GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 19:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Although fresh oats and corn are the most nutritious foods for cattle,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Although fresh oats and corn are the most nutritious foods for cattle,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 09:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:26) correct 29% (01:26) wrong based on 132 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although fresh oats and corn are the most nutritious foods for cattle, historically, cattle ranchers have minimized purchases of these grains in order to minimize costs due to spoilage. This year, however, fresh oats and corn have become the best-selling foods for cattle—a clear sign that cattle ranchers are putting nutrition ahead of concerns about costs due to spoilage.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A) Last year, processed cattle feed outsold fresh oats and corn by a wide margin.

B) No cattle ranchers have reported in surveys that they are attempting to purchase more nutritious fodder for their herds.

C) Cattle ranchers are attempting to counter recent claims about the health risks associated with eating beef by becoming more conscious of the nutritive quality of the meat they are producing.

D) Because of crop failures, all types of cattle fodder—including fresh oats and corn, processed cattle feed, and frozen nutritional supplements—were more expensive this year than in previous years.

E) Because of agricultural innovations, fresh oats and corn spoil much less quickly than in previous years, while the purchase price for such fodder has remained constant.

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although fresh oats and corn are the most nutritious foods for cattle,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 10:17
Ans is E. It's because of oats and corn spoil less quickly than previous due to innovation. Ranchers are using it. Not for nutrition

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: Although fresh oats and corn are the most nutritious foods for cattle,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 14:04
E is the correct answer as it directly weakens the link.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 06:34
VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, gmat1393, broall, nightblade354

Dear experts,

Can anyone please explain why not option C? I also got the same question whose option C was different -"Higher temperatures and increased rain this year have led to quicker spoilage of fresh oats and corn than in previous years when fresh oats and corn sold poorly to cattle ranchers".

I selected this because I thought I need to show a different reason which boosted the sale. I thought as the spoilage was quicker, so the farmer had to buy more oats. So the sale was more.
Please advise.
regards,
Arup
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
D
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Although fresh oats and corn are the most nutritious foods for cattle,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 09:52
ArupRS,

(C) is wrong for two reasons in my mind. The first is that they are trying to do something. Who says they are going to accomplish this task? Second, you are making an assumption that food eaten correlates to healthier meat and this is the reason for the farmers' choice. But who is to say this is accurate? And even if it is, how do we know that it works, or that consumers will know/understand/appreciate it? You cannot make an assumption to help yourself arrive at an answer. Use the information at hand.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 10:13
nightblade354 wrote:
ArupRS,

(C) is wrong for two reasons in my mind. The first is that they are trying to do something. Who says they are going to accomplish this task? Second, you are making an assumption that food eaten correlates to healthier meat and this is the reason for the farmers' choice. But who is to say this is accurate? And even if it is, how do we know that it works, or that consumers will know/understand/appreciate it? You cannot make an assumption to help yourself arrive at an answer. Use the information at hand.

Got it. Appreciate your answer. Happy Holidays :)

Regards,
Arup
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 11:26
Why B is wrong??
I think it is weakening the conclusion
I am confuse between B and E

Posted from my mobile device
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
D
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 11:46
78ab,

The reason (B) is wrong is because we do not care that they are not reporting it. Seriously, who cares? All we care about is the fact that they are purchasing it, which is stated in the question stem. We do not need to know if they are reporting their purchases. Further, how would this weaken the argument? We would need to make an assumption about why they are not reporting it, which is not the correct approach for CR questions, as it will lead you to wrong answers every single time.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 11:54
Nightblade354

Now I understood thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although fresh oats and corn are the most nutritious foods for cattle, &nbs [#permalink] 20 Dec 2018, 11:54

Although fresh oats and corn are the most nutritious foods for cattle,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap