It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 20:38

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 18:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8330 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 07:24
Nitin
After all, how can the officials find the truth by just looking at the hospitals; if only when they go deep into the affairs they can know the facts and that is the investigation. It is not unusual to write so. For example, we often say that an enquiry into the tragedy revealed this and that or a probe by an endoscope confirmed a tumor in the throat etc; we don't mention the agents of the probe or the enquiry. The important thing is the result of the investigation and not who conducted the investigation. Therefore, we can accept the investigation as the subject.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8330 [0], given: 366

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2016, 14:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 08:33
dhruv224 wrote:
Can we start a new clause with "that" after a comma???

Indeed...since the investigation found 3 things, a comma must separate them.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 04:29
amitdgr wrote:
arorag wrote:
Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect patients by reducing the grueling hours worked by medical residents, twelve hospitals have been investigated by state medical officials, finding that all twelve consistently break the laws, many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work more than 95 hours a week.

A. twelve hospitals have been investigated by state medical officials, finding that all twelve consistently break the laws, many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work

B. an investigation by state medical officials of twelve hospitals have found all twelve consistently breaking the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, with more than half the surgical residents working

C. an investigation of twelve hospitals by state medical officials has found that all twelve consistently break the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work

D. twelve hospitals were investigated by state medical officials who found all twelve breaking the laws, with many residents working longer than 24 hours straight, and more than half the surgical residents work

E. an investigation by state medical officials has found that, of twelve hospitals, all twelve consistently break the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, with more than half the surgical residents working

A and D are passive.

B illogically says that the investigation was carried out by officials of 12 hospitals.
E is awkward.

is it C ?

Please underline the SC question before posting.

So what if A and D are in passive? Is dat enough to discard an answer choice?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 57

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2016, 14:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
enasni wrote:
amitdgr wrote:
arorag wrote:
Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect patients by reducing the grueling hours worked by medical residents, twelve hospitals have been investigated by state medical officials, finding that all twelve consistently break the laws, many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work more than 95 hours a week.

A. twelve hospitals have been investigated by state medical officials, finding that all twelve consistently break the laws, many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work

B. an investigation by state medical officials of twelve hospitals have found all twelve consistently breaking the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, with more than half the surgical residents working

C. an investigation of twelve hospitals by state medical officials has found that all twelve consistently break the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work

D. twelve hospitals were investigated by state medical officials who found all twelve breaking the laws, with many residents working longer than 24 hours straight, and more than half the surgical residents work

E. an investigation by state medical officials has found that, of twelve hospitals, all twelve consistently break the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, with more than half the surgical residents working

A and D are passive.

B illogically says that the investigation was carried out by officials of 12 hospitals.
E is awkward.

is it C ?

Please underline the SC question before posting.

So what if A and D are in passive? Is dat enough to discard an answer choice?

No, construction in passive voice is not enough to eliminate a choice.

Why A is wrong?
A present participle modifier (-ing) refers to either the entire previous clause or the subject of the previous clause.
Here the present participle modifier " finding that all twelve ....." erroneously refers to the subject of the previous clause "twelve hospitals". "Twelve hospitals" did not find, "state medical officials" did. Therefore, "state medical officers" should have been the subject of the previous clause rather than " twelve hospitals".

Why D is wrong?
The preposition "with" introduces two examples how the laws were broken. Both these examples should be made parallel. Since the first example has a gerund with an -ing ending ("working"), the second should also be a gerund with an -ing ending. However the second example is a verb ("work").

Kudos [?]: 3636 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 00:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello Experts,
Thank you for the explanations but I just cannot get 1 question of my mind - How can an investigation find something (on its own)? I ruled out option C first, thinking that it has to be the people doing the investigation who find whatever they have to.
Kindly help me understand what am I missing here?

Thanks in advance! :)

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [3], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 14:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Nab77 wrote:
Hello Experts,
Thank you for the explanations but I just cannot get 1 question of my mind - How can an investigation find something (on its own)? I ruled out option C first, thinking that it has to be the people doing the investigation who find whatever they have to.

This is official GMAT question. Thus, simply keep in mind that GMAT allows the usage " investigation has found". The following example is somewhat similar:

Investigation has revealed that....

One may argue that investigation on its own did not reveal anything - the investigators did. Yet the above usage is valid. Similarly Investigation has found... is also valid as per GMAT.

Kudos [?]: 3636 [3], given: 22

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 23:23
sayantanc2k wrote:
Nab77 wrote:
Hello Experts,

This is official GMAT question. Thus, simply keep in mind that GMAT allows the usage " investigation has found". The following example is somewhat similar:

Investigation has revealed that....

One may argue that investigation on its own did not reveal anything - the investigators did. Yet the above usage is valid. Similarly Investigation has found... is also valid as per GMAT.

Sure this helps! Thank you for taking the time out to explain :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 06:26
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.25
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 09:21
arorag wrote:

That, That and that should have been there.. That in the middle is missing.. So, A is wrong

B- Investigation.. has..not have - Wrong

C- That, That, and that ... COrrect

D: Passiive

E- Arggghh No...!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 71

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 408

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 00:20
arorag wrote:

choiice D offer the typical meaning error of gmat. this choice contain no grammartical error but offer strange meaning.
"and more than half..." is a clause which grammatically is parralel with "twelve hospitals were investigated". but these two meanings can not be paralel logically. the two ideas is parallel grammatically but can not be parallel logically. this is one mistake.
second mistake is that
"who found all twelve..." is grammatical but offer strange meaning. this mean only those official who found the mistake do investigation. this meaning is absurd. the correct meaning is that the official do investigation and find the mistake but not that the official find the mistake and then do investigation.

a choice grammatical but illogic is the fovourite of gmat. keep it in mine and win the game.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 408

Re: Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2017, 00:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 52 posts ] 

Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap