It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 15:52
farzana87 wrote:
daagh wrote:
This passage is testing sentence structure, construction and style

A. Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year-------In this simple sentence, introduced by a participial modifier, the modified subject heirloom tomatoes is repeated twice and hence redundant.

B Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins—avoids mentioning heirloom tomatoes in the underlined portions and thus escapes redundancy ------ correct choice

C Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year- same redundancy as in A

D Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins. ---------- The two ICs forming the compound sentence are not conjugated with the conjunction and hence is a run-on

E Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins---In this complex sentence with an early subordinate clause and a following major clause , redundancy of heirloom tomatoes is a problem as in A and C


"Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand." Is it a correct sentence?


Yes, it is.

The basic structure is:
Heirloom tomatoes are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

Now add a present participle modifier "Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins" before "heirloom tomatoes".
Then add a past participle modifier "grown from seeds saved during the previous year" AFTER "heirloom tomatoes".

Now the sentence becomes:

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

Red: main clause
Blue: modifier 1 for heirloom tomatoes
Green: modifier 2 for heirloom tomatoes

Yet adding two modifiers on two sides of a noun may be a bit clumsy. Given another grammatically correct choice, this construction is better avoided.

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Posts: 70

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 10:29
daagh wrote:
This passage is testing sentence structure, construction and style

A. Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year-------In this simple sentence, introduced by a participial modifier, the modified subject heirloom tomatoes is repeated twice and hence redundant.

B Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins—avoids mentioning heirloom tomatoes in the underlined portions and thus escapes redundancy ------ correct choice

C Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year- same redundancy as in A

D Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins. ---------- The two ICs forming the compound sentence are not conjugated with the conjunction and hence is a run-on

E Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins---In this complex sentence with an early subordinate clause and a following major clause , redundancy of heirloom tomatoes is a problem as in A and C


Isn't the word "they" creating an ambiguity ( how do we know is it modifying heirloom or its cousins). Help needed please. (Or is it the case that when two IC's are separated by a dash-the word "they" in the following clause, represents the subject of the first clause i.e heirloom tomatoes)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 12:45
RK84 wrote:
daagh wrote:
This passage is testing sentence structure, construction and style

A. Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year-------In this simple sentence, introduced by a participial modifier, the modified subject heirloom tomatoes is repeated twice and hence redundant.

B Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins—avoids mentioning heirloom tomatoes in the underlined portions and thus escapes redundancy ------ correct choice

C Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year- same redundancy as in A

D Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins. ---------- The two ICs forming the compound sentence are not conjugated with the conjunction and hence is a run-on

E Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins---In this complex sentence with an early subordinate clause and a following major clause , redundancy of heirloom tomatoes is a problem as in A and C


Isn't the word "they" creating an ambiguity ( how do we know is it modifying heirloom or its cousins). Help needed please. (Or is it the case that when two IC's are separated by a dash-the word "they" in the following clause, represents the subject of the first clause i.e heirloom tomatoes)


Your reasoning is correct, this kind of usage is not considered ambiguous. However note that this usage is applicable not just for two independent clauses, but also for any combination of clauses (e.g. independent clause + dependent clause).

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 472

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 12:15
ChrisLele wrote:
Received a PM for this one :)

(D) This answer choice forms an independent clause. Two independent clauses cannot be joined by a parenthetical comment (regardless of whether that comment is separated by em-dashes--as seen here--commas, or even parentheses). On the other hand, you can use just one em-dash to separate independent clauses (which is how I originally interpreted the question, and was thus drawn to (D)).

Hi ChrisLele,
Can you please shed more light on this explanation?
also, "em-dashes--as seen here--commas" refers what?
Thanks...
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 472

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 13:30
macjas wrote:
OG16 SC118

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year--they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises--heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

A Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
B Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
C Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
D Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
E Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins

Hi sayantanc2k,
You said: 2 modifier can't modify the same thing (heirloom tomatoes) in a row. Now, I'm going to cross out some of the option of the question by this method.
Here,
part 1: " Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins"
Part 2: "heirloom tomatoes"
Part 3: " grown from seeds saved during the previous year"
In A: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In C: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In E: part 3 modify part 2. also, part 1 modify part 2....>cross out
Is it the wrong?
Thanks...
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 03:57
iMyself wrote:
macjas wrote:
OG16 SC118

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year--they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises--heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

A Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
B Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
C Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
D Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
E Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins

Hi sayantanc2k,
You said: 2 modifier can't modify the same thing (heirloom tomatoes) in a row. Now, I'm going to cross out some of the option of the question by this method.
Here,
part 1: " Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins"
Part 2: "heirloom tomatoes"
Part 3: " grown from seeds saved during the previous year"
In A: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In C: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In E: part 3 modify part 2. also, part 1 modify part 2....>cross out
Is it the wrong?
Thanks...


You have a misunderstanding it seems:

You are right that part 1 and part 3 are modifiers for part 2. But these 2 modifiers DO NOT come in a row one after the other - part 2 comes in between. Hence you cannot eliminate these choices based on modifier issue.

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 472

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 04:22
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
macjas wrote:
OG16 SC118

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year--they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises--heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

A Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
B Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
C Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
D Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
E Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins

Hi sayantanc2k,
You said: 2 modifier can't modify the same thing (heirloom tomatoes) in a row. Now, I'm going to cross out some of the option of the question by this method.
Here,
part 1: " Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins"
Part 2: "heirloom tomatoes"
Part 3: " grown from seeds saved during the previous year"
In A: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In C: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In E: part 3 modify part 2. also, part 1 modify part 2....>cross out
Is it the wrong?
Thanks...


You have a misunderstanding it seems:

You are right that part 1 and part 3 are modifiers for part 2. But these 2 modifiers DO NOT come in a row one after the other - part 2 comes in between. Hence you cannot eliminate these choices based on modifier issue.

Okay. I get it. But, still query for E. Here, In E: Part 1, and part 3 come in a row one after other. So, may I eliminate choice E based on modifier issue?
Thanks...
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 08:10
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k,
You said: 2 modifier can't modify the same thing (heirloom tomatoes) in a row. Now, I'm going to cross out some of the option of the question by this method.
Here,
part 1: " Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins"
Part 2: "heirloom tomatoes"
Part 3: " grown from seeds saved during the previous year"
In A: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In C: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In E: part 3 modify part 2. also, part 1 modify part 2....>cross out
Is it the wrong?
Thanks...


You have a misunderstanding it seems:

You are right that part 1 and part 3 are modifiers for part 2. But these 2 modifiers DO NOT come in a row one after the other - part 2 comes in between. Hence you cannot eliminate these choices based on modifier issue.

Okay. I get it. But, still query for E. Here, In E: Part 1, and part 3 come in a row one after other. So, may I eliminate choice E based on modifier issue?
Thanks...


Yes, your understanding is correct.

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 472

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 09:10
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
You have a misunderstanding it seems:

You are right that part 1 and part 3 are modifiers for part 2. But these 2 modifiers DO NOT come in a row one after the other - part 2 comes in between. Hence you cannot eliminate these choices based on modifier issue.

Okay. I get it. But, still query for E. Here, In E: Part 1, and part 3 come in a row one after other. So, may I eliminate choice E based on modifier issue?
Thanks...


Yes, your understanding is correct.

But, If I say:
I've a sister who can solve difficult math and whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.
In this example,
''who can solve difficult math'' modify "sister"
"whose friend can easily make clear verbal part" also modify "sister"
Here, I see, Both the modifier modify the same noun (sister) in a row.
Thanks brother...
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 02:20
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
But, If I say:
I've a sister who can solve difficult math and whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.
In this example,
''who can solve difficult math'' modify "sister"
"whose friend can easily make clear verbal part" also modify "sister"
Here, I see, Both the modifier modify the same noun (sister) in a row.
Thanks brother...


No brother, there is "and" in between. You may join two modifiers with a conjunction. The following would be incorrect:
I've a sister who can solve difficult math, whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.... wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3310 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 472

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 03:19
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
But, If I say:
I've a sister who can solve difficult math and whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.
In this example,
''who can solve difficult math'' modify "sister"
"whose friend can easily make clear verbal part" also modify "sister"
Here, I see, Both the modifier modify the same noun (sister) in a row.
Thanks brother...


No brother, there is "and" in between. You may join two modifiers with a conjunction. The following would be incorrect:
I've a sister who can solve difficult math, whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.... wrong.


I've a sister who can solve difficult math and whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.
I think, my sentence is perfectly fine and also the two modifier modifies the same noun "sister", isn't it? Perhaps, you are talking about ''that modifier'' will be separated by comma and will in a row, then i can cross out the option if THE two modifier modifies the same noun and their position is in a row separated by comma, isn't it?
Thanks...
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

Top Contributor
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 570

Kudos [?]: 2687 [0], given: 220

Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2016, 05:41
Top Contributor
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k,
You said: 2 modifier can't modify the same thing (heirloom tomatoes) in a row. Now, I'm going to cross out some of the option of the question by this method.
Here,
part 1: " Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins"
Part 2: "heirloom tomatoes"
Part 3: " grown from seeds saved during the previous year"
In A: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In C: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In E: part 3 modify part 2. also, part 1 modify part 2....>cross out
Is it the wrong?
Thanks...


You have a misunderstanding it seems:

You are right that part 1 and part 3 are modifiers for part 2. But these 2 modifiers DO NOT come in a row one after the other - part 2 comes in between. Hence you cannot eliminate these choices based on modifier issue.

Okay. I get it. But, still query for E. Here, In E: Part 1, and part 3 come in a row one after other. So, may I eliminate choice E based on modifier issue?
Thanks...


Hi dear,

You can eliminate Choice E based on modifier issue

Answer (E) repeat the original error

There are two subjects without any kind of connecting word in between,Incorrect

Structure (E) : Heirloom tomatoes ,(modifier),(modifier)-(modifier)-heirlooms are <-----2 Subjects
_________________

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2687 [0], given: 220

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 472

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 14:45
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

You have a misunderstanding it seems:

You are right that part 1 and part 3 are modifiers for part 2. But these 2 modifiers DO NOT come in a row one after the other - part 2 comes in between. Hence you cannot eliminate these choices based on modifier issue.

Okay. I get it. But, still query for E. Here, In E: Part 1, and part 3 come in a row one after other. So, may I eliminate choice E based on modifier issue?
Thanks...


Yes, your understanding is correct.


---------------------------
Hi sayantanc2k,
I got a sentence correction today where the ''consecutive modifiers'' can modify the same noun.
here is given that SC.

Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

(A) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

(B) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, having the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, a technique called proton induced x-ray emission

(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

(D) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying it,

(E) A technique that was originally developed for detecting air pollutants and has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying the substance, called proton-induced x-ray emission,
Here, A is the correct answer.
in A, two consecutive modifiers modify the same noun ('A technique')
two consecutive modifiers are:
1/ ''called proton-induced x-ray emission''
2/ ''which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it''
Am I correct?
Thanks for your help.
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Last edited by iMyself on 18 Dec 2016, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 179

Chat Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 574

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 08:17
Can someone shed more light on Parenthetical comments and em-dash?

As per my understanding, Parenthetical comments are inserted within a sentence as a brief explanation. They can't be used to join two independent clauses together. What about em-dash? One of the instructors mentioned that em-dash can be used to connect two ICs.

What is the correct usage of an em-dash? Does GMAT test this concept?

Also, in Option B, we have Although. As per my understanding, although should be followed by a clause? So in this case it is -- > Although heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing. So it doesn't matter if "appear" is placed after the non-restrictive clause?

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2016
Posts: 24

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 21

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.94
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 06:25
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I have been facing some issues to understand when pronoun referencing is considered ambiguous. Let's consider the OG 2016 question below:

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year -- they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises -- heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

(A) Same as above
(B) Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
(C) Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
(D) Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
(E) Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins

The correct answer is B. I too chose B but by PoE. I wasn't 100% confident, something I have been facing in a lot of SC questions.

My question is this. After the -- we have a they. While I understand, it is not the underline portion, I was looking for an option that would possibly end with Heirloom tomatoes. But didn't find any option. I eliminated A, D and E easily. Between B and C, B doesn't make sense. The cousins are already defined as round and red, so the term after the -- doesn't make sense as it once again defines the cousins as green and striped. So, I chose C.

Question is, why is the 'They' following the -- not ambiguous? Can't it refer to either 'Heirloom tomatoes' or the 'round and red supermarket cousins'?

Any help would be highly appreciated :)
_________________

If you think this post was helpful, please provide Kudos! Cheers!!!

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 21

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1017

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 07:11
shubhraghosh wrote:
I was looking for an option that would possibly end with Heirloom tomatoes.

Question is, why is the 'They' following the -- not ambiguous? Can't it refer to either 'Heirloom tomatoes' or the 'round and red supermarket cousins'?
Why were you looking for such an option? Pronoun ambiguity is not what you want to start off with. Use it, but don't give it too much importance.
_________________

Profile

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2015
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 08:03
Till now I have learnt that pronoun ambiguity is least tested topic among other topics and rarely an option can be omitted using this elimination method.

There are other reasons for striking out options.

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year -- they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises -- heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

(A) Same as above
-- First part is not a complete sentence. [ Although X, tomatoes ( no verb ), complete sentence ]
(B) Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
(C) Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
-- Same as A
(D) Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
-- Run-on
(E) Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
-- Fragment -- [ tomatoes (no verb), sub-ordinate, complete sentence ]

Not sure of the below rule.
Generally pronouns in subject refers to pronoun in subject of previous clause.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3003

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 325

Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 11:10
shubhraghosh

Good point raised , keep such conceptual questions coming ...

Here is something which will certainly address your query ( From eGMAT) -

pronouns-debunking-popular-myths-intro-160811.html#p1272784

IMHO : The trick for this type of question is understanding the meaning of the question and then substituting both ( Or all ) the antecedents the Pronoun can refer to and check if the correct meaning is conveyed...

Request others to contribute their valuable opinion...
_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 325

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2016
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 00:02
First I will repeat AjiteshArun's point :
AjiteshArun wrote:
shubhraghosh wrote:
I was looking for an option that would possibly end with Heirloom tomatoes.

Question is, why is the 'They' following the -- not ambiguous? Can't it refer to either 'Heirloom tomatoes' or the 'round and red supermarket cousins'?
Why were you looking for such an option? Pronoun ambiguity is not what you want to start off with. Use it, but don't give it too much importance.

You can take the below approach :
Every clause separated by "--" should make sense in itself, which is only done by option B.


Second,
If you see now 'they' refers to the subject of the previous clause which is 'Heirloom tomatoes'.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2016
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2016, 07:03
Although blah blah, contrast.

but this is not happening even in B "they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises" which is supporting "appearing less appetizing" and not contrasting it

D therefore looks ok but has run on issue

none of the answers seem good :? :?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2016, 07:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 78 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.