Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [18]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Re: Although Babylonian scholars were remarkable observers of human illnes [#permalink]
Guys is there any grammatical error in portion c???

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Although Babylonian scholars were remarkable observers of human illnes [#permalink]
arvind910619 wrote:
Although Babylonian scholars were remarkable observers of human illness and behavior, researchers believe that their proficiency in anatomy was superficial and did not entirely disprove the involvement of evil forces in a number of diseases.

A. superficial and did not entirely disprove

B. superficial and that it disproved not entirely

C. superficial, not entirely disproving

D. superficial, not entirely a disproval of

E. superficial, and that they did not entirely disprove

E. superficial, and that they did not entirely disprove......if we do not use 'that' ..is the sentence wrong ??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [4]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
janadipesh wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:
Although Babylonian scholars were remarkable observers of human illness and behavior, researchers believe that their proficiency in anatomy was superficial and did not entirely disprove the involvement of evil forces in a number of diseases.

A. superficial and did not entirely disprove

B. superficial and that it disproved not entirely

C. superficial, not entirely disproving

D. superficial, not entirely a disproval of

E. superficial, and that they did not entirely disprove

E. superficial, and that they did not entirely disprove......if we do not use 'that' ..is the sentence wrong ??

nice question.. n this is going to help you alot.
RULE- there has to be "that(pronoun referend )" for its respective subject. If the subject is same for both the actions then only one "that " is sufficient
eg: researchers believe that their proficiency(proficiency-1st subject) in anatomy was [u]superficial and that they(they-babylos-2nd subject) did not entirely disprovethe involvement of evil forces in a number of diseases.

Example where only 1 "that" is sufficient - Lindsey said that she is leaving the town for a couple of weeks and will not be able to attend the ceremony. Here there is only one subject " she" and both the actions " leaving , attend " are done by lindsey.
eg 2: The Japanese software is so complex that it cannot be built within the stipulated time and is highly encrypted" (I know the sentence doesnt make sense but get the point .

RULE- different subjects(doers) >> separate "that "
same doer >> one "that"
In subjunctive mode though ALWAYS AND ALWAYS USE "THAT"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Although Babylonian scholars were remarkable observers of human illnes [#permalink]
tamal99 wrote:
Guys is there any grammatical error in portion c???

Posted from my mobile device

I think there are two problems
1) in parallelism, disproving is a wrong verb
2) superficial, not entirely disproving... here ' not entirely disproving' trying to modify superficial ..which is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Bookmarks
Why is there a comma before the second that in option E. I eliminated E because commas are used to separate two independent clauses, no? Experts please help. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
Isn't the 'they' in option E ambiguous and is referring to the researchers. I eliminated it for this reason.

Could someone elaborate on this.

Thanks.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
manish899 wrote:
Isn't the 'they' in option E ambiguous and is referring to the researchers. I eliminated it for this reason.

Thanks.

Hi

Let's look at the question a little more closely:

1. The "their" refers to the Babylonian scholars.
2. So what we have is two clauses joined by the connector "and". Thus the subject of the two clauses would refer to the same person or thing - in this case the Babylonian scholars.
3. So finally the intended meaning is as follows:
The Babylonian scholars' (their) proficiency in anatomy was superficial.
and
The Babylonian scholars (they) did not entirely disprove....

Hope this helps :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Although Babylonian scholars were remarkable observers of human illnes [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manish899 wrote:

Thanks.
Hi manish899,

Generally speaking, pronoun ambiguity is not a major problem. Try to identify other, more reliable entry points before reaching for something like ambiguity.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM