It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Re: Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 03:02
though is it easy to go to B, there is a point between regarding A and B

the present and present perfect are quite different. the uses of those tense are different.

can anyone explain the difference between those tenses.? we should know it , though this question dose not require us to do so

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2015, 03:06
thangvietnam wrote:
though is it easy to go to B, there is a point between regarding A and B

the present and present perfect are quite different. the uses of those tense are different.

can anyone explain the difference between those tenses.? we should know it , though this question dose not require us to do so

I can show just one trick which is very useful in finding perfect tense. Here it is 'for 6000 years'. There are similar words such as 'since' witch signal present perfect tense.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 537

Queens MBA Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 45

Concentration: Leadership, General Management

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 20:55
Split 1 : Parellelism
good growing condition Vs Of good growing Condition.
Sentence says "Combination of X and Y", it will be wrong (As per the current context) to say "Combination of X and of Y". Both will be correct in different context but later is correct in current sentence.
Option C,D and E - Incorrect

Split #2 : Usage of Both
"Combination of X and Y both encouraged" - Both is absolutely not required in this.
Option A and D - Incorrect.

Option B is clear here only,

Split # 3 : Tense error
Endured Vs Have endured Vs Endure
effect is still on - Endure should make sense in current timeframe as well.
Endure - present tense not correct, since it started in past.
Endured not correct, since effect is still on
Have endured - Correct Started in past and effect is still ON

Option A - Endure in present - incorrect

Option C - Endure in past - incorrect

Queens MBA Thread Master

Concentration: Leadership, General Management

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 22:15
Split 1 : Parellelism
good growing condition Vs Of good growing Condition.
Sentence says "Combination of X and Y", it will be wrong (As per the current context) to say "Combination of X and of Y". Both will be correct in different context but later is correct in current sentence.
Option C,D and E - Incorrect

Split #2 : Usage of Both
"Combination of X and Y both encouraged" - Both is absolutely not required in this.
Option A and D - Incorrect.

Option B is clear here only,

Split # 3 : Tense error
Endured Vs Have endured Vs Endure
effect is still on - Endure should make sense in current timeframe as well.
Endure - present tense not correct, since it started in past.
Endured not correct, since effect is still on
Have endured - Correct Started in past and effect is still ON

Option A - Endure in present - incorrect

Option C - Endure in past - incorrect

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 05:21
gmatcallow wrote:
correct to phrase to use is "combination of X and Y" not combination of X and of Y". This leaves us with choice (A) and (B)
(A)"Both" is redundant here we have the word combination to do that.
"endure" has tense problem it should be endured.
endure in is not correct idiom

(B)correct takes care all the points mentioned above

we do not need to remember this idom if we focus on analysing meaning, which is focus of GMAC.

analysing tense, we can go to b.

this simple change of the way we think of sc is critical and fatal.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge
Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2016, 11:36
betterscore wrote:
Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India, the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in at least 6,000 years.

(A) good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in
(B) good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for
(C) of good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for
(D) of good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured
(E) of good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, been enduring for

This question is fairly simple if you think clearly. (There is a distraction i.e use of 'For' which I am not sure if they can be the basis of eliminating answer - Maybe mikemcgarry or VeritasPrepKarishma can help us??)

My reasons to narrow down the answer are the following-
(A) good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in - Both and combination is redundant
(B) good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for
(C) of good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for The 'combination' and 'have' - Subject verb disagreement
(D) of good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured Combination of X and of Y seems incorrect
(E) of good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, been enduring for Combination of X and of Y seems incorrect

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3522 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2016, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rachitshah wrote:
betterscore wrote:
Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India, the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in at least 6,000 years.

(A) good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in
(C) of good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for
(D) of good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured
(E) of good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, been enduring for

This question is fairly simple if you think clearly. (There is a distraction i.e use of 'For' which I am not sure if they can be the basis of eliminating answer - Maybe mikemcgarry or VeritasPrepKarishma can help us??)

The use of "for" or "since" can definitely be used as a basis for eliminating answers, when a time context is referred.

Use of for: to indicate a period of time. I have been working for this company for the last 10 years. .
Use of since: to indicate a point in time. I have been working for the company since 2006.

Kudos [?]: 3522 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2016, 04:46
SPLIT1) CORRECT = "BOTH A AND B" CORRECT = "A COMBINATION OF A AND B". INCORRECT = "A COMBINATION OF A AND B BOTH". INCORRECT = "A COMBINATION OF A AND OF B". C, D AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT2) ENDURE FOR VS ENDURE IN. THE CORRECT IDIOM IS ENDURE FOR. A IS OUT.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 12:08
both is redundant when used with combination.

Correct form is combination of X and Y.

B

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 140

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 07:01
betterscore wrote:

a point of tense to know
if the main clause is in the past, the dependent clause is normally in the past but can be in other tenses , depending on meaning. in oa, B, main clause is in past "encouraged" and dependent clause in in "have endured"

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 06:35
i have a doubt here.

'the combination of X and Y' will take singular verb right ?

the combination is singular .

please correct me if i am wrong

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 04:33
brs1cob wrote:
i have a doubt here.

'the combination of X and Y' will take singular verb right ?

the combination is singular .

please correct me if i am wrong

Yes, that is true. The combination will take singular verb. In B, I don't think anything is wrong.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 274

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 07:04
Hello GMATNinja, Mikemcgarry, and other experts

The sentence just says that 'at least 6,000 years'. How do we know just from this phrase that it still continues?

If the sentence was:
..............and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for 6,000 years.

Will the use of simple past be correct here?

Thanks

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 274

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1903 [1], given: 454

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Shiv2016 wrote:

The sentence just says that 'at least 6,000 years'. How do we know just from this phrase that it still continues?

If the sentence was:
..............and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for 6,000 years.

Thanks

Yeah, I think that there's a grey area here when it comes to the verb tense. I'm not sure that it would be wrong, exactly, to use simple past tense. But if you do, it would imply that the farming traditions no longer endure. That could be true, I guess, but it seems reasonable to think that the conditions that led to those farming traditions -- a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions -- haven't changed. At the very least, nothing in the sentence suggests that they've changed.

So present perfect ("have endured") seems a little bit more reasonable -- but to be fair, the question leaves room for debate on this.

But even if you ignore the verb tense issue, there are good reasons to eliminate all four wrong answers. Check out ChrisLele's explanation above for more.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1903 [1], given: 454

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 19:48
Shiv2016 wrote:

If the sentence was:

Thanks

Hi Shiv2016, as GMATNinja has pointed out, there is theoretically some room to interpret that the farming traditions have discontinued; however, there is nothing in the sentence to suggest so.

Also, notice that the articulation of the original sentence matters; while the original sentence is not absolutely correct, it uses the present tense (endure), thereby suggesting that that farming traditions are not a thing of the past.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 13

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 12:04

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 195

Re: Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2017, 12:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap