Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 23 May 2017, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although improved efficiency in converting harvested

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2006, 22:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:49) correct 35% (00:56) wrong based on 1118 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.

(A) in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting.
(B) In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and lowering prices, which boost.
(C) Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, which boosts.
(D) Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply and lower prices, thereby boosting.
(E) When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and lowering prices, which boost.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 27
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2006, 02:08
Can someone tell me what is wrong with C ? :?:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2006, 12:29
avinashbhatm wrote:
Can someone tell me what is wrong with C ? :?:


C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, which boosts.

which boosts should be which boost
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 791
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2006, 14:40
I think there may be a distinction between 'efficiency in' and 'efficiency of'. But I can't put my finger on it. Can somebody explain the difference (if any)?

I vote for A.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5045
Location: Singapore
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 376 [0], given: 0

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2006, 20:36
A - best choice
B - not parallel
C - 'boosts is wrong' --> supply and lowering prices is compound noun
D - 'lenthgy and awkward phrasing'
E - 'when....' is awkward
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 690
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 471 [4] , given: 0

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2008, 12:07
4
This post received
KUDOS
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.

A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
thereby boosting.
B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and
lowering prices, which boost.
C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
which boosts.
D. Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply
and lower prices, thereby boosting.
E. When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply
and lowering prices, which boost.
_________________

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 790
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 0

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2008, 12:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
Sentence has Idiom usage and pronoun referent issue:
Idiom usage Improved efficiency in converting is more appropriate than the Improved efficiency of converting

A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
thereby boosting.
[It has referent issue – it may point to wood products or harvest rates … - eliminate it]
B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and
lowering prices, which boost. [Hold it]

C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
which boosts.

D. Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce
harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply
and lower prices, thereby boosting.

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce
harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply
and lowering prices, which boost. ["When" referes "time in converting" reduces harvest rates - changes the meaning – eliminate it]

Answer: B
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Posts: 585
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 34

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2008, 03:41
You have to have efficiency in something so eliminate C, D, and E. B is incorrect because it doesn't identify what stimulates the demand.

A remains.
_________________

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2009, 21:38
May Take: B

A. awkward - pronoun it refers to improved efficiency, and adverbial phrase thereby boosting consumption modifies verb stimulate wrongly implying that the demand stimulation due increased efficiency, instead of low prices, boost the consumption.
That is, line-of-reasoning is somewhat like this: increased efficiency > stimulate demand > boost consumption.
Correct line of reasoning is increased efficiency > increase supply > lowers prices > boost consumption > stimulate demand
C. Unidiomatic - efficiency of converting
D. passive, changes meaning
E. awkward - use of when, and missing improved efficiency - changes meaning
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 254
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 1

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2009, 06:29
IMO B

Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.


A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
thereby boosting -->it here is not clearly referred to any Noun

B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and
lowering prices, which boost --> the best. No existence of unclearly referred pronoun

C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
which boosts --> same error as A

D. Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce
harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply
and lower prices, thereby boosting -->same error as A.

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce
harvest rates
, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply
and lowering prices, which boost --> the bold face is ungrammatical
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 242
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2009, 12:04
bigtreezl wrote:
B has "because" in it...doesnt the gmat prefer "due to" ? I would have gone with A. In A "it" is not ambiguous because it refers to the action "improved efficiency in...."


"It" may refer to the "improved efficiency in....", however you have to make a conscious effort to decide that it does. This effort is quick and not hard, but you have to make it. When you read the the choice A for the first time, I'm sure you experienced it.

One of the great things GMAT teaches is the elimination of ambiguity, however insignificant it might be. This problem is clearly a perfect example. GMAT teaches that you should not spend mental energy on deciphering word constructions of the author, but rather spend it on thinking over the meaning of what the words convey. It took me a bit of time to realize this, but once I did, it improved my sentence correction skill somewhat. That being said, I still got the wrong answer the 1st time around.

I'm certain B is the best choice here. All IMO, of course, and I'm not a native speaker.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2009
Posts: 393
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 5

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2010, 18:52
I disagree with both A and B.
It has a referent issue:
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.
"it" may refer to harvest rates or improved efficiency.

The use of "which" creates ambiguity:
In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and lowering prices, which boost.
"which" usually refers to the word / phrase immediately preceding it. In this case which refers to lowering prices, but in essence it should refer to both increasing supply and lowering prices.

C,D,E are out anyways. No Solution to this SC.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3830
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 816

Kudos [?]: 6298 [1] , given: 324

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2010, 20:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Limiting to just A and B:

As an accepted custom, in two –part sentences, a pronoun first refers to the subject of the sentence and if there is no appropriate subject for the pronoun, however distantly the subject may be placed, then the given pronoun will try to sticks on to the nearest noun. We have to conjecture that.

In A, the subject is clearly the improved efficiency which befits the pronoun.

Now B: The subordinate clause is in active voice, while the main clause is in passive voice. How parallel is this structure?

If this exercise is from OG or GPREP, then let us take the OA. Otherwise we are entitled to contest the OA.

A is the clear choice.
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 484
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 360

Kudos [?]: 2023 [2] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2013, 11:41
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
prasannar wrote:
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.


A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
thereby boosting.

B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and
lowering prices, which boost.

C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
which boosts.

D. Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply
and lower prices, thereby boosting.

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply
and lowering prices, which boost.


Hi ishancrazee,

In this question C, D "efficiency of converting harvested trees" and "efficiency of harvested trees" are idiomatically incorrect. "When" in (E) is also not preferred because its use will imply of the efficiency at a particular time "when" harvested trees are converted into wood products.

A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
thereby boosting.

(A) correctly uses the participle "boosting" to modify the previous clause, meaning that "boosting" is a result of "increasing supply and lowering prices". Moreover "in converting" usage is better than those in other answer choices.

B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and
lowering prices, which boost.

In (B) if you see the last part "which boost" it means that the verb "boost" should agree with a plural subject, which in this case seems to be "increasing supply and lowering prices". On the other hand, one might say "which" modifies the noun closest to it i.e. prices; this usage will be more preferred. But, even if we take this usage into consideration, we will change the meaning of the original sentence, which intends to say that both "increasing supply and lowering prices" are boosting consumption.

C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
which boosts.

Incorrect as explained above

D. Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply
and lower prices, thereby boosting.

Incorrect as explained above

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply
and lowering prices, which boost.

Incorrect as explained above.

Hope this helps,

Vercules
_________________

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 463
Location: India
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 59

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2013, 12:09
rajathpanta wrote:
Old question... want to post it for discussion!!!


Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.


A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
thereby boosting.

B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and
lowering prices, which boost.

C. Of converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest
rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
which boosts.

D. Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce
harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply
and lower prices, thereby boosting.

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood products may reduce
harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply
and lowering prices, which boost.


Answer: Choice A

Choice C and D uses preposition "of" which is incorrect
Choice E distorts the implied meaning of sentence and sounds fragment "Although improved efficiency when....."
Choice B - I notice a subtle linking verb parallelism error between "may reduce" and "will be stimulated"
_________________

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++



-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 463
Location: India
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 259 [2] , given: 59

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2013, 11:11
2
This post received
KUDOS
neha24 wrote:
Quote:
Sdas wrote :Choice C and D uses preposition "of" which is incorrect


the deal breaker here is not really "of" ."of converting " is not really wrong .the main issue with this B is "which" .the clause starting with "which" has to refer to complete previous clause so usage of "which" is wrong

now in D "Although improved efficiency Of harvested trees" is wrong


Hi Neha,

I differ slightly to your opinion:

Though prepositions have manifold usages, and mostly gets decided by context of sentence, it cannot be ignored as a "no grammar rule"

Through this official question, we understand the usage of "of". Preposition "of" is used to show possession. When we say "improved efficiency of", this improved efficiency must belong to something/someone.

But improved efficiency of harvested tree does not make sense. This is the reason why use of "of" is not appropriate

Use of "improved efficiency in converting" is correct because here improved efficiency has happened in doing some action. So we really need to understand the context of the sentence to be able to use correct preposition.

With regards to "which" yes it is indeed correct, however if I notice an error at the beginning of a sentence, it is good to probe further, but not worth taking time to do so.... that is my personal opinion - leave it or take it!
_________________

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++



-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 6

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2013, 03:05
This is GMAT Prep's OE. I hope this will help some people. I generally do not like the OEs, so I would appreciate if people can discuss about the question.
Attachments

Gmat Q.jpg
Gmat Q.jpg [ 239.05 KiB | Viewed 1737 times ]

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 178
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 56

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 05:10
Nitinaka19 wrote:
My queries is , Could you please explain the sentence structure of choice A mainly "thereby boosting ..." is it a modifier introducing a dependent clause or a independent clause marker?

Secondly , in choice B , Could you please explain the usage of "Because of increasing & lowering" structure , as "Because of Verb-ing seems a wrong usage in GMAT. Correct me where I'm wrong .

Thanks


Thereby is an adverb. In the stem, thereby (as an adverb) is modifying the preceding verbs - increasing and lowering. 'thereby boosting consumption' is indeed an adverbial (thereby is the adverbial conjunct)

The usage of increasing and lowering is wrong in option B. If you wanted to use -ing form, then it could have been written as
Because of an increasing/increased supply and a lowered price ....
In which case, increasing and lowered act as participles modifying the succeeding nouns.

And yes, Because of +ing form is valid. For ex. Because of swimming teacher, I was able to learn swimming much faster.
It is a perfectly valid sentence.

Note: 'Because of' is used as a preposition and 'because' is used as a subordinating conjunction
_________________

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 355
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 70

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 08:57
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.


A. in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
thereby boosting.CORRECT......IT REFERS TO IMPROVED EFFICIENCY...

B. In converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply and
lowering prices, which boost.

C. Ofconverting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices,
which boosts.

D.Of harvested trees being converted into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand, because it will increase supply
and lower prices, thereby boosting.

E. When harvested trees are converted into wood productsmay reduce harvest rates, demand will be stimulated because of increasing supply
and lowering prices, which boost.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 15
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 11

Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 20:00
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees into wood products may reduce harvest rates, it will stimulate demand by increasing supply and lowering prices, thereby boosting consumption.
The option A meets all the parallelism points, hence it should be correct. But the second IT 'it will stimulate demand', is modifying harvest rates, not sure on this.
Re: Although improved efficiency in converting harvested   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2014, 20:00

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 32 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Although improved efficiency in converting the harvested Miraarun12345 0 28 Apr 2014, 23:06
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees rajathpanta 0 15 Nov 2016, 01:23
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees alimad 0 25 Feb 2013, 22:46
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees mymba99 0 20 Feb 2015, 03:35
Although improved efficiency in converting harvested trees jzchina 0 20 Feb 2015, 03:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although improved efficiency in converting harvested

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.