Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Alternative transcript to counter no-name undergrad? [#permalink]
Sorry to bump this thread in the middle of the application craziness. I was wondering if there is a minimum level of classes for alternative transcript building. I'm looking at night classes to take after work. Unfortunately, the only business classes available are the basics which I've already taken in undergrad (i.e. basic accounting, finance, etc.).

I was looking into math classes, but the only classes available are low level math classes (i.e. Algebra I). I took calculus in undergrad, so would taking Algebra I seem like I am chasing an A (don't get me wrong, I am, just trying to be a little more subtle about it). I've read previous posts about the level of alternative transcript classes "not mattering" but I'm just curious if there is a minimum level before it starts looking ridiculous.

Thanks,
HImba88
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
I am a big fan of candidates developing an alternative transcript, if needed. In your case, a 3.48 GPA in a difficult major from a non-name brand school may still make you competitive at some top programs. For instance, Wharton accepts a relatively large number of students from small Pennsylvania colleges. I know that a few other top programs including Booth, Ross, Fuqua and Anderson do the same. If your goal is HBS, Stanford or Columbia, these programs are very Ivy and Ivy equivalent focused.

Before you invest the time and money in developing an alternative transcript, I would recommend that you seek counsel from an experienced admissions expert. They will be able to advise you on whether this endeavor is necessary or if there are better ways to spend your time and money. Your assessment of your own candidacy may not be correct and there might be better ways to enhance your candidacy.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Kimberly. Could you assist me in evaluating my candidacy if I pm you my info?

Your above statements got me thinking about whether I'm wasting my time and money shooting for schools already out of my reach to begin with.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot