GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 06:52

Happening NOW:

INSEAD Rolling Out R1 Admission Decisions - Join CHAT Room2 to Get Latest Updates from Fellow Applicants

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although in some women, new studies indicate that abnormally

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: Although in some women, new studies indicate that abnormally [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 00:10
I would have picked E if there were no comma after women.
Can mikemcgarry / GMATNinja or any other expert please explain the need for the comma after women?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
darn wrote:
I would have picked E if there were no comma after women.
Can mikemcgarry / GMATNinja or any other expert please explain the need for the comma after women?

Dear darn,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, if an answer looks totally right except for where you think a comma should or shouldn't be, it's probably right. Remember, the GMAT does not test punctuation, and it most certainly would not test the presence/absence of a single comma. You would be well advised to hold the commas at a slightly lower level of priority.

Why is that comma needed? This is hard to say. Fundamentally, a comma represents a short pause in spoken language: if you are used to the sound of English being spoken, then this would be clearer. The comma serves to isolate the term "abnormally low levels of melatonin," giving this sophisticated scientific term a little rhetorical boost, and thus adding a little clarity to the sentence. The sentence would not be "wrong" without the comma, but it's a slightly clearer this way.

My friend, there is absolutely no way to get to GMAT SC mastery by learning some mythical "complete" list of rules. No such list exists. You have to develop intuition for the "feel" of the language, and this comes with frequent exposure. See:
GMAT Critical Reasoning and Outside Knowledge
In your case, I also would recommend either listening to well-spoken English (perhaps an academic podcast) or finding an English conversation partner. Having the "feel" of the language ultimately will answer many of these sorts of questions.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 15:01
This is a tricky one, but here's my attempt to explain it.

Although in some women, new studies indicate that abnormally low levels of the light-sensitive hormone melatonin in them may contribute to premenstrual depression, doctors are hesitant to recommend light therapy until additional studies have been completed.

A) Although in some women, new studies indicate that abnormally low levels of the light-sensitive hormone melatonin in them
2 problems with this one. 1) Although needs to go with a clause. 2) " Although in some women, new studies indicate that" suggets that the new studies are actually inside ladies. (I'm guessing that's not the type of study we'd like to refer over here)
B) Although new studies indicate that levels of the abnormally low light-sensitive hormone melatonin in some women
levels of low hormone vs. low levels of hormone. This is where I got trapped. These are NOT the same. The study indicates low levels of X attribute to Y, NOT levels of low X attribute to Y. A very sneaky PLACEMENT issue. This is what is meant by people saying "altered the intent" but I hope this displayed more clear here.
C) Although new studies in some women indicate that abnormally low levels of the light-sensitive hormone melatonin
"in some women" has the 2) problem in A.
D) Despite the fact that new studies are indicating abnormally low levels of melatonin, a light-sensitive hormone in some women that
"in some women that contribute to" puts an essential modifier on women, not low levels of hormone.
E) Despite new studies that indicate that in some women, abnormally low levels of melatonin, a light-sensitive hormone,
Extremely awkward sounding..but correct. Don't fall for the awkward elimination trap here. (cuz Damn it, I did)

Insanity at its finest.

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 16:51
boiled down to B and E, modifiers are in wrong places in B.
Re: Although in some women, new studies indicate that abnormally   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2017, 16:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Although in some women, new studies indicate that abnormally

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap