of the total support the issue i.e. they are liberal.
When we look at the figures above, what can we assume??

We have to consider the maximize condition here.
Say, all of the 24% of liberal guys support the specific set of issue and all of the "Maybe" zone guys also support the issue, then the total percentage of people supporting he issue will be 24% + 51% = 75%. The value is still short by 2%. So the remaining 2% must have come from the guys who are conservative.

Hope it clears your doubt.
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 09:21
All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label themselves conservative, liberal, or middle-of-the-road politically. Of the students, 25 percent labelled themselves conservative, 24 percent labelled themselves liberal, and 51 percent labelled themselves middle-of-the-road. When asked about a particular set of issues, however, 77 percent of the students endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position.

If all of the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) All students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.Not necessarily. Maybe 25(all conservative)+51(middle of the road)+1(liberal), that is one 1% liberals endorsed this

(B) More students who labelled themselves middle-of-the road than students who labelled themselves liberal opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.Maybe all 23 of those who opposed the liberal stand were "liberals" in the initial survey. This would mean none of the "middle of the road" opposed the stand

(C) The majority of students who labelled themselves middle-of-the-road opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.Maybe all the "conservatives" of the initial survey were the 23 who opposed the liberal stand, hence none of the "niddle of the road" opposed the liberal stand

(D) Some students who labelled themselves conservative endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.Firstly, I think this should be "atleast some". I initially rejected this option because of this small nuance. Otherwise this option is good. Now even if we consider that all the "liberals" and "middle of the road" voted in favour of the liberal stand, they would add up to 24+51=75; therefore, 2 of the "conservatives" voted in favour of the liberal stand. Another scenario could be that ALL "conservatives" voted in favour of the liberal stand. So we are looking at a range of 2(categorised as "some) to 25 (categorised as "all")

(E) Some students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a conservative position on that set of issues.OFS. We are not given any conservative issue's statistics to analyse.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 01:13
Unable to understand this question.
Initally 25% said they are conservative , 24% liberal , and 51 % said Middle.
But with specific set 77% of them gave answer which is considered as liberal ..
Is my understanding of premise correct ?

Also please provide explanation for answers .

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Director
Director
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 07:57
this question can be solved by use of mathematical logic (venn diagrams possibly)
as the students have to take one of the 3 possible stands conservative, liberal, or middle-of-the-road politically, it means neither value is 0 %
only conservative = 25 %
only liberal = 24 %
middle-of-the-road politically = 51 %
but there is a contradiction " 77 percent of the students endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position "
now if we consider the worst case scenario that middle-of-the-road politically and only liberal support the position
i.e. 51% + 24 % = 75 %
we are still short 2 % which would have definitely come from the only conservative students
option D states exactly what we are trying to deduce and so its the correct answer

+1 kudos if you like the solution
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: International Business, Finance

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 03:15
AmoyV wrote:

(A) All students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.Not necessarily. Maybe 25(all conservative)+51(middle of the road)+1(liberal), that is one 1% liberals endorsed this

(B) More students who labelled themselves middle-of-the road than students who labelled themselves liberal opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.Maybe all 23 of those who opposed the liberal stand were "liberals" in the initial survey. This would mean none of the "middle of the road" opposed the stand

(C) The majority of students who labelled themselves middle-of-the-road opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.Maybe all the "conservatives" of the initial survey were the 23 who opposed the liberal stand, hence none of the "niddle of the road" opposed the liberal stand

(D) Some students who labelled themselves conservative endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.Firstly, I think this should be "atleast some". I initially rejected this option because of this small nuance. Otherwise this option is good. Now even if we consider that all the "liberals" and "middle of the road" voted in favour of the liberal stand, they would add up to 24+51=75; therefore, 2 of the "conservatives" voted in favour of the liberal stand. Another scenario could be that ALL "conservatives" voted in favour of the liberal stand. So we are looking at a range of 2(categorised as "some) to 25 (categorised as "all")

(E) Some students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a conservative position on that set of issues.OFS. We are not given any conservative issue's statistics to analyse.

While selecting D as the answer are we not assuming that "middle of the road" voted in favour of the liberal stand because it is nowhere mentioned in option D. While i read option D my liberal count came out to be 24+25 which is not equal to 71.
Eventually, i did not select any answer option because my total did not reach 71 until i assume something, but do we really need to assume this far that all "middle of the road" voted in favour of the liberal stand?
Please share your thoughts! :roll:
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 03:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label &nbs [#permalink] 31 Oct 2018, 03:40

All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap