It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although covered in about 11 inches of snow

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge
Although covered in about 11 inches of snow [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2014, 14:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (00:45) correct 31% (00:38) wrong based on 95 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the
emergency landing was acceptable.
• aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable
• the runway conditions during the emergency landing were acceptable according to aviation officials
• according to aviation officials, the runway was in acceptable condition during the time of the emergency landing
• the runway was in acceptable condition during the emergency landing, according to aviation officials
• aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing were acceptable

Please explain why B is wrong
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [1], given: 48

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: Although covered in about 11 inches of snow [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2014, 22:46
This post received
KUDOS
gmat2015p wrote:
Although covered in about 11 inches of snow, aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the
emergency landing was acceptable.
• aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing was acceptable
• the runway conditions during the emergency landing were acceptable according to aviation officials
• according to aviation officials, the runway was in acceptable condition during the time of the emergency landing
• the runway was in acceptable condition during the emergency landing, according to aviation officials
• aviation officials said that conditions on the runway at the time of the emergency landing were acceptable

Please explain why B is wrong

Option B says that "The runway conditions" are covered with snow. Read the complete sentence once with option B and you will realize that this option is logically incorrect.

Please give Kudos to the post if you liked.

Kudos [?]: 61 [1], given: 48

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1238 [2], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 00:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Only D correctly places "the runway" after the initial modifier. The runway is what is covered in snow!

We might get away with delaying the main subject with another modifier, as in C, but C doesn't make it entirely clear *what* is "according to aviation officials." It could be read to mean that the officials say the runway is covered in snow, and the *author* is asserting that it's in good condition.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1238 [2], given: 29

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 11:57
DmitryFarber wrote:
Only D correctly places "the runway" after the initial modifier. The runway is what is covered in snow!

We might get away with delaying the main subject with another modifier, as in C, but C doesn't make it entirely clear *what* is "according to aviation officials." It could be read to mean that the officials say the runway is covered in snow, and the *author* is asserting that it's in good condition.

Thank you. My confusion between B and D is cleared now.

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 650 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 23:01
Hi Dmitry,
Happy new year :)
I have a query on the usage of "Although". Is it compulsory to have clause with "Although". I have seen a few Official Q with Although
followed by participle.
Request you to share your inputs on this.
Regards.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1238 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 19:13
I think you'll find that most correct official SC answers with "although" use it to compare clauses. The usage here is an exception (from an unofficial source, I believe), and it's not very common (or very good).

In any case, we should always follow the "although" phrase (not necessarily the word itself) with a clause. So we can get away with saying "Although covered in snow, the runway was in acceptable condition," but we wouldn't want to switch that order and put "although covered in snow" at the end. And what we really want to avoid is something like "It was a sunny, although cold, day." There "although" is just comparing two adjectives, and that's definitively wrong.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1238 [0], given: 29

Verbal Forum Moderator

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 01:50
Hi Dmitry..
Thanks for the inputs.
Below is a Q from GmatPrep : Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be brought into the country by visitors.
http://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forum ... t8775.html

According to Grammar websites, "Although" shall be used with clause. However GMAT doesn't seem to follow this rule strictly. Is my understanding correct or there are some exceptions, which i am missing?
In the thread, Ron has shared some pointers regarding this, but I am still not clear about its usage.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 09:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 0

Re: Although covered in about 11 inches of snow   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2017, 09:06

Although covered in about 11 inches of snow

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap