It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 05:18

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 117

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 5

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2012, 05:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (00:49) correct 44% (00:51) wrong based on 142 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, in reality these gregarious creatures live in stable groups that occupy the same territory for long periods.
(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills.
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 5

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Re: Although films about the American West [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2012, 15:54
I am a little confused about the subject in the first half of the sentence. If the subject is "films", then the second half of the sentence is referring to the coyotes. I think the tricky part of this question is the first sentence can start with either films or coyotes. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills - depicted as, not depicted to be
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West - on tops of distant hills in films is ambiguous - films depicted coyotes howling in films
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - wrong placement of the comma, mournfully howling animals is now describing solitary
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - depicted as, not depicted to be

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 164

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 4

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: Although films about the American West [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2012, 02:12
jitgoel wrote:
Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, in reality these gregarious creatures live in stable groups that occupy the same territory for long periods.
(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills.
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills




It is better to think "..films depict X as something, in reality these(X) live in...... "

Moreover, in C coyotes are depicted where? In films about American West. But this choice keeps a big gap between these two parts.
_________________

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 117

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Re: Although films about the American West [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2012, 03:18
Wwdrok1 wrote:
I am a little confused about the subject in the first half of the sentence. If the subject is "films", then the second half of the sentence is referring to the coyotes. I think the tricky part of this question is the first sentence can start with either films or coyotes. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills - depicted as, not depicted to be
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West - on tops of distant hills in films is ambiguous - films depicted coyotes howling in films
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - wrong placement of the comma, mournfully howling animals is now describing solitary
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - depicted as, not depicted to be


Why Not 'B' is it some idiom which says "Depcited as not Depicted to be" from the sentence it reflect that "In films .... parallel to in Reality" is this will not work.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Re: Although films about the American West [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2012, 20:21
jitgoel wrote:
[quote="Wwdrok1"
Why Not 'B' is it some idiom which says "Depcited as not Depicted to be" from the sentence it reflect that "In films .... parallel to in Reality" is this will not work.


You are right. Depicted As is the correct idiom for the GMAT. I don't think Depicted To Be is an idiom tested by the GMAT.
So only use depicted as in the GMAT.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Posts: 356

Kudos [?]: 467 [0], given: 50

Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge
Re: Although films about the American West [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2012, 02:45
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jitgoel wrote:
Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, in reality these gregarious creatures live in stable groups that occupy the same territory for long periods.
(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills.
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills


The meaning of the original sentence has a contrast - Films of AW depicts Coyotes as solitary animals, but in reality coyotes live in stable groups.
Lets split and see
1. Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, Dependent Clause
2. in reality these gregarious creatures live in stable groups. Independent clause.
3. that occupy the same territory for long periods. - Here that refers to groups. Dependent clause.

Here all dependent clauses are connected properly with IC with the help of "," and "that" (acts as subject for the 3rd clause).
All SV pairs are in agreement.
ing-modifier correctly modifying animals.
these refers to coyotes, no pronoun error
Meaning is clear

Now comes POE:
(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills. Correct as it is.
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills. The subject of the action is missing. We don't know who is doing the action of "depict". Moreover a passive construction & Unidiomatic expression "depicted to be".
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West. The subject of the action is missing. We don't know who is doing the action of "depict"
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills. as-if changes the meaning and" , ing modifier" tends to modify the preceding clause
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills. Usage of and changes meaning, unidiomatic usage :depicted to be"
_________________

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Kudos [?]: 467 [0], given: 50

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10181

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although films about the American West depict coyotes as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 20:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Re: Although films about the American West depict coyotes as   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2017, 20:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.