It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 22:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 791 [2], given: 11

Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2011, 17:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (00:56) correct 38% (00:58) wrong based on 1030 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven, mainly because microwave ovens offer a fast and convenient way of cooking and reheating food. Indeed, it has become a standard appliance in most households. Studies have shown, however, that microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has occasionally resulted in serious injury. Because of this, some consumer advocates argue that microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument of the consumer advocates?

a.Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking.
b.There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens.
c.Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”
d.There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance.
e.Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens.

Need to clarify an imp concept. Would appreciate you responses. Will provide oa later.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Kudos [?]: 791 [2], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 4

Re: Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2011, 21:15
narrowed down to b n c

c mentions "only". i ll go with b

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 13:58
ajit257 wrote:
Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven, mainly because microwave ovens offer a fast and convenient way of cooking and reheating food. Indeed, it has become a standard appliance in most households. Studies have shown, however, that microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has occasionally resulted in serious injury. Because of this, some consumer advocates argue that microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument of the consumer advocates?

b.There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens.
c.Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”
e.Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens.

Need to clarify an imp concept. Would appreciate you responses. Will provide oa later.

A: outside the scope
B: only a repetition of the evidence shown by the consumer
D: weakens the argument
E: outside the scope

=> C: microwave ovens are not totally safe (fact) and since there is no other criterion by which they can be judged to be acceptable as standard, the consumer advocates are right.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 14:27
C +1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9277 [0], given: 1168

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 15:51

Kudos [?]: 9277 [0], given: 1168

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 791 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 16:34
OA is C. But i have a question to ask. I was told that choices that contain strong words like 'only' are mostly wrong choices so can someone help me out over here so i don't make this mistake again.

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Kudos [?]: 791 [0], given: 11

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9277 [1], given: 1168

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
ajit257 wrote:
OA is C. But i have a question to ask. I was told that choices that contain strong words like 'only' are mostly wrong choices so can someone help me out over here so i don't make this mistake again.

fair reflection.

is correct what you say in general, but sometimes the context is also important.

For istance: what you say could be used when you have two choices and this strategy can make the difference, but in this case we have ONE choice that overall is logic; hence is not important that there is an extreme word.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9277 [1], given: 1168

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 23:00
(С)
but i also read that such strong version with words like "only" tend to be incorrect.
Thanks carcass for mentioning context.

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2011, 00:46
ajit257 wrote:

The problem is "are mostly wrong", which means not always. Here it's the word "only" that makes the difference.
I guess you should not use this strategy without trying to understand the context as carcass advised you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2012, 16:28
IMO c because it links together how what criteria is considered safe.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 5

Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 12-17-2014

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2014, 00:31
This post received
KUDOS
C is the correct answer.. 'B' gives only an example of how a person may get injured...

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Healthcare, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2014, 11:10
Can someone please help me answer this question?I cant figure it out (even after reading the explanation :( )

A) Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking.
B) There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens.
C) Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”
D) There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance.
E) Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2014, 21:18
Difficult to completely rule out option 'B'. It provides credence to the conclusion and makes the conclusion more believable. Also, option C closes the logical leap from "microwave ovens are not completely safe" to "microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance" and provides an inherent assumption. Marked C but, need help with B.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [1], given: 111

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2014, 23:11
This post received
KUDOS

Pr.1: MO has become a standard appliance
Pr.2: MOs are not completely safe as has sometimes resulted into serious injuries.
Conc.: CAs: MOs should not be accepted as standard appliances until they are certified as completely safe.
=> Complete Safety --> Certification of Standard Appliance

For Cause-effect Strengthen type Questions, If X-->Y then,
1. only X shall lead to Y [ X --> Y ]
2. Y does not lead to X [ Y -/-> X ]
3. No other factor leads to Y [ Z -/-> Y ]
4. Non-occurrence of X leads to non-occurrence of Y [ -X --> -Y ]
5. Data given in the stem is Correct i.e. no error in data provided such as survey, sampling, group etc.

Now, for said Question, we can count it as Cause-effect type strengthen type. Therefore, whatever choice reinforces the idea further will be correct answer. Only 'C' seems to qualify for that.

a. Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking - Question is about safety of MO and not side-effects of MOs in our daily life hence Irrelevant.
b. There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens - IMO this options seems to weaken instead strengthening the argument because it is saying super-heated liquid are responsible for injuries or burn and not some fault in MO.It might be the case the uses did not read manual properly or he did not know how to operate the oven and he set high temp. which caused injury.

c. Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.” - Go with one of our pre-thinkings that Only X-->Y hence Correct.
d. There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance - If this is not helping the conclusion then in someway it is breaking the conclusion.
e. Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens - OFS

Correct me if I am wrong in my reasoning or else give kudos if It helps you in someway.... :)

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Kudos [?]: 91 [1], given: 111

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2014, 09:11
dinesh86
As per your reasoning for option B - because it is saying super-heated liquid are responsible for injuries or burn and not some fault in MO. The premise never says that there is some fault in MO. MOs use occasionally results in serious injury. Here the author is talking about all types of uses. Premise- microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has occasionally resulted in serious injury. So, even if the user did not read the manual or has set the MO at high temperature he still uses the MO. So, it doesn't weaken the conclusion.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 00:27
Conclusion: microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe.
Premises:
- microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has occasionally resulted in serious injury
- every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven, mainly because microwave ovens offer a fast and convenient way of cooking and reheating food
- it has become a standard appliance in most households
The gap here is between the "standard" criteria and the safety thing. C fills the gap.
C is CORRECT.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17594 [2], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 20:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
(B) People have been burnt by the super-heated liquids. I don't think that's the microwaves fault. One can get burnt by super-heated liquids no matter what appliance they have come out from. The statement doesn't say that the people got burnt because of the microwave per se. So, this option is incorrect. Incorrect

(C) Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.” (You have to assume this statement to be true- just as you do for all other strengthen type questions).
This is the only option that strengthens the advocates position. The advocate says that the microwave oven should be accepted as a standard appliance only if it can be certified as completely safe. Option (C) says there is one and only 1 criteria to mark an appliance as "standard" i.e. it should be absolutely safe. So that means there is no other way to classify an appliance as standard. Therefore, this statement strengthens the advocates position. Correct

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17594 [2], given: 1986

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 66

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 13:31
ajit257 wrote:

I am sorry for such a stupid question. I just reviewed concepts of CR and thought third party views are not conclusions. Can you please explain, how you guys arrived that "Studies have shown" and "some consumer advocates" are part of conclusions.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 66

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 225 [1], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
The passage makes the premise that microwave ovens are not completely safe. This is followed by a conclusion by the consumer advocates that microwave ovens should not be accepted as standard appliances. Since there is nothing in the passage that provides an explicit link between the safety of microwave ovens and their acceptability as standard appliances, the consumer advocates’ conclusion is based on an assumption (i.e., an implied premise) that “an appliance should be accepted as standard only if it is found to be completely safe.” The most effective way to strengthen such a conclusion is to show that such an assumption is indeed true.

Option C:- "Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”
(C) CORRECT. This choice best strengthens the argument by making explicit the assumption upon which the consumer advocates’ argument was based.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 225 [1], given: 855

Re: Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2017, 03:40

Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap