It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 03:27

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9486 [1], given: 1202

Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2014, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation,............................. , they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

30 seconds approach, even less .

I do not even rely on idioms or else........only in case of blurry situations.

Good job :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9486 [1], given: 1202

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3603 [0], given: 123

Premium Member
Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2014, 09:44
@ Carcass.
Your approach is definitely quick and correct. I went to the same thinking as yours but after taking 2 minutes. Bad!. At first I thought the "acting....and keeping" phrase must be the modifier and quickly went to A and B. However, I stuck a little bit because I just read the underlined part and thought the phrase "while....." is contrast with "acting.....and keeping...". Fortunately, I saw "although" at the beginning and finally picked A.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9486 [0], given: 1202

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2014, 10:28
@pqhai

your analyses is right and at the same time the fact you said: thanks I noticed the contrast word although is the flawed part ....

I mean: even if I do not notice this word at the beginning of the sentence (maybe distracted or else) reading the first non underlined part, it clearly states that something positive the particles do. Consequently, what follows must be a clear counterpart.

The first part goes up (in a positive sense) so the second part must go down clearly (in a negative way). B C D and E, the rightmost underlined portion of the sentence re-shifts the entire meaning in another direction that is not so clear (positive or negative). We need a clear cut, instead.

Of course , this process takes a while to put in place in your mind but believe me : it is worth; in conjuction with your grammar knowledge, the process is boosted immensely.

:wink:

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9486 [0], given: 1202

Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2014, 13:41
@Carcass.
I agree with you. The approach is worth to practice. "Meaning" is always my weakness. Tips and tricks do not help out in the long term. :) thank you my friend.

Best!

Posted from my mobile device

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 75

Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 20:27
options B and D are out due to either ..... or .... issue.
Among A ,C and E , option A has comma + ing modifier modifying the entire clause. Hence correct .
In option C, while also accelerating is wrong .
In option E, but is redundant

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2014, 18:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hello friends..

in option A.."although" thing is okay..(although X,Y)
but in option A, "acting as global thermostat..."..doesn`t it seem to modify the "solar radiation"..rather it should modify the ice particles.

anybody plz correct me ..

thanku

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 23

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 20:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 05:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 02:49
(A) acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate

CORRECT: This answer choice conveys the intended meaning in a clear and idiomatically correct fashion;
Adverbial modifier -- acting as a global thermostat -- correctly modifies the clause about the ice particles' reflection and absorption of solar radiation, describing the results of those phenomena
The main clause ‘they also accelerate’ starts in the correct place, and, as expected from subordinating conjunction ‘although’, stands in conceptual opposition to the subordinate clause that begins the sentence; The subordinating conjunction ‘although’ is used to introduce a contrast BETWEEN the clause introduced by ‘although’ (subordinate clause) AND the clause following the comma (main clause) - ‘Although [subordinate clause], [main clause]’;

(B) acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating

Meaning: the placement of the preposition ‘from’ in the construction ‘keeping Earth EITHER from burning up OR freezing over’ doesn’t make sense in the given context, as it implies that preposition ‘from’ applies only to the first part of the construction; In other words, ‘Ice particles act as global thermostat and thus EITHER keep Earth from burning up OR keep Earth freezing over’; obviously, the preposition ‘from’ has to be placed before the ‘EITHER..OR’ construction, because ‘keeping Earth freezing over’ doesn’t logically qualify as a ‘benefit’: ‘… thus keeping Earth from EITHER burning up OR freezing over…’
Construction: subordinating conjunction ‘Although’ is used to introduce a contrast BETWEEN the clause introduced by ‘although’ (subordinate clause) AND the clause following the comma (main clause) - ‘Although [subordinate clause], [main clause]’. This answer choice is a sentence fragment, as it lacks the main clause and consists of one subordinate clause followed by modifiers - ‘Although [subordinate clause], [modifier], [modifier], [main clause –missing]’; furthermore, since the main clause is missing, the implication is that the modifier ‘while also accelerating the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons’ is further describing the benefits of ice particles, whereas, clearly, there is nothing beneficial in the destruction of ozone layer;

(C) act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating

Meaning/Construction: This answer choice makes no grammatical sense; it seems to present a list of benefits, but with complete disregard to parallelism and punctuation: ‘reflect and absorb..., act as X, and thus..., while also accelerating ....’; furthermore, this answer choice is a sentence fragment, as it lacks the main clause and consists of one subordinate clause followed by a long modifier - ‘Although [subordinate clause], [modifier], [main clause –missing]’; furthermore, since the main clause is missing, the implication is that the modifier ‘while also accelerating the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons’ is further describing the benefits of ice particles, whereas, clearly, there is nothing beneficial in the destruction of ozone layer;

(D) they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps the Earth either from burning up or freezing over even though it also accelerates

Meaning: the subordinating conjunction ‘Although’ is used to introduce a contrast BETWEEN the clause introduced by ‘although’ (subordinate clause) AND the clause following the comma (main clause) - ‘Although [subordinate clause], [main clause]’; Clearly, there is no apparent contrast between the subordinate clause (Although ice particles benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation) and the main clause (they act as a global thermostat)’; on the contrary, the ‘global thermostat’ idea flows smoothly from the ice particles' reflection and absorption of solar radiation.
Unidiomatic: construction ‘thermostat that THUS keeps’ is unidiomatic, the ‘thus’ is completely out of place and unnecessary;
Meaning: the placement of the preposition ‘from’ in the construction ‘keeps the Earth EITHER from burning up OR freezing over’ doesn’t make sense in the given context, as it implies that preposition ‘from’ applies only to the first part of the construction; In other words, ‘Ice particles act as global thermostat and thus EITHER keep Earth from burning up OR keep Earth freezing over’; obviously, the preposition ‘from’ has to be placed before the ‘EITHER..OR’ construction, because ‘keeping Earth freezing over’ doesn’t logically qualify as a ‘benefit’;
Awkward: aside from using a contrasting conjunction ‘although’ without apparent contrast, this answer choice adds another contrasting conjunction ‘even though’, thereby creating an even more awkward sentence;

(E) they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate

Meaning: the subordinating conjunction ‘Although’ is used to introduce a contrast BETWEEN the clause introduced by ‘although’ (subordinate clause) AND the clause following the comma (main clause) - ‘Although [subordinate clause], [main clause]’; Clearly, there is no apparent contrast between the subordinate clause (Although ice particles benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation) and the main clause (they act as a global thermostat)’; on the contrary, the ‘global thermostat’ idea flows smoothly from the ice particles' reflection and absorption of solar radiation.
Meaning: construction ‘they (ice particles) act as thermostat TO THUS keep Earth…’ nonsensically implies that ‘ice particles intentionally act as thermostat to protect the earth from extreme temperatures’, obviously ‘ice particles are inanimate objects that don’t have free will, not to mention intentions’
Awkward: aside from using a contrasting conjunction ‘although’ without apparent contrast, this answer choice adds another contrasting conjunction ‘but’, thereby creating an even more awkward sentence;

GMATSENSE Guru

Hit KUDOS, if you like the explanation!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 02:49
This post received
KUDOS
(A) acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate

CORRECT: This answer choice conveys the intended meaning in a clear and idiomatically correct fashion;
Adverbial modifier -- acting as a global thermostat -- correctly modifies the clause about the ice particles' reflection and absorption of solar radiation, describing the results of those phenomena
The main clause ‘they also accelerate’ starts in the correct place, and, as expected from subordinating conjunction ‘although’, stands in conceptual opposition to the subordinate clause that begins the sentence; The subordinating conjunction ‘although’ is used to introduce a contrast BETWEEN the clause introduced by ‘although’ (subordinate clause) AND the clause following the comma (main clause) - ‘Although [subordinate clause], [main clause]’;

(B) acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating

Meaning: the placement of the preposition ‘from’ in the construction ‘keeping Earth EITHER from burning up OR freezing over’ doesn’t make sense in the given context, as it implies that preposition ‘from’ applies only to the first part of the construction; In other words, ‘Ice particles act as global thermostat and thus EITHER keep Earth from burning up OR keep Earth freezing over’; obviously, the preposition ‘from’ has to be placed before the ‘EITHER..OR’ construction, because ‘keeping Earth freezing over’ doesn’t logically qualify as a ‘benefit’: ‘… thus keeping Earth from EITHER burning up OR freezing over…’
Construction: subordinating conjunction ‘Although’ is used to introduce a contrast BETWEEN the clause introduced by ‘although’ (subordinate clause) AND the clause following the comma (main clause) - ‘Although [subordinate clause], [main clause]’. This answer choice is a sentence fragment, as it lacks the main clause and consists of one subordinate clause followed by modifiers - ‘Although [subordinate clause], [modifier], [modifier], [main clause –missing]’; furthermore, since the main clause is missing, the implication is that the modifier ‘while also accelerating the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons’ is further describing the benefits of ice particles, whereas, clearly, there is nothing beneficial in the destruction of ozone layer;

(C) act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating

Meaning/Construction: This answer choice makes no grammatical sense; it seems to present a list of benefits, but with complete disregard to parallelism and punctuation: ‘reflect and absorb..., act as X, and thus..., while also accelerating ....’; furthermore, this answer choice is a sentence fragment, as it lacks the main clause and consists of one subordinate clause followed by a long modifier - ‘Although [subordinate clause], [modifier], [main clause –missing]’; furthermore, since the main clause is missing, the implication is that the modifier ‘while also accelerating the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons’ is further describing the benefits of ice particles, whereas, clearly, there is nothing beneficial in the destruction of ozone layer;

(D) they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps the Earth either from burning up or freezing over even though it also accelerates

Unidiomatic: construction ‘thermostat that THUS keeps’ is unidiomatic, the ‘thus’ is completely out of place and unnecessary;
Meaning: the placement of the preposition ‘from’ in the construction ‘keeps the Earth EITHER from burning up OR freezing over’ doesn’t make sense in the given context, as it implies that preposition ‘from’ applies only to the first part of the construction; In other words, ‘Ice particles act as global thermostat and thus EITHER keep Earth from burning up OR keep Earth freezing over’; obviously, the preposition ‘from’ has to be placed before the ‘EITHER..OR’ construction, because ‘keeping Earth freezing over’ doesn’t logically qualify as a ‘benefit’;
Awkward: aside from using a contrasting conjunction ‘although’ without apparent contrast, this answer choice adds another contrasting conjunction ‘even though’, thereby creating an even more awkward sentence;

(E) they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate

Meaning: construction ‘they (ice particles) act as thermostat TO THUS keep Earth…’ nonsensically implies that ‘ice particles intentionally act as thermostat to protect the earth from extreme temperatures’, obviously ‘ice particles are inanimate objects that don’t have free will, not to mention intentions’
Awkward: aside from using a contrasting conjunction ‘although’ without apparent contrast, this answer choice adds another contrasting conjunction ‘but’, thereby creating an even more awkward sentence;

GMATSENSE Guru

Hit KUDOS, if you like the explanation!

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 0

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 04:53
carcass wrote:
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

(A) acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate
(D) they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates

Try to solve ONLY from the meaning standing point. Thanks

in E, "to do" is used to show purpose of main verb, "thus" is used to show effect of main verb. So, "to do" can not go with "thus". E is wrong

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 08:00
Kind of a simple, quick way to determine the answer choice in modifier questions such as these (it does not always apply) is to omit the modifier in the commas. When you take the portion of the sentence in the commas out you realize that the only logical answer choice is "A":

"Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation...they also accelerate the destruction...".

All of the other answer choices are illogical.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 200

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 00:18
carcass wrote:
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

(A) acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate
(D) they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates

Try to solve ONLY from the meaning standing point. Thanks

(A) acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate :
Correct : modifier “acting” correctly modifies the verb benefit
Construction of “Although ….., they also ….” Is correct

Incorrect : parallelism error “either from burning up or (from) freezing” – from is required before “freezing” to correct this error
Construction of “Although …., while …” is awkward and incorrect

Incorrect : Construction of “Although …., while …” is awkward and incorrect
Verb “act” is now associated with ice particles and is highlighting another action of the ice particles rather than providing information about how they benefit earth.

Incorrect : Construction “although ….even though” redundant…
Pronoun error : “it also accelerates” – is singular ..we are talking about ice particles (plural)

Incorrect : “they act …to thus keep earth ….” Change in meaning
They act that way and thus it helps earth…they do NOT in particular act that way IN ORDER to help earth…

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 200

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 486

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 03:05
beckee529 wrote:
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chloroflurocarbons (CFC's).

(D) they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps the Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Can somebody please explain the sentence structure and why certain answer choices are wrong? Thanks.

This sentence tests several things: Sentence construction, idiom and verb agreements
- The sentence starts with "although", which makes the sentence a subordinate; therefore B and C are OUT since there's not an independent clause; B also contains an idiomatic mistake in "either X or Y".
- D is out because "it" wrongly refers to "participles"
- E is out because "but" is both redundant (contrast already shown at the beginning with although - subordinating conjuction) and wrongly open an independent clause, leaving the sentence without an independent clause.

A is CORRECT

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 486

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 123 [1], given: 162

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chloroflurocarbons (CFC's).

(B) acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating Wrong usage missing noun in Independent Clause

(C) act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating Wrong usage missing noun in Independent Clause

(D) they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps the Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also acceleratesAlthough shows contrast even though is not needed

(E) they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate Although shows contrast but is not needed

Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 123 [1], given: 162

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 189

Schools: Haas '20
GPA: 2.99
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 09:53
OA should be A.

Quote:

(D) they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps the Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates

"Acting" is the participial phrase that modifies the prior clause. Nothing wrong with the original way in which the sentence is written.

B) parallelism problem

C) run on sentence.

D) that thus?

E) to thus?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 189

Re: Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2017, 09:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 56 posts ] 

Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap